The Argument for Unpaid Church Musicians
  • The fact remains that most congregants truly have no idea what goes into planning liturgy on a weekly basis (and most times more often). Whether we have advanced music degrees or not, we still confer with each other (this forum is a good example), listen to countless hours of music, practice countless hours, and for most part-time DM's, also hold outside jobs and/or go to school. Music is an integral part of liturgy, whether or not is is chanted, accompanied, or just instrumental. To me, nothing is worse than going to a mass where a "volunteer" takes over the music ministry and knows next to nothing of sacred music. Imagine what the choir would sound like with no professional direction, or a group of musicians that all come together without direction and all have a personal opinion of what is "right" in terms of liturgical music. Yes, I do believe wholeheartedly that church musicians should consider their "jobs" as ministry, but that does not mean that we should be disrespected. In most cases (unless you are holding a full-time position in a huge parish), the amount of compensation we receive is barely enough to cover the gasoline to get to the church for masses and rehearsals. Most of what we do IS ministry, but we bring with it professionalism and and education.

Perhaps years ago when things were financially easier, musicians offered their time and talent for the church and did it with a good heart, such as the "volunteer old lady organist" mentioned by Mike R. Things are different today.

But, to add insult to injury.....I wonder how many people who think we should not be paid would be willing to give up their coffee and donuts on Sunday morning and their social hall fellowship. That costs the church money, too, right? Or parish dinners for special events that are given freely and without charge to the parishioner?

Just a thought.......
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Chrism
    The idea that you should pay for quality is not really Church thinking. (It's also not exactly AGO thinking, if memory serves.)

There are no structures in place to enforce quality anyway...does anyone know of a DM who was actually fired for poor quality musicianship? The only DM's I know who have been fired for musicianship reasons, have been fired for good musicianship.

Except for that, if a firing occurs, it occurs for some unexplained reason which makes some people angry, and everyone sad. Then some friends of the pastor will say quietly and without elaboration that it was the right thing to happen, and everyone moves on.

The Church encourages striving for quality, but lacks any mechanism for enforcing quality, because "charity" dictates waiting for the 40-year-old DM to retire or the parish to close, whichever comes first.

And besides, De gustibus non est disputandum.

So if you can't get quality, why pay? Only to justly remunerate for the time spent.

And how much time is actually spent with a single volunteer choir practicing 3 hours a week for 8 months a year, singing at one Mass/week, and then accompanying several other Masses on Sunday? Yes, I'm sure I'd be surprised. There's photo-copying (which can be outsourced for cheaper), music searching (which can be done once) and organ practice. But barring weddings and funerals, I have to think it shouldn't take more than 20 hours/week.

And who says that a full-time job is 40 hours/week? That's a full-time union job, folks. Most full-time professionals in the States work 60 hours/week to earn a family wage, with professional development time on top of that.

So here's my proposal. If you want a full-time wage, either plan to run 5 choirs, or else plan to accompany all the Daily Masses, and Vespers and Benediction every night.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Some very, very ignorant comments from people who I thought knew better.
  • CharlesW
    I think matters like pay and working hours are a result of individual negotiations with the hiring pastor. They really are not anyone else's business. It is an employer/employee relationship and as long as both parties are satisfied with the arrangement, I can't see how it needs anyone else's approval.
  • Kathy
    Chrism,

You forgot emails, planning, funerals, weddings, organization, and like 45 other things.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • Chrism
    Kathy, I did mention funerals and weddings, which are variable work and typically paid separately anyway.

By my math:
    3 hours for Sunday Masses (12 months)
    3 hours for choir rehearsal (8 months)
    14 hours for organ rehearsal and music distribution (8 months)
    plus
    17 hours/week for 4 months for planning, music picking and organization
  • Are we all aware that benediction Tantum is to be sung only in Latin?

Uh, no. Cite?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is there anyone here whose work for 3 Sunday Masses actually takes 180 minutes? Anyone who completely neglects organ "rehearsal" (I prefer "practice") for 4 months of the year?
  • Chrism
    Irishtenor, thanks for your feedback. I've revised the numbers based on your comments.

5 hours for Sunday Masses (12 months) (includes 2 hours paid downtime)
    3 hours for choir rehearsal (8 months)
    12 hours for organ practice and music distribution (8 months)
    plus
    15 hours/week for 4 months for organ practice, planning, music picking and organization

• irishtenoririshtenor
    Chrism,

Thanks for your comment and consideration.

