Two side of the same coin...
  • Reading Adventures in Sacred Music - Wendi's Wailing from the Choir Loft over on my website, something came to mind. As I recall, she mentioned something about the pastor at her church having come from another denomination....of course, I could be totally wrong, but that got me thinking no matter where I read it!

A friend's elderly Baptist mother is organist for a small Methodist church here in the South of the USA. The pastor is a former Catholic priest, now married and serving as a Methodist pastor. (Incidentally, Methodist churches in the South often have former Southern Baptist pastors who divorce, get fired as a result and end up Methodist).

She is VERY unhappy with his music choices, heavily influenced by his 1970's Catholic music background.

On the other hand, we have Wendi, serving a former Episcopal priest, now Catholic. Most of these priests come from fine seminaries, often with outstanding music programs.

I doubt that many of us realize the possibilities and promise of these men being absorbed into the Roman Church, bringing with them a much higher level of musical expectations - in hymns alone - that can influence the future as we are all doing.

Get a chance to work with one of these guys? Go for it!
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • Blaise
    With Pope Benedict XVI's newest decree on the Anglican Ordinariates, I can't wait to see the influence that comes over into the Masses of the Roman Missal. The new English translations of the Roman Missal were already partially influenced by the work on the Book of Divine Worship. Now, let's see if the music comes along.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I don't know where I'd be without my Anglican Hymnal (1982) from which I take hymn selections almost every week at our EF Missa Cantata. Our pastor gave it to me shortly after I began playing at the mass. He also gave me a video of a sung mass at an Anglican Ordinariate in Texas, and that is the paradigm I've followed ever since at our Latin Mass: vernacular hymns at opening and closing, chanted propers and ordinary and polyphony. Our pastor has worked extensively with the Anglicans and the Anglican Ordinariate over the years and there is indeed much to be learned from them.
  • Let's be honest. All the best hymns were written mostly by Anglicans or were Anglican translations of Lutheran hymns, or in many cases by Methodists.

We Catholics haven't written many good hymns for a couple of centuries.
  • ghmus7
    Can we have the humility to see that the Anglican Ordinariate is one of the best things that has happened to the Catholic Church?
  • CharlesW
    I have to agree about it being one of the best things to come along. I would go work for them if a parish existed in my area.
  • Actually, Hartley, back in the late 1800's, a good number of what we consider to be Methodist and Anglican hymns today appeared in Catholic hymnals, written in most cases by Catholic priests. I was really surprised by this.

We really do welcome the Ordinariate and their priests, but are put off by the snobbishness of some of the musicians that came with them or took positions. However, that's pretty common in the Episcopal world. There are two very restrictive anglican musical interest groups - one requires that you be a cathedral musician - which adds to the snob appeal.

That's not to say all Episcopal musicians are snobbish, mind you.
  • CharlesW
    Snobbish musicians? Is outrage!!!
  • Catholics can be snobby, too.
    In fact I've noticed that the more conservative a Catholic is the greater his or her snobery towards Anglicans is likely to be, particularly towards Anglo-Catholics.
    And, they really have nothing at all to be snobby about!
  • And, they really have nothing at all to be snobby about!

Well, this is special...
  • Well, of course it is (or thinks it is!)... specialness is what snobbery is all about.
  • CharlesW
    With the ultra- conservative Catholics, it may be caused by lead poisoning from munching on those Chinese-made mantillas. Or maybe toxic ink absorption from clutching "The Wanderer" too tightly. (Purple Bold) With Episcopalians, it may come from playing dress up and let's pretend since 1563 (Purple Purple Bold)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Is this some bad parody of a Monty Python sketch?
  • ryandryand
    What is the average air-speed velocity of a liqcuesent neume, in a gothic cathedral with tile floors but padded kneelers?
  • What's the current humidity and temperature? Accompanied or unaccompanied?
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Anglicans give us great hymnody in part because they were forced to abandon the propers with their georgrous melodies. So there's a reason to be proud/ snobbish, but there's also many reasons to feel great loss.

