What is the role of cantor?
  • cmbearer
    I am new to this forum and for the past few days have not been able to peel myself away from my computer screen. There is much insight to be gained from everyone's wealth of knowledge. And so I ask the question: What is the role of cantor? I come from growing up in the 80s and 90s, in contemporary type parishes. And currently work, for the past year in a parish that practices the same. Though, as I learn more myself, I am trying to teach and implement truly Sacred Music. It's a long road. That said, I think we all know the role of cantor in the typical Catholic Church: Try and get people to sing by "signaling a touchdown". For singing parishes, is a cantor necessary? What is his/her role in a church where either the choir or PIPs regularly sings the Propers and other worthy Sacred Music? I've read a lot about NPM on several other posts. NPM offers several different cantor "degrees" and certifications, along with countless training seminars. I think they use the term "to animate the singing". Is there such a training through CMAA? I am trying to figure out the next course of action for our cantor team. Thanks for any assistance.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    First welcome! and glad you are here! This is an excellent place to come to ask all sorts of questions, because it's likely that someone will have the answer and/or everyone will have an opinion. :) --(And someone else may have the same question.)

I'll start with my opinion. If you've got a choir and the congregation sings well, it's been my experience a cantor is not needed for every piece that the congregation sings. You will need one for solo verses, but they need not do everything up front, separated from the choir.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) and the US Bishops' document "Sing to the Lord" also makes a distinction between 'cantor' and 'psalmist.' A psalmist basically, is the cantor who sings the verses of the Responsorial Psalm. The distinction is that there needs to be a real ability in a psalmist to sing the texts clearly and not merely lead the people. The psalmist, in this case, should sing from the ambo, the place where the readings are proclaimed.

For some background, the GIRM describes the cantor's role in paragraph 104:

104. I t is fitting that there be a cantor or a choir director to direct and support the people’s singing. Indeed, when there is no choir, it is up to the cantor to direct the different chants, with the people taking the part proper to them.

And this references paragraph 21 of the 1967 Vatican document Musicam Sacram:

21. Provision should be made for at least one or two properly trained singers, especially where there is no possibility of setting up even a small choir. The singer will present some simpler musical settings, with the people taking part, and can lead and support the faithful as far as is needed. The presence of such a singer is desirable even in churches which have a choir, for those celebrations in which the choir cannot take part but which may fittingly be performed with some solemnity and therefore with singing.

If we look back further into the Mass as celebrated before Vatican II, cantors were members of the choir responsible for starting the first phrase of each chant, and singing solo verses. Which takes you back to the opinion I started with!

Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    I don't have a cantor at the choir mass, since the choir sings the psalm and everything else. At my non-choir masses, the cantor sings the psalm and serves to bring the congregation in on antiphons and hymns. I could do it with the organ, but I think having the voice there helps greatly.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • cmbearer,

First, welcome.

SkirpR and I don't seem to agree on much, but we do agree on almost all he wrote.

Remember that a cantor's job is to sing a particular part, assigned to him by the choir director, in accord with his skill and the requirements of the liturgy.

SkirpR is quite right that what is now called a cantor is, in reality, two distinct positions blended (infelicitously, in my opinion) into one. In no case is the "signalling the touchdown" or "landing the C-130" approach appropriate, for two reasons: 1) the cues can be aural, and should be; 2) the congregation is participating at Mass, not a sing-along.

In the proper understanding of a cantor, yes, he is necessary even in singing congregations. In non-singing congregations, the cantor-as-cheerleader must be avoided, in my opinion, because he makes himself the center of attention, which thereby violates the rite itself (flying-fish puppets notwithstanding).

Helpful anecdote: many years ago, I served as a section leader in a choir. The parish sang well. The building helped the singing. I was never assigned "big" roles, but when it came to singing the Litany of the Saints, I was asked to sing it. This is the role of a cantor, not a "song leader". On the other hand, a singer who fancies himself a soloist (and I've known some) should be kept from the cantor's role because self-agrandisement is utterly incompatible with the nature of the liturgy.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    SkirpR and I don't seem to agree on much, but we do agree on almost all he wrote.

@cgz, I bet we agree on a lot more than we think.... And, regarding our previous discussions, take a look at Musicam Sacram, para. 16. :) I'd be happy to continue discussing it in private messages.
  • The cantor / congregation dynamic realizes a sort of dialectic reasoning and meditation. A prayerful energy of proclaiming and musing. Questions and answers. contrasting public and intimate thoughts, argument and resolution. Each verse approaches theme of the antiphon from different perspectives. The structure of the psalms tones, both old and new, along with their modal tone of voice support the rhetorical role of the cantor.
  • WendiWendi
    As others have said, welcome.