I don't mean to nitpick or to be combative, but how do you wind up with the same amount of hours of work (960, assuming 4 weeks in a month) when you acknowledge that we spend more time at Sunday Masses and more time practicing organ? That doesn't take away from other work.
  • Kathy
    Not every program shuts down for the summer. Don't see the funerals or weddings in this last schema. Nor any schmooze time--as if that's not an important part of the job. Nor training cantors. Nor enough choir rehearsal time (mine are 6-7 hours/ week, when there's nothing special going on). Preparation of bulletins announcements or music lists, anyone? Staff meetings? Maintenance, interaction with the school, working with the DRE/RCIA Director/ Pastor, holy day Masses? And heaven forbid if you wanted to read any documents or attend a professional development meeting.
  • Chrism
    I'm saying I think 12 hours is more than sufficient for weekly practice and "music distribution".

I'm saying I think 255 hours over the summer is more than sufficient for all Summer music tasks outside of playing at Masses.
  • Chrism
    Kathy, if you're paid $250/funeral and $300/wedding (or whatever, as long as it's just), you don't need to be paid more than 20 hours' wage for the other tasks during the week on account of the funeral and wedding work.

Professional development is a benefit which in the rest of the world is only available to full-time employees and is often on the employee's spare time.

Now you're saying that your choir comes 6-7 hours a week. What a rare blessing! I think you're well on your way to justifying more than 20 hours/week in work. School? Another blessing. If you have a school choir or teach classes, it definitely justifies more hours.

Bulletin announcements - not that much work, most of which can be done by the secretary (unless the pastor asks you to put together a full music program). Cantor training - definitely extra work, why isn't the cantor paying you for this? Staff meetings - not every MD has to attend these, perhaps your attendance could be part of the salary negotiation. Holy Day Masses - most parishes only provide music for Christmas, and the three days of the Triduum. Maybe we're talking 15-20 hours of work for these days and Palm Sunday? Could probably be taken out of the Summer line item without impacting planning.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    Chrism, you're being very silly. And on Labor Day.
  • CharlesW
    Chrism, I don't know where you have been working, but many of us would like that gig. I just retired from teaching because with school, being parish director of music and organist, I never had a work week less than 60 hours. Often, it was more, especially at the major liturgical seasons. I have reached the age where that kind of work load is simply too much.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Andrew Motyka
  • Chrism
    Maybe I'm being ignorant about the average MD's workload, but I think the question of paying musicians should be based on the Church's social teaching.

I don't think it's realistic to implement a commercial view of this (i.e., buying the best music money can buy), but maybe that would be a better approach.

Where I live, salary structures in parishes are exorbitant and churches are closing as a result. The hierarchy is proposing that to solve the Church closing crisis, we hire more professional lay ministers with high salaries. It's crazy, people are unhappy, and they're refusing to donate.
  • Ally
    Thank you Kathy and irishtenor for pointing out that this is a bit ridiculous.

For Holy Days, I don't know about you, but I had 3 Masses on the Assumption. Will on All Saints. Even on IC which will be a Saturday, I will have a 9am Mass and then the regular Saturday Mass of Anticipation at 5pm. ALL of which take extra time to rehearse with a cantor (not sayin an hour, but time nonetheless).

I think a lot of us write our own bulletin announcements. And some of us have to write regular columns too! You forgot making worship aids/music bulletins/whatever you call them: if you have to do them for even just the big days, even WITH a template, etc, which I do, it STILL takes time. Parish secretaries don't usually do these for you...And then to call in volunteers to fold or staple 700 booklets, etc unless you want to do them when you are sitting around those vast amounts of hours you aren't working...

If we're talking DMs here, I'm sure a lot of us have more than one choir as well. (try four...). That require communication, music preparation/distribution/etc. Just the emails, calls and dealing with this number of people and all the cantors takes several hours each week. Maybe they don't call you, but they call/email me. I'd rather they communicate. Sometimes they just call to say that they enjoyed rehearsal. It is not all tedious work. But it still is work.

And what's with this "3 Sunday Masses = 3 hours?" Most DM's have plenty of stuff to do between Masses, before/after...paid downtime???

Also, do you really do all your planning in 4 months? Wow, nothing unusual must EVER come up for you.

Thanks, Kathy, for also pointing out the communication with the DRE and pastor, etc. To really be on the same page, especially a larger parish (where there is more likely to be a FT DM) then this is very important, and can take a lot of time.