In the English speaking world Anglicans still have much to offer because most English speaking Catholics have abandoned the Gregorian propers- the authentic ones- in practice.

Within the confines that were dictated as part of the reformation, Anglican musicians of good will managed admirably. Musicians lived on tax revenue, the state fined Catholics (or worse), took over Church property, and dissolved monasteries. So Anglicans made beautiful works, but at a great price to Catholics.

There is a real wound that needs to time and honesty to heal.

While we have much to learn from Anglicans, they also have much to restore.

In terms of beautiful sacred music of the west, we are limiting ourselves if we look only or even primarily at Anglican musical tradition. We can learn a lot from the French, the Poles, certainly Dutch and German Catholics, too, as well as some contributions by Spanish, Italian and Portugese. They didn't have quite the forced artistic rupture that we English Catholics and Anglicans did.
  • Put together Anglican hymnody and Catholic authentic Gregorian propers, and then include polyphonic music from all over Europe, and that's a more complete picture of what sung liturgy could be in the English speaking world if a tyrant king hadn't gone off the deep end and started a state church.
  • Blaise
    Thomas Tallis (listen to his "If Ye Love Me" sometime) is one of those Anglican composers that I admire. William Byrd is another, but he played a double life, writing music for the Chapel Royal on one hand and also "illicit" music for underground Catholic Masses on the other (there was an article in the Fall 2009 edition of Sacred Music) on him.

All the same, I agree with MaryAnn Carr Wilson that the Anglicans also have something to learn from us as well.
  • Paul, I share your love of Tallis' works. My understanding is that Byrd's music written for the persecuted Church was only illicit in the eyes of the (unjust) English laws of the time.

I do not envy Byrd's position. While I like to think I would have been brave, and resisted like the resolute Thomas More, or even cared for priests like the cunning Margaret Clitherow, forgive me, I don't know how I would have managed in such harsh and confusing times. IIRC, Byrd is thought to have died a faithful Catholic.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Those Tallis and Byrd pieces could fill many a concert under the heading of "Forbidden Music".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I hope you are right. I am drowning in a sea of OCP and the closest Anglican-Use parish is 150 miles away in San Antonio.
  • Blaise
    I have edited my post to put "illicit" in quotes so as not to give the impression that it was unlawful in the sight of the Church.....only in the eyes of the Crown. Thanks for the heads up.

Byrd's "Ave Verum" is a piece which we (an Anglican Use parish) use at least once a year, sometimes during Holy Week.
  • Blaise
    Benedictgal,

I invite you to come to San Antonio and visit our parish someday.
  • GavinGavin
    I know of a long-ago convert from Episcopalianism in my home town who came into a parish and removed the central tabernacle so he'd have a place to sit, and when the venerable and extremely talented organist retired hired a guy with a guitar.

Paul: at which parish are you? I have a friend in San Antonio looking for a good parish.
  • Blaise
    Gavin,

I am at Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, 15415 Red Robin Road, off of Babcock and North Loop 1604 W (for those not familiar with San Antonio, IH 10, running down North-South, divides the North Loop into East and West).

We are the first Anglican Use parish in the United States, indeed the world, and our parish just celebrated its 30th anniversary on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Mother; likewise our pastor celebrated his 30th anniversary on the same date (we had our major celebrations on our 25th anniversary year, replete with a banquet with the then archbishop and Choral Evensong and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament). This date was purposely selected by him for his ordination, the establishment of the parish, and the reception of several former Anglicans into the Catholic church. We use the hymnal 1982, among other traditional hymnals; well okay, the organists use the hymnal, the rest of us sing from the bulletin, but you know what I mean. :) Nevertheless, it is still usually easy to sing the bass part by listening to the organ.

The parish uses the Anglican Use (according to the Book of Divine Worship: one early morning Low Mass on Sunday, two sung Masses on Sunday, Monday through Thursday low Masses and sung school Masses, and all Holy Days of Obligation) and also the Latin of the Ordinary Form of the Roman Missal (one Sunday evening Mass and Friday school Masses).

