Anyone else remember the first colloquiums (colloquia)?
  • rich_enough
    I thought fellow forumers would enjoy this discussion of "'Active participation' or 'actual participation?'" which is really a tribute to the great Msgr. Richard Schuler.

The author, Mark Langley, is the founder and academic dean of The Lyceum, a classical Catholic high school outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Its choir has been lauded by none other than our own Jeffrey Tucker on the Chant Cafe and recently sang for a daily mass on EWTN.

There's also a great reminiscence from one of the first colloquiums (colloquia?) back in the early 1990s when they were held at Christendom College, with the final mass at the crypt church of the National Shrine in Washington. Anyone else remember this far back?
  • dad29
    Yup. I was there. Was also at the second one.
  • WGS
    June 28-30, 1991 (Friday-Sunday) - fifty participants

It seems that the vernacular evening mass sung at Christendom on Saturday was Missa Brevis (Cong,S,A,T,B) by Ted Marier. The mass for the Thirteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception was all Latin chant.

A motet or two may have been sung at these two masses. However, all that remains in my folder is E'en so Lord Jesus, Quickly Come by Paul Manz and How Lovely is thy Dwelling Place by Eugene Englert.
  • rich_enough
    Thanks so much for posting those materials, WGS. I don't seem to recall singing the music you list. I have my music packet from this or another early colloquium somewhere, and if my memory serves, we sang (among other things) the "Kleine Messe in F" by Josef Doppelbauer, the neo-Gregorian "Salve Mater" in the harmonized (SATB) version by Oswald Jaeggi, and a golden oldie hymn (and a favorite of Fr. Skeris) "A Priestly Heart The Sacred Heart" (" . . . For sins of men the burden bearing. . . . ") I was still an undergrad at the time and it was something to meet those who had been struggling in the trenches for good music for so long - it's stayed with me.