Wow.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Kathy
    I don't know that there is an average workload. But I'm pretty sure skimping on MDs' time and salary decreases energy and quality, decreases use of volunteers, and increases dependence on paid subs. You end up with less, and don't save much.

I just added a fifth choir--the second Spanish choir--so 6-7 hours is just minimal. Much more on a Holy Day. The week after the Assumption (3 Masses) was our parish bilingual festive patronal feast (1 big complex Mass with several rehearsals). Our cantors are volunteers, so it would be pretty weird to ask them to pay me for the privilege of being trained. And funerals take a lot of time, even if someone else sings and plays. I really don't think you're being realistic.
  • Chrism, you seem to be forgetting that the 3 hours a week with the choir is physical rehearsal with the group. I often spend twice or three times that amount in preparations for the actual rehearsal. Practicing conducting, working out organ accompaniments, deciding which parts need the most rehearsal time spent on them, ect...
    You also mention the music for Feast Days, and I can attest that on Christmas this past year, I was in the church building from 8am on Christmas Eve until 12 noon on Christmas Day. I did manage to get away for half an hour for a lunch break and to grab dinner and I got about an hours nap in the choir loft after Midnight Mass before the early morning Mass.
    I ask, what would you thoughts be on the Religious education directors, or the maintenance people. Should they be paid for how many hours they actually put in? After all, for the religious education, our classes are from 10 to noon Saturday morning. The books are provided with a "teachers" edition. So at most the religious education director would put in 6 or 8 hours a week. The salary is nearly double what I make for being in the church building Monday through Friday for a minimum of three hours. Around 12 over a regular Saturday and Sunday run.
    Thanked by 4ryand Ally Kathy Salieri
  • Chrism
    Kathy, I don't think we disagree at all. Five choirs clearly merits a full-time salary.

If you look at a typical parish with 250 families that has one choir, singing one Mass a week (+ two Masses with just organ/cantor), and treat funerals and weddings separately--because they're paid separately--then I think the DM has a part-time job and can only justify a part-time salary plus a stipend for funerals and weddings unless the DM commits to additional work.

If you have a big parish with 1,000+ families and 5 choirs and a school, you've got a full-time job that clearly deserves a full-time professional salary with benefits.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Ally
  • Chrism
    I ask, what would you thoughts be on the Religious education directors, or the maintenance people. Should they be paid for how many hours they actually put in?

Yes!
  • CharlesW
    If it were not for the money, the glamor, and the groupies, I would get out of church music. ;-)
    Thanked by 3Kathy Jenny veromary
  • Kathy
    Chrism, you are right, we don't disagree. In my neck of the woods, though, my parish size is both large and typical. 250 families is almost unheard of. 5000+ parishioners is normal.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • TCJ
    If I got $250 per funeral, I'd be on my way to retirement!
    Thanked by 3Kathy Salieri Spriggo
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    If we're talking about a parish with 250 families, then I think it would be pretty rare to have a full-time DM. Coming at things with different sets of assumptions frequently leads to fruitless arguments.

For a 250-family parish, you may be right, Chrism. A modest, PT position may be appropriate.

I work in a parish with more than double that number of families. I would guess that most FT DMs here are working at parishes significantly larger than that.

I work, and I suspect most of us full-timers do as well, with a medium-sized adult choir, cantor practices, plus preparing our school children for the music at their weekly morning Masses. I'm at church, working on sacred music with children, cantors, or full adult choir, 5 days a week. Not to mention holy days, civic holidays, funerals, and weddings. I could not hope to hold down other jobs and still do my work at the parish effectively.

Does that change things for you?
    Thanked by 2ryand Andrew Motyka
  • TCJ
    I worked at a parish with around 500 families (with about 200 active) and had about 20 hours/week worth of work, and that was mainly because they had far more Masses on a weekend than they should have considering the size of the church and the few people who attended. However, not my fault they were willing to pay someone for all that! At one time the parish had about 1200 families, and back then the job was nearly (not quite) full time for the then MD.
  • DougS
    The flaw in the "count-your-hours" argument is that many full-time DoMs are frequently expected "to be at the office" during business hours, regardless of whether any music-related work is being done, simply to facilitate the running of the parish. If the secretary works only 3 hours a day, 3 days a week, who is there to take phone calls, greet the poor and needy, etc.? The full-time employees.