Another helpful progression would be to move your cantor. Our parish has the great good fortune of having a choir loft. It is located at the back of the church. Our music director very wisely moved the cantor up to the loft several years ago.

The acoustics of our church are fairly decent (carpeting notwithstanding) and the cantor is easily heard and understood. At the choir Mass we don't use the microphone and the cantor is still understood. (I know this because I've asked a couple of our hearing impaired parishioners. If they can understand the cantor, so can everyone else.)

This does require two things. Choosing cantors with humility, and proper diction skills.

When the music director made this move, not only did none of the cantors quit, more people started asking if they could learn to cantor. Not everyone wants to be doing the "touchdown Jesus" up in the front.

This has been our experience...as you'll see me write quite often YMMV. (your mileage may vary)

One caveat...the psalm is also sung from the choir loft. This would probably not work in a larger church, but it does work in our smallish one.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Welcome, cmbearer! While we're on the topic of cantors, I'll take the opportunity to mention our cantrix, Valeria, who intones all the propers at our EF Missa Cantata. She also intones the parts of the Ordinary.

She has an otherworldy, pure, clear soprano voice and is the soul of cooperation, charity, modesty and piety.

Our schola/choir/congregation would be lost without her.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I want to scream at you people with the caricatured "touchdown" comments.

There is nothing wrong with a gesture to let people know to sing. Non musicians don't pick up on musical cues as well as we do.

NOT doing it is not more orthodox, proper, or anything else.
    Thanked by 2MarkThompson Spriggo
  • WendiWendi
    Scream away. This isn't a matter of orthodoxy. It simply looks ridiculous. As for the touchdown being a caricature, I've personally seen it far too many times, in far too many churches, to consider it a caricature. Nor would I use caricatures...the reality of liturgical silliness is sometimes sad enough without exaggeration. In addition, there is a vast great difference between a slight indication of the hand, and the big swooping gesture.

Moving on...I disagree with your opinion that non-musicians can't pick up on musical cues.

I live in a small rural town. Our congregation has a number of non-musical members of varying ages.

As I stated before, our cantor sings the psalm from the choir loft and has been doing so for several years now. The congregation cannot see the cantor, and yet...this same congregation has not had any difficulty discerning when to sing. Even though the psalm is sometimes sung without accompaniment.

As usual...YMMV.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    With regard to a gesture to invite people to sing, all things in moderation. I would never use both hands unless it was the only way some of the congregation could see me (think St. Patrick NYC, or the National Basilica, etc.). I think for the average parish, a single outstretched arm would suffice, if necessary.
    The cantor does not belong in the loft, Wendi, but in the front. Say the black, do the red ... Remember that? Even when you disagree with it personally.

I see nothing silly about outstretched arms. I don't think it looks silly, is silly, or is against norms. Having the cantor in the loft is, however against norms. And it's also silly, making the psalmist sound like the voice of Oz.

Finally, mass in a "small rural town" is different than in a large city church with parishioners, visitors, and people from all over who come, as is my situation.
    Thanked by 1Liam
    I forgot to add ... I specifically request that my cantors do it.
  • BenBen
    I've found that when singing acapella, if you sing it clearly, with appropriate phrasing, the congregation does not have trouble singing. I've had this experience (me singing the psalm acapella, without gestures, usually from loft/behind them) with at least three distinct congregations of varying musical ability, and all of them reacted very similarly: they did just fine.

I've found that those who have trouble are the ones who want to have trouble.

And if it's accompanied, it only gets easier from there.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Felipe Gasper
    The problem arises, Ben, with a very live acoustic compounded by organ and cantor separated. We need to play, then for clarity release the keys for a full count of one, then a downbeat. This is done for clarity and musicality ... But a timid singer can become confused.
  • BenBen
    One problem with the cantor not being near the organist.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Well, Ben, the norms are the norms. Obviously each situation is different, and what may look overdone or silly in one church will be completely appropriate in another. But, what do the documents say? Nothing about leading congregational song, but for the Psalm the GIRM is pretty explicit. (My emphasis added.)

