Unanswered Question(s)-MSF Chaos Theory
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This is a thread in a quantum universe. One needs not to have to have seen the new "Cosmos" last night to participate. All comentary should be regarded as Schroediger's Kat; it could be here, or it might be elsewhere. When you're not sure if whatever you should have said or wanted to say in other threads irks you, post it here instead.
    I'll start.

"Spam in Aluminum." Why, Jackson, do Brits always pronounce it al-yoo-mih- nee-uhm?

The Situation? IrishTenor, do you self pronounce your name as "Sih-TOO-ay-shun?"?

Wendi, I just found your Liber under two tons of messenger bags in my back seat. That's where it is, or isn't.

Ben, 'fess up, why is there total radio silence from JTuckerland?

Who's planning to be at Indy besides Chonak and Motyka? I'm gonna try to drive to the Carolinas, need to know whether to make a left turn somewhere beyond Albequerque.

Happy Birthday, Bill Mahrt! Everyday is your birthday in our universe!

Who's planning on going to this week's LAREC in Anaheim? Will the taiko drums make a triumphant return with an Eric Whitacre Virtual Quire in a "joint" production of Allegri's Miserere?

What would happen if we all performed the Allegri while taking the medicine Allegra? Would we enuciate it as if from Branson, MO? "Miz-uh-RAY-RAY?"

I'm trying to read a new translation of iNFERNO; where is the ring for pastoral musicians?

Dass is genug! Fur jetzt....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Brits spell aluminum with an extra "i": A L U M I N I U M.
    They also spell Savior with a "u": S A V I O U R.
    They also have a lot more instances of silent "h" than we do. To some West Pondelians, that's simply an 'orrible problem.

But I'm good with all that. :-)

If you're from Miz-OO-ruh, wouldn't you pronounce "Miserere" as "Miz-uh-ruh-ruh"?

Maybe Jeffrey is just plumb Tuckered out?

Doesn't it bother you that we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

From what five letter English word can you remove four letters and still have the same thing? I'll remain silent about it for awhile.

Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach.

Die Männer, die vor dem Schokoladenladen Laden laden, laden Ladenmädchen gerne ein.

And, Adam ... be glad your given name isn't Esau:

Esau Wood sawed wood. Esau Wood would saw wood. All the wood Esau Wood saw, Esau Wood would saw. In other words, all the wood Esau saw to saw, Esau sought to saw. Oh, the wood Wood would saw! And, oh the wood-saw with which Wood would saw wood! But one day, Wood's wood-saw would saw no wood, and thus the wood Wood sawed was not the wood Wood would saw if Wood's wood-saw would saw wood. Now, Wood would saw wood with a wood-saw that would saw wood, so Esau sought a saw that would saw wood. One day, Esau saw a saw saw wood as no other wood-saw Wood saw would saw wood. In fact, of all the wood-saws Wood ever saw saw wood, Wood never saw a wood-saw that would saw wood as the wood-saw Wood saw saw wood would saw wood, and I never saw a wood-saw that would saw as the wood-saw Wood saw would saw until I saw Esau Wood saw wood with the wood-saw Wood saw saw wood. Now Wood saws wood with the wood-saw Wood saw saw wood.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Hmmmm? :: M?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The "h" isn't silent in Hmmmm.

And I'm looking for an English word that you can find in the dictionary.
  • Spriggo
    I'm surprised people aren't "lining up" to answer your question.
    Thanked by 2nun_34 CHGiffen
  • G
    In an infinite number of universes, I assure you that in none of them am I dancing.

But in all of them I am going to Indianapolis.

Do you like liver best or liverwurst?

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "And everyone was an 'Enery, she wouldn't 'ave a Willie or a Sam.
    I'm the eighth old man named 'Enery, 'Enery the eighth I am!" Peter Noone.
    (Did Dan Schutte every ponder using that great song as a cantus firmus?)

Chuck, Jeffrey's added plumbing to his resume, or rezuhmuh?

Are we made of star-stuff or God-stuff? Someone call Carl 'cause Neil Dyson's still hedging Cosmos bets.

Can someone in NYC, maybe Pedro or Fr. Rutler, give Cdl. Dolan a ring and politely suggest he avoid the media for just one day a week?