I'm sure any full-time DoM would LOVE to focus on only music-related tasks and be done, but that's the definition of a part-time job.

Or maybe the church should just close its doors when no one has any specific "task" to do?
  • Chrism
    That's not a flaw, Doug, that's a salary negotiation point.

who is there to take phone calls, greet the poor and needy, etc.?

Um, the second part-time secretary you hire? The priest? A permanent deacon? The custodian? A volunteer?

I have to admit, this would be a novel pitch to a donor to ask him to fund a professional musician.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • DougS
    My only point is that there are jobs in this world--many of them--where "part of the job" isn't doing the precise thing that the person is most trained to do.

I'm a professor. I teach for 6 hours a week yet I easily work 60+ hours a week. It would be a novel pitch to alumni to ask them to fund a musicology professor who deals with students facing emotional trauma (as is common on campus) or other items that are clearly under the umbrella of some other profession on campus. Yet somehow these things fall into my lap, and they take time. It is the same in any large institution, organization, or corporation.

I don't know what line of work you are in, but in every place where I've worked (including in retail), the part-time folks (and this includes part-time faculty or hourly employees) are expected to show up, "take care of business" for the allotted time, and leave. The full-time folks, or those on salary, do all of the administration, whether it means being "on task" 25 hours or 70. And the people doing the hiring understand this.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, DougS. As a DOM/Organist and recently retired teacher, I agree it isn't the strict job description where most of our time goes. In both jobs, I had and have to do quite a bit of hand-holding, counseling, individual tutoring, etc. Let me change a bit of that. I don't HAVE to do those things, but they are generally a sign of professionals who care about the adults and children they work with. Sounds kinda Christian, doesn't it?
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • DougS
    Exactly, Charles. That's the difference between full-time and part-time, IMO. If I were a part-timer, and indeed I was a part-time faculty member for a time, I would show up, teach my class, grade, and go home.

In my current position I would be fired if I did that.
  • DougS
    Re: salary negotiation. How does that work?

Priest: "We're going to offer you a full-time position for $45,000, but if you decide you don't want to come to some all-parish functions, we'll knock it down to $43,000. If you only answer music-related e-mails, we'll knock it down to $41,000."

Musician: "What if I come to half of the all-parish functions, answer my e-mail only when I'm at the office, and never take any phone calls or make emergency trips to the church supply store?"
  • GavinGavin
    I'm shocked that anyone would disagree with what Chrism is proposing. All he's saying is that someone with one choir isn't (usually) working full-time. He's not saying that those who work full time shouldn't be paid as such.

I'd propose that for two or more choirs, the job ought to be classified as "full time". And paid as such.

I just see a lot of knee-jerk reaction from the other side in this.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • DougS
    That's true, Gavin. I admit that maybe I'm misunderstanding the point.

It's also possible that I mistakenly believe a full-time person whose duties are more all-encompassing is, in many but not all cases, a value-add over a part-time person. Fortunately I don't make these decisions.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There are legitimate FT church music jobs.
    There are legitimate PT church music jobs.

There are also lots of church music jobs that are somewhere in between, and I think there are even plenty of legitimate volunteer church music jobs.

I suspect that what people get upset about is the number of people (particularly priests) who don't know the difference. After (for some) a lifetime of underpay and under-appreciation, it's understandable that some of the people in this conversation will take their frustrations out on each other. (Lord knows they can't complain to their Pastor.)
    Thanked by 1KARU27
  • DougS
    I agree with Adam, but my point (at least) is that using quantifiable hours worked is perhaps not the best way to distinguish the difference between FT and PT.

If your job includes managing other individuals, it should skyrocket toward FT in the minds of those doing the hiring.

The compensation relative to the direction, "Make it happen," is key here, not the # of hours worked.
  • GavinGavin
    I'm a big advocate that those in charge should, rather than hire full-time, determine their needs and means and hire appropriately.

A parish with 5 choirs, but only willing to pay a part-time salary should probably drop some choirs from the position's oversight. A parish with 2 Masses and one choir should probably hire someone part-time, rather than full.

Those are the decisions I don't see being effectively made. I see part-timers expected to put in 60 hours regularly, especially when the parish doesn't even NEED that much work.
  • DougS
    I agree 100% with Gavin. Part-time pay for full-time work is wrong. There are churches out there that go it about it the wrong way.

