The Argument for Unpaid Church Musicians
  • TCJ
    On another site, the question was asked if church musicians should be paid. How do you like this answer someone gave?

"No.

We should sing because of our Love of God and called to share and serve at the Eucharist in the way we are called to do so. To be paid would demeen our love and Worship God. You wouldn't want someone being paid to worship God would you. Whether you [are] the Music Director or a choir member or whatever, you sing because God has called you to sing and for that want no money what so ever because it would spoil our worship of God.

Okay we are paid at Weddings but for us it goes into a choir fund. Other choirs may receive individually. It will vary internationally. But we all chose ours go into our own fund and we choose what we want but it all goes through the Church Council by our choice. Though if there are any juniors they receive cash per wedding.

I wouldn't dream of being paid to sing at a Eucharist whether lead a hymn or psalm or whatever. I sing because I love singing and think being paid would take away worshippig God because that is what it feels like it come down to. Being paid to Worship God.

We are there to worship God and not be paid...
    "

Obviously the person writing is a singer, but seems to want to apply no pay to all musicians. And another doozy follows (by another person):

"I can't believe this is a question!

Mass is not a concert where you pay for the music. Certainly, occasions, and I'm thinking weddings, funerals etc, outside of a normal Sunday obligation should be worth considering. A musician may have to take time off to be there, or it may be their livelihood. But even at that, it shouldn't be coming out of the parish resources, but rather the happy couple etc..

But, on a Sunday mass? I mean where do you stop? Do we pay EMHCs, readers, the altar servers? What about those who give time outside mass, those on Pastoral Councils, Finance Committees, Altar Societies. I could go on and on.... Should EMHCs be paid for 'home visits'? I just don't think financial remuneration should be the motive for involvement in a Church ministry.

Just out of curiosity, what does a musical director do outside of Mass? Is it a regular 9-5, 5 days a week? How much music is going on during the working week in a parish?
    "

Church music is in bad shape at the moment. Can you imagine what it would be like if these people had their way? Even the cathedrals would have to only have volunteers except for special occasions. Quotes like these make me wish I had a brick wall to bang my head against.
  • CharlesW
    When God really wants to punish someone, he first takes away their mind....
  • GavinGavin
    Just out of curiosity, what does a musical director do outside of Mass? Is it a regular 9-5, 5 days a week? How much music is going on during the working week in a parish?"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I know MY days outside of Sundays are just spent lounging around in my swimming pool full of money!

Seriously though, I've never seen such astounding stupidity.
    Thanked by 3Ben IanW eft94530
  • Send them back this message!

Would you expect to have a volunteer brain surgeon work on you voluntarily?
    Would you expect the captain at the controls of that airliner, to be a volunteer, carrying around your family?

and on and on.....

To have that beautiful and inspiring music on Sunday, it comes with a price. It means someone has to either find employment which will allow for absences from weekend working, as well as all those solemnities and other holidays. It means sacrificing sitting with family, it means not being able to go with your family anywhere on the weekends, as you are most likely in mass, as well as plenty of other sacrifices.

Sounds like a bunch of out of touch with reality, nuts! You can send them back this message; would they like it if someone volunteered entirely for their profession?

By the way, do you have a link to that forum and thread? I am sure plenty of us would like to chime in.
  • Liam
    Oh, how this reminds me of a dreadful encounter I once had after Mass one otherwise fine Sunday. The rectors had cut a full-time DOM&L position and turned it into a half-time position, and the occupant of the position of course left. In the interim, I directed the choir. When the opening was announced, after Mass a very irate congregant marched right up to me to complain that the community should not have to pay for any musicians because it should be done out of loving service to the community. I clarified that I did indeed volunteer (and gave back any stipends as a donation), but that it was unreasonable and indeed immoral to expect people whose vocation it was to work in the field of sacred music to not earn a just wage. We did not even agree to disagree, shall we say...

