Baptism Acclamation and Confirmation during Easter Vigil
  • henry
    The World Library worship aid "Let Us Celebrate" specifies a sung acclamation after each Baptism during the Vigil, and includes the rite of Confirmation. The Roman Missal mentions neither. Anyone know why?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I thought the Roman Missal did specify that one "may" be used. I'll have to look later.
  • chonakchonak
    From the Rite of Christian Initiation, maybe?
  • Kathy
    I seem to recall a big disjunct between the RCIA and the Missal on this point.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I seem to recall a big disjunct between the Rites versus the Christian Initiation of Adults in general. YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    The key rubrical question is: when does the glitter get tossed and balloons released, and who does it?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood G
  • ronkrisman
    In the Easter Vigil section of the Roman Missal, only rubrical directives are given (in nos. 48-53) for the baptisms (and, possibly, confirmations) which will occur during that celebration. It is understood that other liturgical books will have to be used for these sacramental rites. (And rubrics nos. 48, 49, 53 refer to "respective Rites of the Roman Ritual" and, for confirmation, "the Roman Pontifical or Roman Ritual.")

An order of worship designed for the Easter Vigil will have to include elements both from the Missal and from the sacramental ritual book(s) (when there are going to be baptisms). The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults and the Rite of Baptism of Children both say that a short acclamation is appropriate after each baptism (see RBC nos. 60, 97, 124, 150; RCIA nos. 226, 317, 358, 575).

I think many priests find the jumping from the Missal to a ritual book (or books) at the Easter Vigil and on other occasions a royal PITA (should this be added to the Forum's abbreviation list?). That may partly account for the proliferation of "ceremonial binders" at many liturgical celebrations, even those where a bishop presides. Unfortunately, the Apostolic See does not appear to recognize that the way liturgical texts are presented - to facilitate the ease of use by the presiding bishop, priest, or deacon - is important.
  • Unfortunately, the Apostolic See does not appear to recognize that the way liturgical texts are presented - to facilitate the ease of use by the presiding bishop, priest, or deacon - is important.

As someone who makes a large number of those "ceremonial binders," I find this statement to be abundantly true.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood G
  • Building on Fr. Ron’s excellent commentary above, both the Rite of Baptism for Children and the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults offer an appendix of texts of acclamations, hymns in the style of the New Testament, and songs from ancient liturgies. My favorite from this last category is: “Holy Church of God, stretch out your hand and welcome your children, newborn of water and of the Spirit of God” but I’ve never seen that text set to music.

In 1977, ICEL published a collection entitled Music for the Rite of Funerals and Rite of Baptism for Children. (These settings were also included in the 1981 publication of the ICEL Resource Collection.) A number of proven composers from English-speaking countries were commissioned to write music for this collection. Several of the baptism acclamations are included, written by composers Arthur Hutchings, Christopher Willcock, Howard Hughes, and Ralph Verdi. The joyful setting by Howard Hughes seems to have received the most exposure in hymnals: “You have put on Christ, in him you have been baptized. Alleluia.”

Some may find it reassuring to know that the use of an acclamation after baptism was not an invention of those who worked on the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, but has precedence in the Rite of Baptism for Children.

In my opinion, these acclamation texts (as well as the songs from ancient liturgies) provide a fertile field for composers.

A wider question would be whether or not music is even used during celebrations of baptism of children (outside of Mass) in most parishes. Does it take place in a semi-darkened church by a tired priest or deacon following the last Mass on Sunday afternoon without music, or is it celebrated well with music? Perhaps this could be the topic of a separate thread on this forum.
    Thanked by 2ronkrisman CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Fr. Chepponis,

Why not initiate such a thread? It would likely be most welcome.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Fr. Chepponis, Why not initiate such a thread? It would likely be most welcome.

Done!
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Thank you Andrew Motyka for your great contribution!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    We use Confirma hoc for confirmations. I can't recall the Baptism chant off the top of my head, but it's the Revelations text from the acclamations in the Appendix listed above. I found the chant at cantusdatabase.org.