From GIRM 61:

It is preferable for the Responsorial Psalm to be sung, at least as far as the people’s response is concerned. Hence the psalmist, or cantor of the Psalm, sings the Psalm verses at the ambo or another suitable place, while the whole congregation sits and listens, normally taking part by means of the response....

Of course the loft may be a suitable place, but which option is listed first (cf. propers vs. another suitable chant)...?
  • chonakchonak
    Isn't this a deja-vu thread? We've waltzed around this issue before.

If people don't know when to say an antiphon in the Responsorial Psalm after it's been in use for 40 years, maybe that tells us that the whole idea is not well-structured, and we ought to try some options other than the conventional one. I'm tired of seeing the lector at my local church raise his hand to signal the people, as if he were politely answering a question in class.
  • ryandryand
    Any resources on the role of cantor in Jewish services? And it's development to our modern norms?
  • CharlesW
    I put my cantors in the choir loft some years ago. The organ is half a city block from the front and it is difficult to keep instrument and cantor together in a live acoustic. Besides, it prevents the tendency to perform on the part of the cantors. Even the pastor said they were distracting when in the front. The choir loft is "another suitable place" in my building, so we are within the GIRM requirements. The congregation has no problems with our setup.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • WendiWendi
    PGA, I'm sorry that you take my observations as a personal attack on your decisions.
  • cmbearer
    Even in our daily masses, when the psalm is recited, the lector offers a visual signal for the PiPs to respond, although they seem to do it with much less confidence than our cantor/psalmists on Sunday, like its a very uncomfortable gesture. I agree that everyone should already know when to sing the antiphon for the psalm. So if any gesture is needed, it should be small. Perhaps the bigger the church, the bigger the gesture. But let's separate the role of psalmist from cantor. In my goal to bring better Sacred Music to my parish, is there a place for the cantor aside from psalmist? Lately, I have been trying to have the cantors not sing from the microphone as much. They were trained before I came, to be there for everything that was sung (and to gesture) including the response "and with your spirit", if Fr. chanted "The Lord be with you". I think this is too much. It is my understanding that the cantor or priest or deacon intones many of chants that we sing, but then sings as a part of the worshiping faithful (i.e. not facing them from behind a mic). For hymns, is a song leader necessary? Wouldn't the preceding cadence and the "breath" from the organ suffice to bring people in? I think even non-musical people can hear a final cadence and anticipate the next entrance, when done properly. Thank you all for the advice, and the welcoming atmosphere. I look forward to the spirited discussions!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    They were trained before I came, to be there for everything that was sung (and to gesture) including the response "and with your spirit", if Fr. chanted "The Lord be with you". I think this is too much.

I do too, although I know at least one pastor who insists on it.

It is my understanding that the cantor or priest or deacon intones many of chants that we sing, but then sings as a part of the worshiping faithful (i.e. not facing them from behind a mic). For hymns, is a song leader necessary? Wouldn't the preceding cadence and the "breath" from the organ suffice to bring people in? I think even non-musical people can hear a final cadence and anticipate the next entrance, when done properly.

If you can do this, and your congregation still sings well, then great! If they don't sing well anymore, maybe they never sang so well to begin with and the cantor was just covering it up. I don't know your cantors, but I have encountered those cantors from whom I'd be prepared for resistance because they're not the "star" anymore.

If you'd like to lessen the "presence" of the cantor in hymns, etc., I'd start, as you are by having them back away from the mic some when they're not singing solo. Once they're hardly heard over the mic anymore, after a month or so, I'd tell them not to even approach it, probably for things like the Sanctus, etc. that everyone always sings. If all is still going well, I'd just try leaving them with the organ.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I think it important to bring up the fact that the TYPES of hymns chosen probably reflect the relative need of a cantor up front with gestures.
    I think many who are in favor of a cantor that is not visible are more well rooted in true traditional hymnody than those that are in favor of a visible cantor. I say this not to validate or condemn either approach, but that I have observed this to be the truth. (Correct me if you have observed differently.)

It is MUCH easier to solidly lead a traditional hymn (Holy God We Praise Thy Name, for instance) from the organ with the congregation singing confidently without visible, amplified cantor. Try the same techniques with "On Eagle's Wings," and you might as well play a solo organ piece in its place if the cantor is not up front because it is much more difficult to employ "hymn playing" techniques on "songs," to give the congregation a natural musical inclination to sing without a visual cue. That's not to say a skilled organist COULDN'T do so, just that it is more difficult.

