Simple but Meaningful Choir Member Gift Suggestions
  • francis
    I want to give individual gifts to my choir members. What would you suggest between 5 and 10 dollars a piece? All ideas welcome!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I usually give choir gifts at Christmas so sometimes there's the holiday theme, but I will typically give either a CD of good choral music (to expand their palate) though that is more like $15-$20. Or a book--book of prayers, music, spiritual reflection etc.

For even less money, I've done, bookmarks (which can contain a nice quote) and the most practical gift was a pencil to put in their music folder!
  • jpal
    I'm usually not very good about gifts -- my wife puts together little packages for everyone at Christmas and Easter and gives me credit for them -- but once I made a cord rosary for each chorister and that was genuinely well received. Also someone once taught me not to underestimate the power of thank-you notes/cards/letters written specifically to each person. The time and care put into that multiplies the actual money spent.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Two Buck Chuck.
    (Actually, I understand it's now $2.50 per.)
    No Catholic in good standing, even if in 12 Step, can refuse it (they'll pass it on to undefiled comrades) as it is scripturally endorsed to bring us good cheer!
    And there goes me, assuaging the likes of Mahrt and others with premium reserve Mondavi and boutique Napa cabernets. No more, no mas.
  • I love giving a short book by Dom Jaques Hourlier called, "Reflections on the Spirituality of Gregorian Chant".
    You can find it at Paraclete Press for $10. I really like ordering through them, though you might find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.paracletepress.com/reflections-on-the-spirituality-of-gregorian-chant.html
  • francis
    oooo.... rosary idea...

you all might not know about this, but:

http://www.finerosary.com
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • Carl DCarl D
    When I was directing, I generally gave a handwritten card at Christmas and before the summer break. Delivered individually, not handed out like poker chips to the group. And I loved having an end-of-year party over at our house.

Monetary value is overrated. Go for heartfelt every time.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My favorite red wine is a shiraz I can get for $3.50 at Aldi.
  • francis
    I give each choir member a dozen pencils as a new years gift, and I tell them they have 12 months to use them up because 12 more are coming in 12 more months.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood jpal
  • WGS
    I'm looking right now in front of me on the wall at an 11" X 14" framed certificate which I either gave or received:

ALMIGHTY GOD,
    who hast given men the privilege of singing thy praises on earth, inspiring holy Augustine to say that he who sings prays twice, grant, we beseech thee, that

John J. Jones

may so sing and pray as to merit the reward of singing thy praises for ever
    in the company of the blessed Virgin Mary and the choirs of angels, through Christ our Lord.

What I have is marked "COPYRIGHT 1962 WORLD LIBRARY OF SACRED MUSIC". I have no idea if that certificate is still available from WLSM. I do recall having the individual names inscribed by a nun in a Visitation convent. In these modern times, I'm sure the whole thing could be done on a computer. The choice of fonts and the layout would be left up to someone with a bit of artistic sensibility.

Of course, the certificate most likely would be appropriate one time for each choir singer. Also, be sure to present the certificate already nicely framed and ready for hanging. Otherwise, it would most likely get as far as a drawer.
  • WGS, I like the idea. Nice visual reminder, statement of purpose, and prayer.

One question- iirc, the actual quote is "he who sings well prays twice".