Esau a schwa. B'bye.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    why is there total radio silence from JTuckerland?

Tucker is full-throttle engaged with his new start-up, Liberty.me

This video is out-of-date (the crowd-fund campaign completed), but it's still the best explanation of what the project is all about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0lBr3Na4mI

I'm trying to read a new translation of iNFERNO;

New to you, or new in existence?
    I recently read John Ciardi's. Pretty Good.

I don't find any of the various rhyme schemes particularly satisfying.

Personally, I think the best meter for APPROXIMATING the damn-hard terza rima in English would be paired, loosely-throchaic tercets reminiscent of medieval sequence poetry, AAB CCB / DDE FFE / etc....

Half of our life's journey made,
    I find myself in wooded shade,
    Having lost the the pathway right.

So hard is it now to say
    What was this wild wooded way,
    Which, in thought alone, gives fright.

So bitter, death is little more,
    but the good for me in store,
    bids me speak - and so, I do.

I know not how how I entered in,
    So full was I of slumber when
    I left and lost the pathway true.

Having, then, a mountain found
    at the valley's furthest bound
    (the valley that so vexed my soul),

I looked up to the mountain's crest,
    saw its shoulders brightly dressed
    in starlight from the traveler's pole.

-adapt. AMW (just now)

where is the ring for pastoral musicians?

Seven, middle: Violence against self.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hint: In the 5 letter word problem, one removes the first 4 letters.
  • The British pronounce aluminium 'aluminium' because they spell it correctly and, unlike us over here, don't leave out a letter and a syllable. The question, rather, is why 'we' say it and spell it incorrectly. It may have something to do with a fundamental attraction to incorrectness, political or otherwise.

As for Missouri: anyone from there can tell you that if you are from there you will pronounce Missouri 'Missouruh', and that after doing so you will be asked, 'where is that?'. (But any enlightened Missourian will pronounce 'miserere' correctly, however that is.)

And, Chuck, that MUST be the king, nay, the emperor, of all tongue twisters! And to think that I thought 'The skunk sat on the stump; the stump said the skunk stunk, and the skunk said the stump stunk' was challenging! (P.S.: try making a vocalise with your choir-schola out of your favourite tongue twister: this is really a good exercise in diction!)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Ben, 'fess up, why is there total radio silence from JTuckerland?

I killed him and stole all his bow ties.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    I'll also be in indy.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Ben, since you've hit the motherlode of bow ties, why don't you spread the wealth around to some of your Midwest brethren?!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • CharlesW
    I thought it was a lethal bowtie virus that had jumped species and killed him. Either that, or the tea party got him. ;-)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  • francis
    How much music could a Giffen-Chuck chuck if a Giffen-Chuck Could chuck Music?

Ahh, but he does run a music board, and I suspect he has to chuck a lot!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • “From what five letter English word can you remove four letters and still have the same thing?”

Aitch
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I believe the standard answer is q[ueue], but [aitc]h works for me!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Both aitch and queue are correct. I dropped enough hints about H with my references to silent H. And Spriggo evidently knew the queue answer.

Thanks for the fun, everyone!

Now, what's unusual(?) about the following:

"Doc, note, I dissent: a fast never prevents a fatness (I diet on cod)."
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • francis
    its a palindrome
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • gregpgregp
    I'll say it every day: Weird Al is a genius.
    Thanked by 2Ben CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There was a Scottish painter named Smokey MacGregor who was very interested in making a penny where he could, so he often thinned down his paint to make it go a wee bit further.

As it happened, he got away with this for some time, but eventually the local church decided to do a big restoration job on the outside of one of their biggest buildings.

Smokey put in a bid and, because his price was so low, he got the job. So he set about erecting the scaffolding and setting up the planks, and buying the paint and yes, I am sorry to say, thinning it down with turpentine.........

Well, Smokey was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, the sky opened and the rain poured down washing the thinned paint from all over the church and knocking Smokey clear off the scaffold to land on the lawn among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint.

Smokey was no fool. He knew this was a judgment from the Almighty, so he got down on his knees and cried:

"Oh God, Oh God, forgive me; what should I do?"

And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke:

"Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more!"

"Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light."

• AAAAARGH!
    ('unthanked')