At my parish, we are not yet at the point where I can program exclusively traditional hymns or chants and still need to incorporate some of the sing-songy emotional stuff and so our cantor is up front. With arms. And announcements. ...

For the record, though, I do think the fact that the GIRM and STTL reference the Psalmist and Cantor as two separate ministries indicates a clear preference that the psalm be proclaimed from where the rest of the word of God is proclaimed. By indicating a Psalmist, the documents are not binding the CANTOR to any one place in particular. They can, in fact, be two different people.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PGA,

Put the cantor up front, at the ambo, then.

Still, this person is NOT directing or stage managing the congregation, but instead performing a liturgical function: singing the psalm.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The issue of gesturing and placement would be more clear if Cantors who make announcements wore the proper, traditional vestments for that office.

• BenBen
    At least for me, tradition, as well as closeness to the console, makes the loft a suitable place. Particularly when I'm cantoring along with an organist, it's MUCH easier to be there.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • @chonak
    If people don't know when to say an antiphon in the Responsorial Psalm after it's been in use for 40 years, maybe that tells us that the whole idea is not well-structured,

I can't count how many times I've seen confusion arise where the text of the response recurs within one of the verses.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I can't count how many times I've seen confusion arise where the text of the response recurs within one of the verses.

I'm all in favor of judicious use of cantors, but really, Mark? In a musical setting, not just being recited?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How many chants can a cantor chant if a cantor can't chant chant?
  • Andrew_Malton
    If there is no choir, only a cantor, then the GIRM proposes that the cantor's role is to encourage congregational singing, presumably by singing the congregational parts confidently and perhaps visibly (at the lectern, or, sigh, with a discreet microphone).

But if there is no congregational song at some point (eg at the Offertory or at the Communion) is it better for the cantor to sing the proper, solo, or better for the "when there is no singing " rubric to be followed (eg priest says the Offertory dialogue out loud, priest says the Communion antiphon from the Missal)?

Me, I don't like solo singing, neither doing it nor hearing it, except when the liturgy naturally calls for it (eg at the Gradual, readings, dialogues). What about you all?
  • SalieriSalieri
    I'm not particularly fond of solo singing; but to me 'solo singing' means things like the Schubert (or worse, Rosewig) "Ave Maria" or the like. Having a single cantor chant the communion (from the Gradual, SEP, etc.) is not, to my mind, 'solo singing'; however, singing an 'aria' setting the proper text (say, by Vivaldi) would be.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    I am glad to have my cantors who can also sing solos. The choir is at one mass per Sunday, only. At the others, I sometimes have time I need to fill and don't always want to play something on the organ. Also, giving the cantors a chance to sing keeps them happier and more cooperative.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Andrew_Malton
    I am a little doubtful about how well it fits with the ritual though. The more I think about it the more it seems as though the congregation should be encouraged to repeat the antiphon even if the verses are sung by a single voice. In this way it is more properly antiphonal singing, rather than solo recitation.

(I need to decide by next week, first time in a new context: Summer, no choir, Sunday Mass with hymns, but nothing programmed for Communion.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    It depends on the liturgical season, the mass intention, and what materials I have available for a given Sunday. Options are good!
  • Protasius
    I don't see any problems in singing the propers alone. In fact it is the only possibility in my area to have Gregorian chant sung at all in my environment.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't see any problems in singing the propers alone. In fact it is the only possibility in my area to have Gregorian chant sung at all in my environment.

It took me a couple reads to figure what at all you COULD have a problem with here, until I realized you meant "sing the propers by myself," not "sing the propers and nothing else."
  • Ignoto
    Me, I don't like solo singing, neither doing it nor hearing it, except when the liturgy naturally calls for it (eg at the Gradual, readings, dialogues). What about you all?

I agree. Especially regarding GIRM 48, 74, 87, and 88, the rubrics explicitly exclude singing by a cantor alone (unlike GIRM 61 and 62 in which the rubrics do allow for singing by a cantor alone).

I believe that occasional solo art song singing may be permissible for pastoral reasons, such as for funerals (although even then I still believe it is less-than-ideal and should be a rarity). When the rubrics specify that singing should take place "by the choir alone or by the choir or a cantor with the people" as stated in GIRM 87, then when a cantor is singing, it should be something that is at least possible for the people to join their voices in singing, such as the antiphon or some other suitable liturgical chant.

1. Insofar as liturgical abuses are actions or situations which do not follow the rubrics, solo singing is a liturgical abuse when it is not an explicitly stated option for that moment at Mass.

