MEMBER ORGAN RECITALS -
  • Do any of you have organ recitals coming up for the summer or the autumn? If so, it would surely be of interest if we shared our programs. It would also tip off those who may be within driving distance and who would come. In listing your program it would be nice to know, too, the church and city, the organ builder and any specifics one might wish to share.

I will begin by attaching a recital which I will be giving on Christ the King this autumn, at St Basil's Chapel, UST. Schoenstein organ (no comment!) of late nineties vintage.

Your comments of the program are welcome, and I should like to see what literature others are doing.
    I had originally included Daniel Pinkham's Five Voluntaries for Organ Manuals, but have decided that they aren't right for this program. They are really nice pieces, though, and I highly commend them to those who aren't afraid of playing real modern music! I have chosen to outline the life of Christ in this Christ the King program; it was, I thought, fitting and perhaps a little unusual. Feel free to comment.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    A good idea for a thread. I myself haven't got any organ recitals planned - it's now very, very hard in this part of the world to get a church's permission to give an organ recital unless one has a full-time cathedral post or the equivalent thereof - but for what it's worth, this was the last recital I gave. An Anglo-Franco-German program:

http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/Event/306673,organ-recital-in-melbourne-by-r-j-stove.aspx
  • GavinGavin
    St. Theresa Catholic Church in Sugar Land, TX has a "First Friday" series that many churches would do well to emulate. 7:30 is an organ recital, followed by adoration and benediction, and then a late-night Mass. Mass is in English, ad orientem, with completely chanted propers, closing with the proper Marian antiphon.

I will be playing for it on May 3rd. My program will include works by Buxtehude, Couperin, Liszt, and others.
  • Congratulations, Gavin! I shall try to be there, if I can find it. Would you care to send me instructions from Buffalo @ 59?. I know that I shall like your B and C, but for the works of L I have but a grudging tolerance: perhaps your presentation will alter my appreciation?
  • GavinGavin
    705 St.Theresa Blvd Sugar Land, TX 77498

From 59 south, take the US90 exit and turn right onto 90, going West. Turn right on Main St/Oyster Creek. The church will be on your right.

Here is the full program:

Magnificat Primi Toni, BuxWV 203 - Dietrich Buxtehude (1637-1707)

Messe pour les Couvents - François Couperin (1668-1733)
    Elevation - Tierce en Taille
    Offertoire sur les grands jeux

Ave Maria von Arcadelt - Franz Liszt (1811-1886)

Offertory on "O filii", op. 49, no. 2 - Alexandre Guilmant (1837-1911)

Variationen über "Ave, maris stella" (2007) - Thorsten Maus (b. 1972)
    I. Sehr ruhig und frei
    II. Nicht zu bewegt
    III. Quasi ad libitum
    IV. Introduktion und Tokkata. Bewegt

Final fr. Symphonie No. 1, op. 14 - Louis Vierne (1870-1937)
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • CharlesW
    Wish I were 1,000 miles closer!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • Pity that you don't live 1,000 miles closer!
    Gavin gave us a beautiful program beautifully played.
    Especially interesting were the variations on Ave, maris stella
    by Thorsten Maus, with whom Gavin studied a few years ago.
    Look up his music and play it!