Btw, the Catholic church (prelates, clergy and unvowed laity) has still not gotten over the expectation that there is a surfeit of free labor available in the form of religious sisters.
    Thanked by 2IanW Jenny
  • SalieriSalieri
    ...and if all the musicians were volunteers then the people could truly participate actively and truly be church, rather than hiring all of these elitists who only want to show off the choir and the organ, and sing music in a dead language that no-one understands... Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Chrism
    There is a good argument for unpaid church musicians.
    There is a good argument for paid church musicians.
    There is no good argument against church musicians, paid or unpaid.
  • jczarn
    Not sure if direct links to other forums are allowed, but I too stumbled upon this thread earlier. It is in the "Liturgy and Sacraments" forum of Catholic Answers Forums. Speaking of which, I often come across threads on there that I wish more of us would see/respond to. I see an awful lot of liturgical music relativism whenever I happen to browse through that forum.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Would anyone listen? Fisheaters, Rorate Caeli, New Liturgical Movement, and Fr. Z --- but other than on these forums quoting from even Laszlo Dobszay is apt to get you banned at most places.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I usually make the argument that the vestments are professionally made, as is the altar, the lighting system, the air conditioning system, the church building itself, etc.
  • Did someone remind them that the Holy Priest who offers Mass is paid a salary and stipends not to mention room and board, not sure what he does though.... Some are good at booking t-times.
    Parish secretaries don't do much either (again sarcasm), but are generally paid. Bishops and bishops secretaries get paid... YIKES.

Poetically, monsignori have to pay for their cassock and title.

All this betrays that most people don't really care about the liturgy. For them rupture has occurred and nothing really matters so long as they get to go to Mass. Funny that they even give.
    People seem to like it when there is a building project (parish hall, new black top, new roof etc.) they like it when those guys get paid. And Father looks good when it happens.

No, music is just a thing that happens at Mass. Liturgical chant/sacred music are neither known or important. We shouldn't be shocked anymore. Let's pray for them and keep on going.

Personally, I work on my tan up here in the great white north when not at Mass on Sunday. Soon, I will blend in with the beaches bums of SoCal.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • EMHC bring communion to the sick or infirm. An act of charity no doubt, but the Parish Priest actually gets paid to do that.... hmmmmm. Maybe EMHC should bill. Of course they have done years of study and continued research to maintain themselves as EMHC, then they of course continue throughout the week doing other acts of charity like clothing the homeless and feeding the poor every day. Then I am sure they attend seminars and take advanced classes in being a Christian... This is of course how they feed their families. Ooops wait, we shouldn't have professional musicians, instead well intentioned people who sing in tune are needed to provide to the single greatest action that happens on earth. What we need are plumbers and electricians who have the time to study music and liturgy and carry forth the work of the Church. It makes complete sense to me now (again, bad sacrasm)

I should stop now. My tanning has been interrupted.
  • BTW, seriously we do need plumbers and electricians to attend Mass and perhaps join the choir led by the professional musician.
  • hartleymartin
    At the rates that most church musicians are paid, it is an act of charity.

Perhaps we should expect priests not to take a stipend, or that builders should erect churches for only the cost of materials.

Back in the day when there were lots of priests, monks and nuns to do this work for free, it made sense. However, you've got to remember that that laity need to earn their keep - ie put a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and shirts on their backs.

Frankly, you get what you pay for. Organ and Choral music would die without the church, and lots of musicians just couldn't make a living without it.

And think about it this way. It is easy to forget a homily, but one always remembers the words to their favourite hymns.
  • Palestrina, Bach*, Mozart, Saint-Saens, Dubois, Faure, Bruckner... to name but a few. Where would western culture be without these paid Church musicians.

The list goes one with painters and sculpters...
  • Carl DCarl D
    What most people see of the choir, organist and DM is singing for an hour a week. If that really was the job, then unpaid is fine - and in fact most singers are volunteer. But look at an actual DM job description and you see it's impossible to have another full time job to feed your family.

Parishes exist with no paid musicians at all (including mine). Quality suffers, and it burns people out.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Anton Bruckner (1824-1896), devout as he was, was primarily an academic throughout most of his long life, certainly following the St. Florian period (1845-1855) when he was both a teacher and an organist. He became a composition student of Simon Sechter at the Vienna Conservatory in 1855 for six or seven years, further studying with Otto Kitzler (and learning of Richard Wagner's music) until he was 40 years old, in 1864 when his first mature work the Mass in D minor was composed. Upon Sechter's death in 1868, Bruckner succeeded to his mentor's music theory teaching post, and moved on the the Vienna University in 1875.
  • hartleymartin
    As far as I am aware, there is only one full-time paid position for a church musician in the Catholic Church in Australia.

The rest of us have to do something else for a living. The pay we get for the Sunday masses for which we provide music don't pay our bills. They just stop us from starving.
    Thanked by 2veromary veromary
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Is this true, Hartleymartin? I would swear that I have met more than one full-time musician in an Australian Catholic parish's employ, quite apart from Geoffrey Cox at Melbourne's Catholic cathedral and Peter Kneeshaw at Sydney's Catholic cathedral.

