What is the role of cantor?
  • MJO,

Does that mean that you're regularly attending the Extraordinary Form, or that you never sing at Mass?

Cheers,

Chris
  • Ha! A clever retort!

Actually, my home parish is our Lady of Walsingham of the Ordinariate, so I have no discouragements to participating in mind, body, and soul, and song. Also actually, I rarely have occasion to attend mass at parishes at which the liturgical praxis is lamentable (but I am aware of what 'goes on'). At times I play at St Basil's Chapel at Houston's UST, where the NO liturgy is quite decent and the music decent as well. I just finished playing there for the summer during the choir's summer recess.

I ran into an ordinariate priest at a bookseller's recently who asked what it was like playing there, and my response was that it was sort of like playing for a very reverent low-church mass. There are no 'abuses'. We sing the Belmont Mass (very simple, but nice) and real hymns (entrance, offertory, dismissal). During communion I usually sing solo a capella psalm-tone psalmody or Gregorian hymnody, sometimes Latin, sometimes English. The people are most hearty in their song, and very responsive to my varieties of organ playing. They always sing 'all the stanzas', including those of the hymn at the dismissal. The psalm, I myself chant from the ambo, giving the congregation a simple improvised chant-like responsory and singing the verses to my own ornamented psalm tones. Alleluya is likewise a capella and chant-like. Most of the Basilian fathers don't sing, though several of them do but don't always, which is strange and disappointing. (For those who keep track of EF happenings, there is an EF mass there every Friday morning.)

St Basil's is also home to St Basil's School of Gregorian Chant (semiologist), of which I am the choirmaster and lecturer in chant studies. We have special masses attendant on our chant courses there at intervals throughout the year. For these, which are NO in English, we always have a guest priest who sings every last word of the mass, and our auditioned schola (mixed) sing the full propers (usually Palmer-Burgess' or Fr Columba's). For the ordinary we usually sing one of Fr Columba's Englished Gregorian masses (very often no. XII, Pater cuncta). All chant at these masses is voices only - the organ is used only for opening and closing voluntaries. I would never think of accompanying chant. Nor have I ever noticed that people had trouble singing a capella if it is a given that they will - in fact, they usually will 'step up to the plate' and honourably do what is expected of them.

'Choir' at St Basil's is a space near the altar defined by a low 4.5 foot wall. The organ is a Schoenstein of about 25 ranks. The chapel has the best acoustics of any sacred space in Houston, and the architect was Phillip Johnson.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There really isn't anything intuitively obvious about the touchdown gesture, is there? I think most people encountering it for the first time figure out what to do by the organ registration and example of other singers, like I did. If one were cantoring a funeral attended by protestants one might have the greatest success by using the traffic cop "stop" gesture for the intonation and lowering the hand when it was their turn.
    I specifically request that my cantors do it.

PGA, what would happen if they didn't, I wonder? I sometimes use a single hand palm up and low enough to encourage singing from the torso instead of the throat, but now we have a critical mass of people who know the drill it doesn't make any difference at all if I omit it.
    I met a superb organist who had to resign after his pastor made him attend a reeducation camp: he got into too much trouble there for insisting that the congregation didn't need to be cued with two arms. No wonder people have strong feelings.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Well, I don't know what would happen, but some have not done it before and it seems to be six in one half dozen in another - but who knows if that's because it was an easy psalm with a clear intonation, or what.

But either way I don't feel that strongly about it; it's not a "thing" for me, an issue either way.

Most do it on their own, and when they are new I mention doing it to them. After that point, I never bring it up again and neither does anyone else, nor do I even pay much attention to whether they do it faithfully or not.

I just think we have bigger battles to fight one way or the other ...

• It’s a good thing people know to “touchdown” when they sing “Happy Birthday”, or no one would know when to come in!
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
    Yeah, but a Gelineau response after a two measure elaborate intro isn't "Happy Birthday."

