Flickr line art
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I was really frustrated with figuring out how to download these wonderful line art pictures, as there are no instructions anywhere (that I could find) on how to do it, and for a neo-luddite like myself, technology is not only baffling but thoroughly annoying.

Would someone kindly save others from the colossal waste of time I suffered through and post some simple instructions on how this task is accomplished? I'm now behind in a project because I had to try and figure it out by trial-and-error.

Thanks.
  • jpal
    I was going to post instructions, but now when I click the link from CMAA, I get a server error. Perhaps chonak can advise.
  • chonakchonak
    Flickr and picasa keeps changing their user interfaces, so old instructions are of limited use.

But if you can locate where the site stores the image in multiple sizes, use that to download the largest version possible; then you can use your own image editor (GIMP, Photoshop, etc.) to resize the image per your needs.

The Picasa link above does work for me at the moment, on my phone.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Thanks. This was specifically a Flickr issue for me.

Apparently, saving an image is a three-step process that is much like seeking the Holy Grail. (One must get past the Knight . . . "NONE shall pass" . . . then the bridge troll . . . "What is your name - what is your quest" . . . THEN confront the belligerent Frenchmen in the castle . . . "Go away before we taunt you a second time" . . . )

First, click on the image itself, which will take you to a new page with the full image. When you right-click, it gives you copyright info, and the ability to select the size at which you wish to view the image. It is at that point that it takes you to yet another page with the image, wherein you can right-click and save.

ISTM the process is neither intuitive nor user-friendly.

I hope I'm the only one who has to live through such a frustrating experience.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Only the penitent man shall pass.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Speaking of penitence, are there more of these images someplace that might have ones for Lent or baptism?
  • Canadash: I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with that link. All I find there are PDFs that essentially advertise for CCW.

Also, am I missing something? I don’t see anything “Lenten” on there except more Passiontide-ish stuff.
  • BenBen
    I'm not a huge fan of CCW branding everything they have, but to be fair, they turned them all into vector images (in the PDFs) which is fantastic. All you have to do is crop a bit, and perhaps invert the colors. Very, very useful
  • canadashcanadash
    They may not be exactly what you need with regard to the "Lenten" theme you are after. Sorry about that. I do save the images as PDFs and then insert them in my program.
  • I’m also looking for something a bit smaller in scale … rather than a page-size image, the short/wide aspect ratio of the Flickr images is very useful for filling in space at the bottom of a page or what not.

Ben: I wonder if it would be possible (legal?) to extract parts of the image to SVG.
  • BenBen
    I might be mistaken, but I believe inkscape can import pdfs as vector (where the original source is vector, of course).
  • Good thought, Ben! I’ll give that a whirl.
  • BenBen
    update: this evening, for an unrelated project, I successfully used inkscape to import vector data from a pdf, modified it, and outputted to svg and other inkscape formats. So it is at least theoretically possible, given properly formatted source data.