I do plan on visiting the local Traditional Latin Mass community in the spring (which is not located at our parish; it is currently meeting at St. Piux X, an archdiocesan parish, not SSPX).

Your friend (and anyone who can sing) is welcome to join the parish choir. We always need good singers. I sing for the major feasts and at special events such as Nine Lessons and Carols, Choral Evensong in commemoration of All Souls, etc. While we are in the middle of rehearsals for Nine Lessons and Carols, if your friend is interested in joining the choir next year, rehearsals are at 7 pm on Thursdays except as noted by the DoM. Our parish has just renovated the choir room so that there are wooden risers. The main literature for the adult choir is taken from the New Church Anthem Book (we have copies, so no need to buy anything), supplemented by materials from the Choral Public Domain Library (such as Palestrina's Sicut Cervus, for example), and other materials. Choral ordinaries of the Mass are by a variety of high quality Catholic (Viadanna, etc.) and Anglican composers (Nicholson, Darke, etc.). The DoM supplies all music. I am just writing this so to give you an example of the literature which is sung at this parish. Low voices sing minor propers before the people sing high quality hymns, though on special feasts, the DoM selects a chamber group from the adult choir to sing choral offertoire. Mass is sung through, with very few spoken texts (including the Roman Canon).

Now, the parish does have a choir in residence which sings for Choral Evensong about once per liturgical season. The conductor thereof, Dr. Finster, sets his own joining policies.

One more thing: incense is used at sung Masses and Choral Evensong. Most of the time it doesn't disturb anyone. However, on the Feast of the Assumption this year, our pastor, deacon, and altar server (each with incensing duties) introduced our larger thurible, and one could actually see the incense rafting from the high altar towards the nave.

If you wanted a paid opportunity, though, you just missed it. Our latest assistant organist and academy choral music teacher was hired last January.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Paul, my brother Danny Davila sings at Our Lady of Atonement. Perhaps you know him?
  • Blaise
    For which Mass, Clemens? I am sorry to admit that I do not know the names of all our singers, or even a third.
  • He sings tenor at the 11am Mass, though he occasionally attends the 6pm Latin Mass.
  • Remember that Tallis, while he composed works for the Anglican state church, remained a Catholic in the same way Byrd did.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Having the chance to work with former anglo-catholics and former lutheran-catholics who are now 100% genuine roman catholic priests is indeed a profound blessing.

Everyday I recognize how much better the future of our church will be for the more traditional balanced influence they bring to everything they do. These priests see the whole picture in a unique way, having come from flirting with the wide range of heterodoxy found within protestantism. From this they know both what elements they must compromise temporarily and in what manner they must NOT compromise, so as to not weaken the faith of their flock.

I also realize though how much many future seminarians look up to them and will follow in their footsteps.

Father James Bradley (of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham blesses Catholic University of America Press's new icon of Blessed John Henry Newman. (15 Nov, 2013)

I agree with MaryAnn's view that we can learn much from everyone of these cultures. The huge collection of propers, motets and sequences known "Choralis Constantinus" by Heinrich Isaac from the german catholic regions seems as nice as anything to come from England. I could never limit myself to only one culture regarding church music.

It is also refreshing, when inviting a friend to visit the mass I attend, to not have the excuse used of not liking "mass in latin" as a reason to avoid traditional liturgy, as it now is able to exist in english also.

I want to say though, that the diocesan latin masses, Institute of christ the King, FSSP, SSPX and all other latin mass communities are very important and equally influential for positive future developments. I can't say that a complete eye to eye agreement exists as much as it should between the Ordinariate and the Latin Mass communities, partly due to "politics". From my perspective it is inevitable and unavoidable that these groups are going to intersect in a positive harmonious manner and find more and more complete personal agreement over time, in a few regions they already have been.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One of the most mind-changing realizations for me, in terms of my long slow drift away from proggie-folkie 90's liturgy to my current thinking and preferences was noticing how illiberal it is that mainstream liturgy all looked and sounded so much the SAME. The same all year round, the same from place to place. Enculturation? Hardly.