And really, "traditional Catholics" making such a big, snarky thing out of this conventional and widely accepted practice just makes the whole "movement" look, well, rather silly.
  • I’ve never seen any place that expects a congregation to reply after a 2-bar intro. More frequently, the response is played once, the cantor intones, then the congregation repeats. There’s nothing elaborate about it; the responses are usually pretty straightforward musically, actually.

That said, I wasn’t really regarding the psalm so much as hymn-singing. There’s a better case to be made for the case of the psalm, of course, because by definition the responses are usually unfamiliar.

Protestants nurtured a healthy tradition of hymn-singing for centuries without amplification or arm-waving. Why can’t we just do that?
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Protestants nurtured....... Why can't we just do that?

1. Because all kinds of leadership people in an out of holy orders enjoy saying that Catholics can't do that; and large numbers of our people, poor souls, dutifully believe them. (This is what is known as institutionalised ignorance.)
    2. They seem convinced of this even though Catholics, being as intelligent as their human Protestant kin, really can do that.
    3. Most of our so-called 'cantors' would be out of a job.
    Now, we just couldn't have that! Orcouldn't we!?
  • PGA,

A practice can be widely accepted and still wrong. Take contraception, for example, or extraordinary ministers of holy communion or .... firing directors of music without cause..... or many other common practices.

By the way: if it's not a thing with you, why are you making such a fuss of defending the practice?

God bless,

Chris
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • BenBen
    By the way: if it's not a thing with you, why are you making such a fuss of defending the practice?

This.
    Thanked by 2Gavin ClergetKubisz
  • GavinGavin
    "makes the whole "movement" look, well, rather silly."

We aren't the ones showing our armpits to people in church.
  • bonniebede
    yew, armpits.
  • WendiWendi
    Thanks Gavin, that made me laugh.

Thanked by 1melofluent
  • The whole conversation is straining at gnats and swallowing camels. Are there issues of cantors being overbearing and being a detriment to the Mass? Sure. A subtle gesture isn't wrecking the liturgy or taking anybody out unless you're already looking for it.

I think the "touchdown stance" is hamfisted and inelegant, but we have bigger problems than a small visual cue. Spilling this much ink over it, virtual or otherwise, is petty.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    If the cantrix is showing armpits, perhaps she should dress more modestly, or wear a robe?
    I'm not a fan of the semaphore. I don't have a problem with signalling per se; I just think it can be done in a more discreet and elegant manner. But maybe the semaphore isn't "the thing with you", maybe "the thing with you" is "people getting so excited about something so trivial."
  • I don't think that discreet and unobtrusive decorum on the part of those who have leadership roles at holy mass is 'something so trivial'. One function of vesture is to subordinate personal expression to a liturgical demeanor. Purposeful posture and movement expresses the sacred 'otherness' of the act of which we are a part. Waving, uplifted arms, sometimes with a sort pirouette thrown in for good measure, are garish and absolutely inappropriate in liturgy. This is the opposite of triviality. Catholic liturgy knows no such thing as 'song leaders'. Cantors should know this. Their role is chanting psalmody, certain soloistic propers (if such are sung), and intoning any extended chants that the congregation might sing (such as parts of the ordinary). This is all. The people are not idiots. They do not need to be 'directed' (with or without a display of armpits). They know when to sing the responsory and the alleluya without a cue from a cantorial showman or show-woman. The leadership of the congregation is the role of the choir and the organ - not that of the cantor who gets a charge out of exceeding his or her proper role and calling attention to him or her self. Fondly and vainly thinking that 'the people' won't know to sing unless I do this or that is the height of vanity, which has no place in liturgy.
    Well, first of all, I'm not sure that I'm making a fuss of defending the practice - it's more that I'm making a fuss out of the heated condemnation of it and the snide, caricature jokes that I routinely hear which I believe demean everything we are trying to accomplish.

Over the summer, I was at some July 4th festivities where someone was singing "God Bless America." The soloist started off with the verse, "As the storm clouds gather, far across the sea ..." When he got to the chorus, "God bless America, land that I love ..." he raised his hands in the ubiquitous "cantor gesture" to invite the people to sing. The people rousingly joined him. Now I believe that they wouldn't have sung even that song that they all knew so well without him doing so. It made it clear that he WANTED their participation, and that this was not ONLY a performance.

