Exciting News about the Responsorial Psalm !
  • Dear Supporter of Catholic Sacred Music,

For the first time in history, Catholics can purchase a complete book of Responsorial Psalms with each Psalm verse carefully written out for organist and cantor, using the modality of Gregorian chant.

Back in 2007, I started composing chant versions that notated each verse. It took forever, but I felt that organists and cantors would appreciate the extra time and effort. As of 27 October 2012, I’m happy to say that the complete set is available for purchase and, as a matter of fact, has already begun shipping!

This handsome 387-page book contains all the Psalms for Years A, B, C, and ABC.

The website has more details: ccwatershed.org/psalms

If you order during October, using the code “OCTBOOKS12” will save you 20% off the total price. The website also contains a useful link to coupons you might need in the future (for instance, I believe the code “WELCOME” will save you 15%).

The edition has been dedicated to His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, who is a true servant of Jesus Christ.

• matthewjmatthewj

One day, long after we're dead, when the history of this period in church music is written, it will be noted that the Ostrowskis, Rices, Aristotles and Oost Zinners (as well as some others) saved the world.
  • Which Bishops' Conferences' Lectionaries use the Psalm translations this book is based on?

In other words, in which English speaking Catholic churches can these psalms be used?
  • Any. Actually, these are more accurate and acceptable than the paraphrased psalms also permitted in almost all Bishop's Conferences.
  • How well do these psalms work for choirs? That is, do the organ parts exceed a comfortable range if used as ATB accompaniment, especially for the B?
  • jpal
    EAF, they could easily be used for choirs. To see examples, click on any feast from here and click on the accompaniment for the one that says "Version used in the Vatican II Hymnal."
  • Is there a country in which exists blanket permission to use any paraphrase of the psalms?

My understanding of the liturgical law is that only the psalm text in the lectionary may be used for the responsorial psalm. That's certainly the situation in the United States and in Canada (which have different lectionaries).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've heard Dr. Paul Ford, a good and holy man, say something along the lines that paraphased psalms are allowed. I've heard his reasoning for this, but do not recall the entirety of it. Perhaps he could post here some of his documentation.
  • jpal
    GIRM 61

In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm. [Emphasis added]

Metrical psalms are necessarily paraphrased. But this is obviously is not "blanket permission to use any paraphrase of the psalms."

Jon
  • That's a lot of options!

In Canada, the correponding adaptation says
    Instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum , or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books.

That's it.
  • Liam
    Well, I should note for the record that Theodore Marier's Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles preceded this in doing this.
  • Liam said: "I should note for the record that Theodore Marier's Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles preceded this in doing this."

Hi, Liam! Actually, Ted "stacked" the verses, as is normally done. This is a lot faster, from the point of view of the composer and typesetter, but less musically satisfying, as each verse must be "crammed" to the same format, as opposed to looking for subtle differences (for instance extremely long verses vs. extremely short verses).

Theodore Marier's collection is very famous and admired by many people. In particular, I know several people on this forum are desperately hoping they will be reprinted, even though they use the old texts. An article in Sacred Music published soon after Ted's passing claimed that they were (in fact) being revised and would soon be republished, but I am not sure what the current status is.

In my collection, the verses are not "stacked."
  • Liam
    Now I get the distinction, which escaped me in your initial description.

As things stand, the "old" texts remain current, and are likely to remain so for years at this juncture. And, for sung (as opposed to recited) psalms in the US, they are likely to remain current unless the USCCB undoes the grandfathering provided for in the GIRM for sung psalm texts. (In other words, one need not get scrupulous about the text issue for sung psalms.)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    My understanding of psalm texts is that the NAB (current U.S. Lectionary) and the Grail (currently used for the Liturgy of the Hours) are both
    acceptable for liturgical use. That is, since the Grail is approved for the office it may also be used at Mass. Then there is the newly revised Grail psalter from Conception Abbey which is now considered the official English translation of the psalter and will presumably replace both the NAB and older Grail in any future publication of the Lectionary or Breviary. Still for the time being any of those may be used for liturgical use until further notice (the paraphrase / metrical option notwithstanding).
  • Nicely put, Earl!
  • It seems the answer to my original question is: those in the United States of America. In the UK and places where the UK lectionary is used (Caribbean) the Grail translation is normative. And in Canada the NRSV-based psalter is normative.
  • Yes, however, there is still the issue (correct me if I am wrong) that there are no approved sung texts. It's been awhile since we covered this - has this changed?
  • There are no approved sung texts for the minor propers (introit, offertory, etc) but the responsorial psalm in the lectionary is to be used whether sung or not -- and not singing it is the last least option.
  • awruff
    Msgr. Moroney always held that another translation of the Responsorial Psalm can be used if it is sung - i.e., for the sake of the published or known musical version, one can use that translation. Hymnals have been approved for publication by the BCDW since the last GIRM which have various translations. The latest round of hymnals, however, all have the Revised Grail. I have the impression that only Revised Grail and NAB of lectionary wil be approved for publication by BCDW, but other translations can be used locally. I'm happy to hear more accurate or more recent information if anyone has it.
    awr
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Liam
    In the USA, one is limited to the Lectionary text for the psalm only if it's recited; this is not true if you sing it. All translations previously approved for liturgical use (not just use at Mass) are grandfathered (a very sensible approach designed to avoid what might be called psalter rupture). We've covered a putative list in older threads.
  • I saw "Exciting News about the Responsorial Psalm!"

and thought..