For reasons that escape even me, I like to think of myself as "liberal." I mean that not in a political way but in a more fundamental way - of having a liberality of spirit. Somewhere between Summorum and Anglicanorum I realized that the Benedict's liturgical agenda was liberal in a way that all the fakey mainstream crap never could be. I mean, particularly, that he (and "the movement") was allowing for, even asking for, a wide variety of legitimate liturgical expression. He was saying that, indeed, there is more than one way to celebrate the Mass, and that drawing from the rich history of our many traditions (and even sanctifying the human mistakes of the last century) provides us a way forward out of our habits, routines, and complacency.

There is a lot of talk (around here especially) about the ideal way to celebrate the Roman Rite. I think that's fine and good to consider, and there certainly should be plenty of EF Solemn High Masses with fully chanted propers going on in the world. But even inasmuch as an ideal exists for one particular theoretical celebration (if you can only have one kind of Mass - here's the way to do it), I think that the ideal from the standpoint of the whole Universal Church is a plurality not just of Rites (East/West) but also Forms, Uses, styles and legitimate local adaptations. And you don't get that from a mariachi workshop at NPM. You get that from within the storehouse of treasures built up by faithful Christians in all times and places over the last two millenia.

SEMPER ET UBIQUE
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Speaking of finding common ground between different liturgical expressions, it's lovely the way the different churches in my village of Amityville get along amicably with each other, at least on a a social and civic level. There is a Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist and Lutheran church within a 6-block radius, and they sometimes collaborate by alternately hosting a Christmas carol service.

The Catholic and Episcopalian parishes are esp. close and are literally adjacent to each other. You can see in the picture on the banner here how close the steeple of St. Martin's Catholic Church is to St. Mary's.

The pastor of St. Mary's Episcopal has a very traditional liturgy, and we've seen him in a biretta and Roman chasuble at his Sunday Sung Mass.
  • Blaise
    Speaking of the biretta, I enjoy seeing our clergy where them. It is quite classy seing them recess and them tip their cap at the name of the Blessed Mother mentioned in a hymn. There is a sense of reverence there that I hope is not lost on visitors to our parish. It is not merely the biretta, though I think they are stylish. It is about the reverence shown.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

(Yes, you can buy it. Yes, it is overpriced.)
    483 x 439 - 145K
  • Blaise
    Ummm......well....... :)
  • While we have much to learn from Anglicans, they also have much to restore.

Have the Church of England or the Crown ever formally apologized for their persecution of Catholics?

I sang with Anglo-Catholics for years, before and after my conversion. (I jumped ship when somebody convinced me that I may not have been getting the Real Presence after all.) It's taken me awhile to realize the ways in which the Anglo-Catholic muse is not the Roman Catholic Muse; there are still A-C compositional habits (and below them, a Lutheran layer) which I haven't broken (and am not sure I want to.) I find that there's something, well, imperialistic about the later Anglican repertoire. "I have something to say, and I am saying it with a big choir and full organ, and you WILL listen." RC music doesn't care if you listen, as long as you pray.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, the Anglicans do sing and play with authority, but I find that very appealing. Their hymns seem to embody the old Roman virtues: auctoritas, gravitas, pietas, benignitas, veritas, simplicitas, dignitas, etc.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    RC music doesn't care if you listen, as long as you pray.

Isn't that the point?
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • If it felt like the authority of the Church, Julie, that would be one thing. It feels like the authority of the State, or of the composer. It imposes, and I don't want to be imposed upon. YMMV. But the best of that repertoire is very convincing indeed.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's really an interesting perspective. I don't often think of the Anglican Church as being the state religion of Great Britain, but if one is used to associating the royal/political pomp and circumstance with Anglican hymnody, it might be difficult to separate the two, and I can see how it might become quite problematic.
  • I don't often think of the Anglican Church as being the state religion of Great Britain,

Supreme Governor