Guilty Pleasures
  • Liam
    My favorite arrangement of that one (Holst tune) is by Alice Parker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bytOWLfm2aQ

And, in a similar vein, James McMullough's arrangement of "How Far Is It To Bethlehem?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E0jZWShOSE
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Ken_WhislerKen_Whisler
    I sometimes pull out Matt Maher's "Lord I Need You" for Communion. The older parishioners tolerate it, the younger ones sing along.

I sometimes play "Morning Has Broken" using Rick Wakeman's famous piano break on the Cat Stevens hit for offertory, and I have every intention of using it as an opening hymn when Ordinary time gets here.

Being a former bar guitarist that has always loved Jeff Beck, I once did a quasi arrangement of his version of the Curtis Mayfield classic "People Get Ready" for offertory.

All three of those has garnered the most compliments from fellow parishioners, thus puffing up my ego. Does that count as "guilty pleasures" on this thread?
  • Ken_WhislerKen_Whisler
    When I was going through Haas "Send Us Your Spirit" last week, I realized that the same chord voicings that Alex Lifeson used on "Xanadu" by Rush would work.....so I used them. Don't think anyone noticed.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Carmina Burana is awesome and no one can tell me otherwise.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Adam,

"None so deaf as will not hear" was one of my mother's favorite expressions.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, I can.

Sammy Davis Junior.

I loathe "O fortuna."
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I remembered one. Howard Hanson. Surprise surprise.

(Although I do find amusing the little ditty set to the melody of his "Romantic Symphony" - 'Everbody hates Howard Hanson'.)
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    And Kathy - are you by chance referencing that Lutheran Satire video?