Once needs and means have been assessed, though, what are the key items that should determine whether the position receives full-time benefits or not? Assume for the moment that ability to pay a small salary with benefits is not an issue. Maybe the real problem is that diocesan finance offices squeeze workers into hour-by-hour categories that may not be appropriate given the nature of the work?
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but many music directors, both full and part time, are expected to arrange, publicize, and even perform in concerts outside of a worship setting. At my church we do several of these a year, involving musical talent from both the church and the college up on the hill. It's extremely time-consuming to write and send out press releases, design and distribute posters, select and order music, arrange rehearsals, design programs, etc. I don't get paid extra for this -- the church simply views it as part of the 'outreach' aspect of my job -- and the church secretary is already too busy to give me much help. Perhaps I could enlist a team of volunteers, but, you know, if you want the job done right...
    Thanked by 1formeruser
  • Choir rehearsal is 2 hours a week. Add 2 hours for score preparation. That only includes motets and anthems. Add an hour to prepare any gregorian propers. For any "extras" such as soprano descants, etc add some time as well.

Playing for Sunday masses means I'm AT the church and playing or getting ready to play from 8:00 am until 12:30 each Sunday and 4:00 pm until 6:00 pm on Saturday. This time includes the actual mass, plus the half hour before meet up with the cantor to warm up and time to put things away, get out of the loft and go home. So weekend masses altogether are 6.5 hours each week.

Now add about an hour of cantor rehearsal. Add 4 - 6 hours for organ practice if you want to have preludes, postludes, and voluntaries at the preparation of the gifts.

Add an hour or a few for staff meetings, liturgy meetings, returning e-mails, phone calls, etc. This includes fielding questions and preparation issues with brides. I get paid a seperate fee to show up and PLAY for their wedding. Meeting with them and answering questions is part of my job.

Add up to two hours for preparing the weekly worship aid, which includes setting things in Finale, etc.

Right there, we are up to approx. 20 hours a week for the TANGIBLE things that we can easily quantify.

Now for the not so easily quantifiable. What about staying up to date in education? For example, dialoging with colleagues, reading pertinent journals and scholarly publications, and reading (venerable) sources such as this very forum? Yes, I consider that part of my job, to be educated and aware of the liturgical landscape around me.

What about keeping my choral directing and chant directing skilles honed?

What about the concert series and visiting choir program that I run? I have to find groups that fit our budget (almost non-existent) but who are not completely pedestrian and will bring an audience. This can involve many e-mails and phone calls coordinating with college choir directors, negotiating performance terms with the directors of professional groups, etc. Don't forget about coordinating their arrival times, making sure the space is ready for them to rehearse, taking up the free-will offering, etc.

Don't forget about all the other things that are so routine that it's easy to forget about ... changing the numbers on the hymn boards, preparing the greeting announcement each week for the cantor, preparing the choir binders and mine for the weekend masses ...

Oh - and ... our choir isn't a fully professional choir. I can't throw 8 part polyphony at them. I have to spend a CONSIDERABLE amount of time investigating music that is "credible", but also DOABLE for them - and I try to not just do random things for no reason (i.e., let's just do Palestrina's Sicut Cervus this Sunday), but things that FIT the proper texts or theme or readings of the day. So I spend HOURS looking at CPDL, looking through online catalogs, etc.

All of this could EASILY climb to 30-40 hours a week.

So what is my point? In my position I'm able to do all of this with a very fair part time (3/4 time, really) salary and work expectation.

BUT - whatever you do - do NOT ever fall into this trap that someone could "show up, play/sing/chant whatever at mass and then go home." And that all of that should be woth a $75 a week "stipend."
  • My 15yo son is the organist and I am the choir director for one Mass per week at a medium-sized rural (I guess that would translate to smallish urban) parish. We are paid a modest sum per Mass and choir practice (once per week). I can understand the thinking of not getting paid for what I would do anyway, i.e. assisting at Holy Mass, and can imagine parishioners wondering why we should get paid anything at all. But no one sees the hours we put in in preparation and planning outside those two hours per week nor considers that we live 25 miles from our church.

During the summer I did not get paid because the choir did not sing. I volunteered as cantor and in arranging all the music for my son to play at Mass, including extra practice for both of us each week. It was an offering freely given to encourage sacred music in our parish (that was enough remuneration for me!)