2. I believe it is even more of a liturgical abuse at a choir Mass when the choir is present and must remain seated and silent while the soloist is singing. (I am referring to a solo-only piece, not a solo part within a choir piece.)

3. SkirpR had an earlier posting about the location of the cantor, and quoted this part of GIRM 61: "sings the Psalm verses at the ambo or another suitable place." At least with the location issue, "another suitable place" is a stated option. Solo art song singing during/after Communion or at Offertory is not a stated option.

4. Likewise, GIRM 88 is clear that once the last person has received Communion, if the silence option is not taken, the only option for singing is "by the whole congregation," not the choir or a soloist.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If a congregation is accustomed to hear Gregorian propers sung by a schola, and for whatever reason only one person is available for a given Mass where there would usually be at least several in the choir, I believe there is nothing wrong with that one person singing the propers "solo," provided their ability is suited to the task.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'll add to this, if for whatever reason the same schola is present but may not have been able to learn one of the propers, e.g. the Offertory, capably, but there is one person who could do a suitable job, that person should sing it solo rather than omit it.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Amazing how much the real world does not conform to GIRM. For example, an ill cantor caused a complete reshuffling this morning to cover for him. Stuff happens!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I have been cantor now for about 7 years and a choir member for more than 30. I grew up in a very devotional parish St. Mary. I learned to sing Latin hymns and vernacular hymns to the Saints, Blessed Sacrament, Sacred Heart and Blessed Mother, not to mention Latin Masses, like Our Lady of Loretto, Mass in G and many others. St. Basil, St. Gregory, Sisters of Notre Dame, etc. Four years ago, my parish closed as part of a diocesan reconfiguration. I now attend a more contemporary church, St. Paul where I cantor, sing in the choir, the schola and funeral choir. Shortly after I arrived a new music director was appointed and in February of this year we got a new pastor. Since the appointment of our new music director we have been introducing Latin in the Mass parts, very slowly at first. During Advent and Lent we sing the mass parts in Latin. This past month we practiced with the congregation before mass, the Gloria from the Mass of the Angels.

My role as a cantor in this case, was to chant the Gloria, phrase by phrase and have the congregation repeat each phrase after me. Once we got through that we went straight through the Gloria just as we would for Mass. We did this for several weeks until finally, some members of the congregation asked the pastor "when are we going to start using the Gloria and stop practicing it?" This past Sunday we started using the Gloria in the Mass.

In my diocese we sing the Responsorial Psalm from the ambo. Some of the other cantors can set the music on the ambo and read directly from it, and give the two-arms up to bring the congregation in. I can't do this simply because with my bifocals I can't read that far away, so I hold the music in one hand and bring them in with the other. I try to make it a point to know the psalm well enough that I can sing and make eye contact with members of the congregation.

As a cantor, it's very important to know the psalm or hymn, pronounce the words and stand the appropriate distance from the mic. It's also important to have a positive attitude, a good personality, willingness to learn new songs, and patience.

One of my other roles is to help introduce new songs and announce the hymn numbers. We have both organ and piano and a cantor practice once a month. Our music director is willing to make a CD of the Psalm Responses and any new songs we cantors aren't familiar with. We have 5 cantors, ranging from youth cantors to more mature like myself. The CD's have been a godsend for me being a more traditional/devotional singer working my way into a contemporary setting. I sure do miss the the devotional hymns. I also follow a blog, The Devotional Hymns Project - http://www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com/

That's the role of the cantor in my parish.

• IanWIanW
    To sing the incipit?
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • IanWIanW
    ... and maybe the verse; and maybe (NO) the statement of the psalm response and the alleluia.
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • IMO faith formation (at home and in class) should include singing. If we did this, and really cultivated the idea among PIPs that going to Mass includes singing as norm, I think we would see just how little need there is for “songleaders”.

I mean, how silly is it to act as though intelligent, churched adults need a visual cue to sing “Praise to the Lord”?
  • On the Psalm in particular: the point was made in another thread recently that the cultivation of solo singing for the Psalm and Alleluia seems to do more harm than good.

(cutting/pasting from the other topic … )

It does indeed task the DoM with coaching and training individuals as solo singers … which requires either sacrificing choral rehearsal time or meeting independently, for which there is seldom time.