Now, some might ask "Is it really not clear that the Liturgy is not a performance?" To that I say "You might be surprised." You might really be surprised at the level of understanding and liturgical sophistication of some of the people who sit in the pews each week. The people aren't idiots for sure. But they all have differing levels of liturgical savvy. Why else is it that I hear people, with some regularity, refer to the cantor as "performing the psalm?" Now in our place, there's no logical reason for one to say that - our psalms are usually chant based and our cantors are far from showboating up there. But as a culture, we aren't a singing culture - we go to watch performances. That might explain why some view it that way. And it might explain why the dreaded "gesture" can go a long way towards inviting people into the song.
  • CharlesW
    The cantor I most remember was the slightly pudgy one who wasn't wearing a bra. Those upraised arm motions took on a new dimension when she was cantor. Who knew a heavy lady could get into those positions? ;-)
  • SalieriSalieri
    ^^Thanks Charles - I haven't laughed like that in a long time!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • the snide, caricature jokes that I routinely hear which I believe demean everything we are trying to accomplish.

Perhaps the people who engage in what you describe as "snide" are trying to end the practice by describing what they see, and the impression it makes on them?

What, precisely, do you think the clear use of gestures is trying to accomplish? (Several things come to mind: "audience" participation; a more reverent liturgy; calisthenics; the implementation of the spirit of Vatican II... other things).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    What, precisely, do you think the clear use of gestures is trying to accomplish? (Several things come to mind: "audience" participation; a more reverent liturgy; calisthenics; the implementation of the spirit of Vatican II... other things).

Exactly, and the question of whether or not accomplishing your goal actually requires the gesture. Each cantor must evaluate his or her congregational situation individually and make that call him or herself. I would only admonish the gesture if it was unnecessary or if done on "autopilot." Also, if on "autopilot" I wouldn't necessarily can the gesture just for that, but emphasize that the use of gestures must be exercised carefully, and be fully thought out. This is the same advice I would give to professional conducting students, and was the same advice I was given as a professional conducting student. I equate the two because essentially the gesture is a conducting cue, to invite the congregation to sing. However, in conducting, we eliminate gestures that are not necessary, and those that get in the way: this should be done by cantors as well.
    Thanked by 1cmbearer
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe I need to add another forum guideline. Something like:
    # 15: Thou shalt not nag.

• bonniebede
    perhaps we could have a workshop on this topic at a colloquium someday. I nominate this lady as a guest speaker.
    gestures to get you singing
  • CharlesW
    Love it! The most obnoxious cantors I have seen locally think they are Dusty Springfield - if you ever saw her hand motions when performing it will make sense.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've had an epiphany. Depending upon how lethargic or dyspeptic the lectors and celebrant are, should I be functioning as the psalmist, I'm going to "lead" the canting in either "Joe Cocker" mode, or "Victor Borge" mode (complete with noises.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Well, at least the 'Victor Borge' mode would be entertaining... but then, that's not a cantor's business, is it? At least not at mass... come to think of it.... some of their habits and antics would be entertaining or highly amusing (as opposed to disgusting and irritating) anywhere but at mass.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Follow up question:

The GIRM states:

It is preferable for the Responsorial Psalm to be sung, at least as far as the people’s response is concerned. Hence the psalmist, or cantor of the Psalm, sings the Psalm verses at the ambo or another suitable place, while the whole congregation sits and listens, normally taking part by means of the response, except when the Psalm is sung straight through, that is, without a response.

and

If the Psalm cannot be sung, then it should be recited in a way that is particularly suited to fostering meditation on the Word of God.

So IF it the psalm is recited instead of sung, does it make more sense to recite it straight through as the other scripture readings (and the congregation listens), or recite it as if it were being sung with the people saying the response?

The latter feels odd to me, though it may just be me. I'd love to know what your practice is.

Sometimes I get the feeling that our parish does things simply because that is the way we (they) have always done them since the founding of the parish, without thinking about why we (they) do them.