Organist Christopher Trikilis - for whom, as it happens, I shall be substituting this coming Sunday - earns, by Australian rather than American standards, a thoroughly respectable amount (and quite right too) for the organ-playing and choir-training he does at the Melbourne suburban parish of Saint Patrick's, Mentone. Now it's true that Mr. Trikilis also does piano-teaching, but I believe his church work is where most of his income originates.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • Yes, Bruckner the Academic who craved the approval of Gustav Mahler who later called him "half man and half God". Bruckner started of course in St Florian but then as a Church musician also in Linz where his skill at improvising and contributions to the sacred repertoire were very important.
  • The issue is simple: Trained versus Untrained.

You get what you pay for. And free help is almost always impossible to control.

There is nothing more dangerous that a volunteer church secretary.
  • hartleymartin
    RJ Stove

Musician as in ONLY employed to do music? Chances are that that most also have to be the liturgy co-ordinator, and I don't think very many make their living solely from their church work. Most also teach either private lessons or teach in schools to earn their livings.

There could always be positions that I don't know about, but a full-time organist at a church is something I have never encountered anywhere in the Suburbs of Sydney. Most parishes still live under the illusion that talented volunteers are there ready to work for nothing. The fact is that those with real talent are off earning a living elsewhere.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I imagine that if Catholic Music culture were different, that there would be enough well-trained and talented volunteers to provide music for every small parish that couldn't afford to pay anyone, and that there would be enough full time positions at mid-to-large churches, Cathedrals, seminaries, schools, and universities to employ all (or, a lot of) the high-caliber professional musicians that have no employable skills outside of church music.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Most of Bruckner's major motets were composed from 1868 onwards, when his primary employment was as an academic and teacher. Even his 7-part Ave Maria and the Afferentur regi were composed at the end of his studies with Simon Sechter in 1861.

St. Florian/Linz period, 1836(?) – 1854
    "Pange lingua" C major 1836?/1891 WAB 31
    "Libera" F major c. 1843 WAB 21
    Two "Asperges me" c. 1844 WAB 3
    "Asperges me" in F major c. 1845 WAB 4
    "Tantum ergo" A major c. 1845 WAB 43
    "Tantum ergo" (Pange lingua) c. 1845 WAB 32
    Four "Tantum ergo" B-flat, A-flat, E-flat, C 1846/1888 WAB 41
    "Tantum ergo" D major FEB 1846/1888 WAB 42
    "Tantum ergo" B-flat major c. 1854 WAB 44
    "Libera" F minor 1854 WAB 22
    Vienna period, 1861 – 1892
    "Ave Maria" for 7-part chorus 1861 WAB 6
    "Afferentur regi" 13 December 1861 WAB 1
    "Pange lingua" & "Tantum ergo" (Phrygian) 31 January 1868 WAB 33
    "Iam lucis orto sidere" 1868/1886 WAB 18
    "Inveni David" 21 APRIL 1868 WAB 19
    "Locus iste" 11 August 1869 WAB 23
    "Christus factus est" 1873 at the earliest WAB 10
    "Tota pulchra es Maria" 30 March 1878 WAB 46
    "Inveni David" 1879 WAB 20
    "Os justi" July 1879 WAB 30
    "Ave Maria" in F major 5 February 1882 WAB 7
    "Christus factus est" D minor 28 MAY 1884 WAB 11
    "Salvum fac populum tuum" 14 November 1884 WAB 40
    "Veni Creator Spiritus" 1884 at the latest WAB 50
    "Ave Regina caelorum" 1885–88 WAB 8
    "Ecce sacerdos magnus" APRIL 1885 WAB 13
    "Virga Jesse floruit" 3 September 1885 WAB 52
    "Vexilla regis" 9 February 1892 WAB 51

Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That's a lot of settings of Pange Lingua / Tantum Ergo for one composer (it seems to me).

I understand Bruckner was a devout Catholic, did he also have a particular devotion to the Blessed Sacrament? (I would chalk it up to a love of Trochee, but I'm not aware he wrote very many settings of the Dies Irae...)
  • Liam
    "You get what you pay for."