A few parishes ago, I had the cantors prepare the psalm and alleluia on their own. That usually worked well enough, but when it didn’t it was problematic finding time to coach people. The number of cantors there, even in a parish of >4,000 households, was fairly small—the end result of which being that I either had to accept the occasoinal “iffy” solo singing (all amplified, of course) and get complaints from the pastor, or to sing more Masses myself. (There were staff accompanists; I generally only conducted or sang.)

I do quite a bit of solo singing myself at the Mass now, but only as an expedience until I can find the right “balance” to have the choir singing all of the Propers in full. (Richard Rice’s “Simple Latin Propers” are a huge aid toward this end!)

I feel this is a topic that merits more discussion: what are the best alternatives to having a solo cantor for the chants between the readings? What are the contexts in which use of such is indicated? All things being equal, would the liturgy be better off if, somehow, the rubrical emphasis on the Lectionary texts at the expense of those from the Graduale were reversed?
  • mediantmediant
    Consistency of liturgy and consistency of music go a long way in helping people to sing, in fact, much more than cues from a cantor. But I wholeheartedly agree that the cantor should sing the Psalm from the Ambo. It belongs to the Liturgy of the Word, and the reasons for having it sung at the Ambo are theological, not aesthetic or musical. Having a cantor with visible cues for other parts may or may not be necessary according to the culture of your parish.

At my parish, the cantor is absolutely essential to preserve unity in the singing. The cantor also helps establish consistency for chant ordinaries, keeping things musical and not robotic, making sure people don't rush or go to slow, etc. Not to mention, a really good cantor can contribute understanding to the words in the same way a good lector or reader can actually help listeners to understand a text better.

The GIRM is really not rocket science; use a cantor for masses when your choir is unavailable, sing the psalm from the ambo because it's part of the Liturgy of the Word, and do visual queues as appropriate according to the culture of your parish.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    there is a vast great difference between a slight indication of the hand, and the big swooping gesture.

This, and the fact that if your cantor is particularly perturbed about some issue, the gesture can telegraph that to the congregation and they'll be able to tell they're upset about something. Not a common occurrence, I know, but I've seen it happen (I told one of my cantors she couldn't transpose the offertory hymn because the choir parts would go too low and she got upset about it when the accompanist backed me up and refused to do it anyway).

As for me, I don't normally use gestures unless they have a problem knowing when to come in. I will always give the congregation the benefit of the doubt and allow them to come in on their own. If they prove that they can't do it by themselves, I will then add a small gesture to indicate it, but if and ONLY IF they show me that they require it.

Something also must be said about avoiding the "autopilot" syndrome. I believe that many cantors develop habits (like we all do), and go on "autopilot," meaning they do things without thinking about why or if the desired effect is being achieved (or even the effectiveness of the practice: if the congregation comes in BECAUSE of the cantor's gesture, or because they know when to come in ALREADY, and don't need it). If the cantor is giving a gesture that is unnecessary, it should probably be eliminated until it becomes necessary again. Reflection on one's practices makes one a better practitioner. Flexibility is important, too: if the cantor can't/doesn't pay attention to what is going on with the congregation, they probably shouldn't be cantoring.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I'm not in favor of gestures that turn the cantor into an entertainer. I usually lift my right-hand long enough to let the congregation know it's time to sing and then I take it down. I also don't bring the congregation in on hymns with hand gestures unless we are doing a chant/response style antiphon/hymn at communion (i.e. the congregation only sings the response)

Something else that a cantor has to be aware of is not to say the prayers like the Our Father, Apostle Creed and common mass responses to close to mic. Every so often I catch myself on "autopilot" and reply in the old translation. I don't know if this is a common problem for cantors or it's just me.
  • There is absolutely in a church of any size no reason why the cantor must cant from the front of the church.

There is no reason to ever "cue" singers. If they are not following the words they are not going to sing no matter what.

If an organist or a cantor are not capable of indicating by playing or singing when it is time for the people to sing, they should not be playing or singing.

The traditional role of the cantor was to intone chants, setting both the pitch and the speed of the chant.

May we return to this now, please.
  • Two ways to guarantee that I will not sing:
    1. A cantor who thinks he/she is supposed to be a 'song leader' and waves arms and 'directs' the congregation.
    2. A cantor who sings into the microphone, thinking that people won't sing unless the only thing that can heard within a five-mile radius is him or her. (Such 'cantors' would never know whether the people were singing or not because they could not be heard even if they were!)
    3. What I am asked to sing is rubish.