"Is it going away?????"
  • In the USA, one is limited to the Lectionary text for the psalm only if it's recited; this is not true if you sing it. All translations previously approved for liturgical use are grandfathered.

This is correct ... and believe it or not just one USA Bishop approving a 'renegade' text means that the entire USA can use that text, according to the USCCB Secretariat. Forever.

The normal reading of the G.I.R.M. by any Canon lawyer would be that each variant ('renegade') text would have to be approved by the local Bishop. However, the USCCB Secretariat has said over and over that only one Bishop in the USA has to approve the variant text, and that means anyone in the USA can then use it—see my documentation on this. I found this so hard to believe I pressed him several times, and the answer has not changed.

What this has created is our current situation, where more than a thousand 'renegade' texts of the psalms can licitly be used for USA Catholic Masses as long as they are sung.

'Renegade' texts (variant texts) are texts that don't match the Lectionary or the Revised Grail. They come from all kinds of different sources. Some come from different translations of the Bible (Protestant and Catholic). Others are 'homemade' translations by musical composers who lack serious training (or, in most cases, any training whatsoever) in Latin, Hebrew, or Greek — like David Haas, Marty Haugen, Laurence Rosania, Rory Cooney, Owen Alstott, Bob Hurd, Dan Schutte, Paul Inwood, Michael Joncas, Robert Duffold, Julia A. Mundell, Scott Soper, Mike Balhoff, Gary Daigle, Janie Gustafson, and a whole host of others.

Hymnals have been approved for publication by the BCDW since the last GIRM which have various translations.

This is actually incorrect. See my last post on this. The USCCB Secretariat has been clear that the BCDW has never "approved" any hymns or variant texts in any hymnals. The wording in the front only concerns the Lectionary texts and (oddly enough) the Mass Ordinaries, and nothing else. Please see my last post on this.

So, for instance, the hymns in Glory & Praise and all the other OCP books technically cannot be used at Mass (nor can the Psalms) since they lack approval by a Bishop (but their Board does have a Cardinal on it). Please c.f. my last post, which has letters from the publishers and the USCCB Secretariat.
  • Here is a post I have done, and I am looking for the others I created:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/7149/

Here is another:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6272/
  • Do not say "forever" — say "until some new version of the General Instruction some day changes the current situation."

For the record, our Collection does not use any "renegade" texts — we adhere strictly to what is found in the current Lectionary.

Incidentally, there has been much written recently about the possibility of revisions to the Lectionary, but all the best sources have said time and time again we are 10-20 years away from such a thing.

Here is one example:

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/5849/
  • We are ignoring the news here - Chabanel is now published!

To show how important this is, what other Responsorial Psalm books are there - excluding the pulp missal supplements - meaning, books that are designed and sold on their own.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • WendiWendi
    Other than the Parish book of Psalms?

Congratulations on publishing the Chabanel. Just in time for Christmas too. (I'm not really joking... I plan to get each of the cantors I know their own copy as a gift.)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Thanks for the links SanAntonio. I 've often wondered if mainstream hymnals actually received any kind of approval. I don't see an Imprimatur in the front of the book. Even if they are approved for publication it doesn't explain all the heresey in many of the texts. Some people are convinced that if it appears in a hymnal or other periodical it may be used for Mass in any capacity. Take funeral planning for instance: pick your four favorite songs from this book, and if there's something else from the radio you'd like to hear, we'll try to work that in too.

As for Chabanel, I was also thinking Christmas gifts for cantors.
  • Imprimaturs are VERY difficult to get - been waiting 6 years on one in a book that is nothing but a compilation of already-"imprimatured" music of the ages. Censor got the book and it lays there. Some Bishops do NOT want this music out there.
  • So, at this point the public can buy:

The Chabanel Psalms
    The Parish Book of Psalms

What else, please?
  • BenBen
    Aristotle Esguerra's Modal Responsorial Psalms are now out there as well.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • They can message me and get a copy of Responsorial Psalm Tones for the Canadian Lectionary.

Gregorian basis; responsorial style; no accompaniment; Canadian text; approved; in use; free; but not yet published.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • It seems the Current Lectionary will stay with us a long time.

The words of Cardinal Donald Wuerl USCCB (Spring General Meeting, June 14, 2012) seem to agree with the USCCB Secretariat: “The process . . . is going to take a long time. That’s just the nature, and you’re going to hear in a moment why . . .” “Now, as I began, obviously this isn’t going to be done overnight. But we’re asking simply to begin this process so that we will have all of this eventually to bring back. This isn’t being said facetiously, I don’t expect that I will … be presenting this. [laughter] But it’s the time to start . . . The sooner we get started, the sooner some of you will live to see it.

More sources are given here:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/questions/
  • Here's hoping for a Dobszay-esque revision when it does come, and and that the ICEL approves the Knox translation!

(Is that too much?)
  • E_A_Fulhorst, you could write Responsorial Psalms using the Knox and get it approved by your local Bishop. Then all of America could enjoy.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CharlesW
  • Does the Knox use "Thee and Thy" or "You and Your" ?
  • chonakchonak
    "Thou", singular; "You", plural.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen