St Josaphat Church, Detroit: Chantmaster Needed for Immediate Employ
  • St Josaphat's Church in Detroit is in URGENT need of a permanent chantmaster to establish, build up, train and instruct a quality schola cantorum for the purpose of providing sacred music for the Traditional Latin Mass offered every Sunday at 9:30 am. This is a paid part-time position.

For further details regarding the opening, follow this link: http://goo.gl/fBaoh

Also, please be so kind as to offer any, and all suggestions as to how we ought to go about finding qualified individuals to fill this much needed role.

Thank you and may God reward you,

--Daniel Egan
    danmcegan@gmail.com
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for posting the job opening. For the convenience of readers, I will copy the full job description here:

Part-Time Position: Chant-Master
    (Updated 1/29/2013)
    A part-time paid position for a chant-master has opened up at St. Josaphat Church, Detroit. Responsibilities will include preparing and leading the choir for Mass on Sunday mornings (9:30am) throughout the year, Catholic holy days of obligation that should fall during the week (7:00pm), and occasional other events. Opportunities for additional work, if desired, include special events (e.g., weddings and funerals) and Monday night Benediction services.
    Requisites:

Vocalist with advanced knowledge and ability in Gregorian plainchant and polyphonic conducting.

Must possess good interpersonal skills and be willing to organize and train a choir to sing Gregorian plainchant.

Must be willing to work within the strictures of the extraordinary (ancient Latin) form of the Roman Catholic liturgy.

Must be willing to comport oneself properly in the context of a traditional Catholic community; Catholic candidates preferred.

Highly qualified candidates will also possess a knowledge and love for the rich Latin choral tradition of the Catholic Church.

Some ability to play the organ preferred.

Interested individuals should contact Mr. Daniel Egan: danmcegan@gmail.com

Usually, we follow a custom of closing job threads to further comments, but since Mr. Egan asked for suggestions, I'll leave the comment box open here, just for that purpose. Thanks!

--RC (forum admin)
  • GavinGavin
    You should also contact the Detroit chapter of the American Guild of Organists. Also, speak to the director of music for the diocese, Joe Balistreri, who is himself a tireless proponent of the EF Mass.
  • ghmus7
    Just to note, the church is a stunning example of American 19th century Gothic.
    http://www.historicstjosaphat.org/
  • marajoymarajoy
    danmcegan-
    Contact local universities (I'm specifically thinking of U of M- their organ department, and early music department,) and see if they either have students/recent grads they can suggest, or simply advertise the position for you.
  • This is such a beautiful church. I used to pass it on my way to Detroit metro. Someone will be very lucky to take this position in one of AOD's most beautiful churches.
  • Well, putting it up here was a good start, as I've just emailed you my resume!
  • That's not too far from here, and I would if I could, but can't give up a full time position for a part time.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions