Three Entrance Antiphons for the End of this year
  • I have set the Entrance and Communion Antiphon texts for the 31st, 32nd, 33rd Sundays to common hymn/song tunes, with the idea that they will serve as "Intros" to the same songs used as Gathering Hymns and Communion Processionals. I'm interested in your reactions and responses. If you are interested in using these, please send me a note. Thanks.
    [P]
    Paul Prochaska
    paul@prochaska.com
  • chonakchonak
    An interesting approach: it might be an appealing way to introduce the singing of propers at a parish where these contemporary songs are typically used. Certainly getting people to sing these authentic texts from the Missal would be a real step up in practicing a sound liturgical approach, as compared to just singing songs with non-liturgical texts.

Oh -- or are you thinking of it the other way around? using the propers as a half-way measure to introduce the original songs? Well, the Church's ideal is to sing the real antiphons and Mass parts chosen by the Church. As the old saying goes: "sing the Mass; don't just sing at the Mass."

I'm sure other folks will have comments; maybe some have done similar work.

Welcome.
    --RC, forum admin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm curious about the copyright issue here. Unless you have been granted permission, these seem like clear violations.
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, he may need to buy permission to make an arrangement of the music, if he were to publish these in print or on the net (including here).
  • Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I thought seriously about the copyright issues, too. But, as we all know, "plagiarism is the highest form of flattery"! (I know; "Tell that to the Judge!"). Clearly, I would have to ask the copyright holders for permission, were I to take this practice anywhere outside my own parish. It's too bad; our copyright laws are so restrictive!

As to the Propers issue, I would like to hear the Propers sung at all my parish masses, where, presently, they are only sung at one other mass, which is a fully sung Gregorian/Latin Mass led by William Mahrt (yes, I hope you recognize the name!). But at the other six weekend masses, the Propers are ignored. My mass community is not ready to try the Gregorian melodies, so I thought of marrying the Proper text to song-melodies that they would know, and it seems to have worked rather well. A half-way measure? Yes, but I think that half-way is far better than no-way at all. That's my $.02.5 worth. [P]
  • chonakchonak
    Indeed! Congratulations on it!

Eventually, you may want to make use of other English-language settings of the propers, such as
    Simple English Propers,
    Simple Choral Gradual (interesting Byzantine-style harmonized settings),
    By Flowing Waters (seasonal propers)
    and other projects listed here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's too bad; our copyright laws are so restrictive!

I wholly agree with this.

Clearly, I would have to ask the copyright holders for permission, were I to take this practice anywhere outside my own parish.

That's not accurate, actually. You've already violated copyright law- you did so the first time you put one of those melodies into your notation software, and do so again every time you print one or post a copy online.

Church use is only "covered" for performance. That is to say (and this is really weird, I think)- you can sing any of those melodies, or play them on an instrument, without permission. However you may not make copies of the score- not for your congregation, and not even for your own self or choir.

For what you are doing, you'd have to get permission to make and adaptation and to reprint it.

You could, however, print words only in a program, and even put into the program the name of the tune you are planning to use, and everyone could sing along without violating anything.

(It's a weird world we live in.)

I wonder if there aren't well-known Public Domain hymn tunes (as in, from older hymns) that you could use for adaptations of this nature, and you could still play them in whatever folk or contemporary style people are accustomed to in your parish.

Also, if you are a composer as well, I wonder if you have given much thought to writing your own Propers in a contemporary style.

I think this is a great idea- but with the copyright situation what it is, I'm afraid that it will, eventually, turn into a dead-end. I'd love to see more of this kind of work (Propers in various styles) being done.
  • Kathy
    Copyright is the Best. Thing. Ever.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Copyright is the Best. Thing. Ever.

In that it restricts the promulgation of most things created in the 20th Century, the Worst. Century. Ever.
  • Kathy
    You can play John Cage as long as it's 4' 34" or more.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I'll bet that piece is copyrighted, too! ;-)
  • ronkrisman
    I'll bet that piece is copyrighted, too! ;-)

It is, but don't overlook the possibility of performing the piece (for Church use, of course) by rote. At most the conductor would need a score to keep all the performers "on the same page," as it were.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Copyright can make it possible for creative people to try and make a living.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Exactly. Thank you.