Another situation--my eldest son is home for a while, just graduated from college and able to play our church organ (which he did one Easter a few years ago). I asked our pastor if he would like this son to play the organ for the Saturday vigil Masses where they use a synthesizer instead of the organ. He said "there's no money in the budget for that". We thought about just having my son volunteer, again along the lines of promoting sacred music, but decided in this case that wouldn't be right--that the parish should recognize the importance of hiring an organist for Mass. That they synthesizer trumps the organ in this case kind of boggles my mind.
  • CharlesW
    It's funny how there is always money in the budget for something that Father wants, isn't it? Don't buy that story. It's about priorities, not money.
    Thanked by 3TCJ CHGiffen redsox1
  • TCJ
    It's funny how there is always money in the budget for something that Father wants, isn't it? Don't buy that story. It's about priorities, not money.

So true! At my parish, money was spent on so many useless things or for redundant positions, but in about ten years the music budget (read MD's salary since there was no music budget!) was cut six times. Hm. Actually, make that seven because I'm 100% sure that the person who came after me took a hit, too.
  • It's funny how there is always money in the budget for something that Father wants, isn't it? Don't buy that story. It's about priorities, not money.

Precisely, which is why I said this not something to volunteer for. If it were important to the church, my son would be paid.
  • Chrism
    Doug, if a paid musician is spending a significant (read: 25%+) amount of his job performing work duties utterly unrelated to music like pastoral counseling, secretarial work, maintenance, getting the priests coffee, etc., it might well be part of a fair employment arrangement.

But I would have a problem if the pastor puts the entire salary of a musician who's really a 50% musician/50% pastoral associate on a "Music & Liturgy" line item in the annual report. It's dishonesty against the people of the parish and ultimately against Church musicians in general. It's not like the parish bookkeeper is expected to play Vespers twice a week to balance things out, right?

OTOH, if the musician is a very generous Christian who loves to help the Church out wherever he can during his personal time and at his initiative, then I don't see why we're talking money at all.
  • Kathy
    Lol. The day after Labor Day.
  • Chrism
    [Deleted.]
  • DougS
    I don't disagree in any way with your final post, Chrism. So perhaps I chose a bad example of an "extra" duty that isn't specified in the job description, and I have been misreading all along.

For me, the fundamental issue is simple. Speaking as someone whose job isn't measured in hours and minutes (and as the spouse of a full-time DM whose job also isn't measured that way), I bristle at the notion that "man-hours counting" is in fact the best way to go about measuring work and doling out pay as a consequence.

If reasonable people can have enough trust to pay an employee $ABC to accomplish tasks X, Y, and Z up to a particular standard, then it shouldn't matter how long it takes the person to do it. When task X is "make the liturgy happen with excellence," there are many moving parts that need organization, which requires a broad set of skills, including people and musical skills, none of which are really quantifiable in "hours worked." Sometimes "making the liturgy happen with excellence" will take 60 hours, or 70. Sometimes it will take 25. In the end, if the liturgy is excellent, you are getting what you pay for because everyone has agreed on its value. Giving someone freedom to complete tasks as he or she sees fit (because of his or her unique expertise or skill set) is starting to look like a "full-time job" in my book.

When, on the other hand, task X is "play the organ on Sunday," that's a bit more limited in scope; Johnny B. Organist could drool for all we know. This is starting to look like "part-time" or "per service" work to me.

Personally, I would prefer that we get rid of meaningless phrases like "part-time" and "full-time," because using the number of hours worked as a way of quantifying work done seems like a largely meaningless form of social control that diminishes the value of the human person. In the past I have worked with many "full-time" employees who took forever to complete even the simplest of tasks; they were paid the same as the efficiency experts who could finish tasks in 20 minutes and played solitaire all day.

Maybe using phrases like "per service," "salaried," and "salaried with benefits" to describe a job would be better. Defining these along a sliding scale of tasks to be completed and people to be managed would be a good start toward eliminating confusion about whether or not getting to that 26th hour of work really makes a big difference. Beyond that, as Chrism said, defining more specifically what the tasks are is a matter of salary negotiation. In my experience, though, the task of "being there" is an unspoken agreement that "full-time" persons make; maybe they are selling themselves short.
  • Post removed by author
    Thanked by 2DougS canadash
  • How I wish that there were no way to retroactively DELETE posts after you have made them. You shoot off your mouth, for better or worse, stand by it.

On some forums I've been on people take screen shots and post them when someone does this.
    Thanked by 3Spriggo Chrism marajoy