Byrd's Mass for Three Voices (Credo)
  • Again a question about Byrd's Mass for Three Voices. (Thanks for clearing up my question about Kyrie last time.)

For an upcoming EF Pontifical Mass, I am planning on doing a polyphonic setting for the verse 'et incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto ex María Vírgine et homo factus est' within the Credo III (Gregorian chant). Our schola is pretty small and most of us don't read music very well. I am thinking about using that verse from Byrd's Mass for 3 Voices since I think it's not too difficult. Do you guys think that it will work?

Or do you guys have other suggestions for that? Any other setting which is easier Byrd's Mass for 3 voices?
  • rich_enough
    You might also want to look at some of the purely chordal settings of the "Et incarnatus est" section from otherwise difficult early Renaissance masses by Josquin and others which would work well within a chant setting. They would be easier than the Byrd. It seems as though the section from Josquin's Missa Pange Lingua would fit with Credo III.

Sam Schmitt
  • Pes
    I agree, Sam. A three voice setting is not necessarily any easier. In fact, it fewer parts often means you need stronger/better singers to carry it. The texture is very exposed.

That said, put in the work and go for it.