I always amend that truism to stress: "You are wicked lucky if you get what you pay for."
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It has been recounted, that Bruckner, upon hearing the Angelus bell of the nearby Monastery ring, interrupted his lecture, fell to his knees and prayed the Angelus. His settings of Pange Lingua and Tantum Ergo are early works from the St. Florian/Linz period, which, although quite accessible, do not reflect the mature Bruckner associated with his more famous motets and major works.
  • This is the #1 most frustrating problem for Catholic music today. There is a "rip off" culture alive out there in which talented people are used and used up and walk away bitter. this has been going on for untold decades but it has been worse since the "anything goes" attitude took effect. I've yet to see clear to a way to tackle this problem.
  • Liam
    Jeffrey

It's partly due to the strong residual life of the worship-by-precept culture that obtained in the Roman rite for centuries. Outside the monastery, priory or convent, music becomes baggage on the journey to fulfill one's precept correctly with the minimum amount of effort. Many of the people who don't care about preceptual obligation no longer worship regularly, so there is some selection bias at work in the half-life of this culture, shall we say. It's going to take generations for this to fade.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Part of the problem is that places that want free also aren't really interested in high quality, usually.

For example:
    I would be willing to direct one (and only one) Sunday Mass for free, in my spare time, if I could do all Propers- chant, polyphony, sacred choral, and some hymnody. Between the Graduale, the SEP, the V2 Hymnal, Chabanel, the PBC and the Catholic Choir Book, music planning time could be greatly reduced, and I would find it a joy to sing and conduct this music without the hassle of figuring out every week what is to be sung.

I imagine there are other people out there who would similarly be willing to step up to one Mass, maybe two on a weekend. (Hence my comment above.)

But the kind of places that want free, also usually want a style of music and music-programming that, while perhaps requiring less skill, certainly takes a lot more time and energy.
  • GavinGavin
    To play Devil's Advocate (quite literally) :

A musician for Mass shows up, opens his Graduale to the correct place, puts a bookmark at whatever Mass Ordinary he wants, then when the bell rings he sings the Introit, Kyrie, Gloria, Gradual, Alleluia, Offertory, Sanctus, Agnus, and Communion. Then he goes home and returns in a week.

How much SHOULD one get paid for that?
  • SalieriSalieri
    If he has done it well, and we assume he has, it means that he has studied those pieces for years; taken hours to disect each pressus and trigon; compared it to St Gall & Laon; copiously marked his Graduale with each additional episema and lequescent that serves the text and the music, and erased many that haven't. This on top of taking some kind of music lessons, probably piano and voice from good teachers. He has spent personal time, money, and energy to attend Chant seminars across the country. I'd say, easily, at a small parish, for one Mass : $100.oo. (At this rate it would take months to pay off the cost of attending one Colloquium (flight, hotel, tuition... presuming my memory and maths are right!).

If he has not done it well, he should be paid just as much so that he can save up and start attending these seminars so that he can learn to do it well.
    Thanked by 2Jenny CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Gavin if there was such a parish within an hour's drive of me...I'd do it for free. Then the parish would be able to pay a proper organist a living wage. Of course if the place were dreck free, the parish would probably be paying a living wage to the musicians in the first place because they would understand the concept of the laborer being worth his wage.
  • GavinGavin
    My answer would be: he should get paid enough to want to do it!

I obviously have a vested interest in good church music salaries. But. As I see it, it takes VERY LITTLE to do the Catholic Mass as it ought to be done. It's us who are jacking up the requirements by adding organs, hymns, choirs, etc. NOT that any of that is remotely bad or trivial - IT ISN'T!! But, at a very basic level, Catholic music is really quite simple. Show up, sing the squares.

That's why, even though I don't practice Catholicism, and haven't been in a Catholic job in 5 years, I still love the tradition. It can be SO very basic. And it can be so complex and lovely - which is even better. But there's still nothing wrong with an amateur showing up with his Graduale and just singing. As I recall, some of the leadership of the CMAA do just that.

I say, pay for what you want. If you want chant propers, unaccompanied, little to nothing will get you the musical leadership you need. If you want organ and brass and hymns and five choirs, you need to PAY FOR IT!

Something tells me the people who are quoted in the original post don't want someone to come in for free and chant from the Graduale.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • jczarn
    On several occasions recently, I have offered to chant the propers/ordinary or organize a small schola for Nuptial Masses for friends of mine (for free), and have been turned down or ignored in each case so far (despite my wife's great marketing pitch to them: "Beautiful music from the treasury of the Church for your wedding, and he'll do it for free!").

