Forum color scheme
  • francis
    yes, better for differentiating.
  • chonakchonak
    There are currently 4 forum users, says Google Analytics.
  • francis
    i am surprised. thought it would be much more than that.
  • francis
    Can CMAA books be a really dark green instead of yellow? and make the type really light?
  • francis
    ah... just saw that it is a graphic. would have to change it in graphic app.
  • chonakchonak
    We get about 1000 people a day visiting the site.

Yes, I made up those banner ads some months ago.
  • francis
    not too shabby! what is percentage of squatters to users?
  • chonakchonak
    About 55% are repeat users; 45% are first-timers, mostly arriving via Google. About half of all users bounce (view one page and leave); the average visit looks at 4 pages. Also, those 1000 visitors make about 1500 visits.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, before I switch the color scheme back, let me post what this one looks like, so that daytime readers can comment on whether they prefer it to the yellow/orange scheme in use heretofore.
    1137 x 773 - 239K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    OK, we're back in Kansas now. Thanks to all for the comments.
  • CharlesW
    Thank you, Lord, for letting me sleep through all this. LOL.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Just one color. White background, white text, white buttons and boxes.

All of these colors are confusing people.

Like intervals.

And rhythms.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Is outrage!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is outrage!

Most things is.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The background is rather good. The lighter colors for the topics don't seem to have quite the right (matching) hue of the background (maybe a little too much blue in the mix). Also, an ever so slightly greater contrast between a user's color and that for the rest might actually be better on the eyes (which strain when two differentiated colors are too close).
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As a very old, nearly blind curmudgeon...I'd like to thank RC for just not having the site use a black background with white or yellow text (hint to other trad blogs!)
    CDub, Adam.....consider the lillies in the field, the sparrows making neumes on telephone wires, the rhemora keeping the shark's skin parasite free, the....the....
    Oh nevermind. (humming: Everything is beau-ti-ih-ful...)
    Where are my glasses?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What's with the font of the titles of threads on the board? It doesn't match anything else.
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, it's sort of teal, isn't it? The current theme specifies 59 colors in its stylesheet, plus several shades of gray. It seems a little much.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I almost always read this Forum on my Kindle, in mobile view. So I've seen no change at all. Black, blue, white - very clean.

I'm in the midst of designing the new website for my Rotary club. This discussion is why I WON'T tell them that there's different themes. When it comes to artistic taste, ten people will give you 20 opinions. :-)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • Jani
    I like the 2:02 am colors. But the yellowish is okay too.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm disturbed by the font type of the titles of threads on the main forum page matching none of the other fonts used.
  • francis
    I am tired of reading these posts. Can we just have the forum read itself to us as audio files and we can speak back our response?
  • chonakchonak
    @matthewj: it's bold of you to share those feelings.
    @francis: I don't know if anyone has made use of screen-reading software with the forum.
  • francis
    Although I am kind of kidding, I absolutely love text to speech when I have good voices to do the reading. Cepstral has some great ones.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I like the current color scheme (8/1/2013, 4:51 pm EST) and faintchant background.
  • chonakchonak
    I may just put in the green background and let the rest stand. I have other stuff to do.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    orange.
    with yellow polka dots.
    and animated fish kite puppets.

do it.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    ooo! ooo! i like the fish kite puppets too! I will create the flash file!
  • chonakchonak
    Can't you just put that on your own web site, in the way people used to put animated fishtank backgrounds on their web pages?
  • chonakchonak
    For what it's worth, here is the default color scheme that comes with the forum software. I think it's better than all this beige stuff.
    1385 x 868 - 230K
  • How about an understated but warm palette of: Ocean floor, Fortune cookie, Sharky grey and Proletariat. "It's a beautiful thing."
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    For what it's worth, here is the default color scheme that comes with the forum software. I think it's better than all this beige stuff.
    Yes, I think so, too. If the blue hues are too cool, the subtle greens (especially of the background) of your previous screenshot really do seem to add a measure of warmth that all the beige misses.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mo betta bleu
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Wood always brings the funny.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That comic sums up why I have not offered any opinions on the look of this site.
  • ronkrisman
    Love the green!
  • chonakchonak
    Happy to have banished the beige.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    whoa- is this the "Under the Sea" theme?

(am I really the ONLY one who liked the beige?)

oh, sorry- I wasn't going to offer any opinions....
  • Andrew_Malton
    Quasi convivium vices
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't care if this is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" institutional green, I'm not McMurphy and I'm feeling very serene and subdued, which should make many happy.
    Now if we could get 101 Strings as site soundtrack....
    I hear Nurse Ratchett calling me.
    "Yes, Kathy, I love taking my meds."
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    I like the green. It's nice and "ordinary".
  • chonakchonak
    I had to do something to it, since I'd worked on the other three CMAA sites this summer, and this one still looked pretty unappealing.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • The green is not so bad.
    But the baby blue is.
    It's very bad.
  • BenBen
    I'd love a darker, deeper green. The blue, not so much.
  • Not a fan. I was going to post too that this minty green is the color of hospitals built in the 1960s, but I see melo beat me to that insight. It also doesn't work too well with the ecru of the comment background or the light blue of the new comment box. But really, I can live with whatever -- he who does the work is more than entitled to his color preference, I think.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Most of the colors are taken from this palette, whose inventor called it "Ruined Culture". Others are based on it.

I chose the palette because it included the green from the background image, which became green based on a suggestion from Ben, so he deserves some credit for it.

A few things don't match yet: some blue buttons and the logo up-top, but I have some other things to do.
    240 x 45 - 2K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    But really, I can live with whatever -- he who does the work is more than entitled to his color preference, I think.

Yep.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • marajoymarajoy
    meh.
    I hate change.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    what about something a little more... white?