I am sure I will cringe when I am in attendance as a guest at these Nuptial Masses coming up within the year... not because I am a great singer (I'm really not), but because of how far out of line with the Church's desires the alternative will be...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Salieri

The idea that singing chant decently requires such masters-level skills and preparation (the St. Gall & Laon.... really?) is part of the mindset that many of us are trying to combat. What you suggest also implies that I should have to go to Seminary before I can pray the creed, or that I should know Latin and Greek before I respond with my "And with your spirit."
  • WJA
    Adam Wood said:
    The idea that singing chant decently requires such masters-level skills and preparation (the St. Gall & Laon.... really?) is part of the mindset that many of us are trying to combat. What you suggest also implies that I should have to go to Seminary before I can pray the creed, or that I should know Latin and Greek before I respond with my "And with your spirit."

I agree with Adam. I direct a men's schola that sings Latin and English plainchant at least three times a month at our parish, both OF and EF, with the Latin plainchant largely from the Graduale, and none of us can claim those credentials or training.

Sure, we'd love to have that kind of training, but while it's desirable, it's not necessary to chant well and enrich the divine liturgy. What is necessary are the resources and practical guidance provided by the CMAA and the people on this forum. Equipped with those resources, our band of willing amateurs has, over the past four years, learned to chant well and improve the richness and solemnity of our parish liturgies.

Up with paid musicians and trained experts, I say, but up with willing amateurs and those kind souls who support them, too!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Please, please, don't get me wrong, Adam, et al.

I firmly believe that anyone can sing chant, but, it does not mean that anyone can automatically sight read Siderunt Principes. What I was trying to get at is that even just "showing up, opening the Graduale, and singing" requires a lot of work. I do not have a master's - I don't even have a bachelor's - but I spent years learning how to chant under the tutilege of a former Benedictine Monk using the Solesmes method. I personally prefer "Semiology", but learning where to place the ictus in traditional Solesmes Method takes time and practise.

I can now, after 10 years of practising and studying, sing much of the Graduale - with practise - not at sight; but two years ago it was a struggle to get through Christus Factus Est, and two years before that Kyrie Fons Bonitatis was a struggle; nine years ago, I shudder to think how aweful my rendition of 'Adoro te' must have been! And, after ten, years I can still manage to change keys three times during a gradual, and sing a podatus backwards!

You don't have to have a master's to sing chant : the beginning scholas at the Colloquium are proof of that, but you do need to learn - somehow - and practise...a lot. It takes hours of practise to hone one's craft as a musician, whether in chant or any other form of music - even popular musics. And I believe too, that part of the reason why most churches do not want to pay adequate salaries for musicians is that they don't take into account that even a beginning organist needs to practice for hours before he's ready to play AURELIA. The powers that be seem to think - in my experience anyway - "Why do we need to pay him so much, he's only here for an hour each week, and he doesn't even play the whole hour!"

We seem to take liturgical music for granted. It's always been there (of one quality or another) and it always will be.

Please forgive the blabbering, and also forgive me if I seem rather ascerbic. I do not intend to offend, and if I have please tell me and I will remove my postings.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Tantum Ergo was big in the 19th c, esp. in France. A lot of Expositions, I'd gather. It's not just a Bruckner thing.
  • hartleymartin
    You don't need to be a monk to sing chant well. Start with the basics and work your way up. I think that Adam Barlett's SEP is a great places to start, especially the 7 Ad Libitum Communion Antiphons.

People forget that the performance of music is only one aspect. Then there are the hours that one puts into rehearsal and preparation. I've spoken with several musicians who say basically that they can't afford to work for less than $100 per hour when performing.

For every hour of performing a musician does, abotu 4 or 5 hours of preparation go into it. Suddenly, you realise that musicians are not particularly well-paid.
  • Chrism
    If he has done it well, and we assume he has, it means that he has studied those pieces for years; taken hours to disect each pressus and trigon; compared it to St Gall & Laon; copiously marked his Graduale with each additional episema and lequescent

No, it doesn't. There is one official Editio which is sufficient.

I would warn people against troubling the consciences of musicians with what sounds like a liturgical form of Jansenism.
  • Chrism
    free help is almost always impossible to control

Well, correct, but control is more an abuse than the purpose of the Church's hierarchical structure. We are not supposed to behave well out of fear of earthly loss but rather we ought to obey lawful commands out of desire for Heavenly good. Those (liturgy committee members, for example) who desire control do not like to be reminded that their liturgical abuses are unlawful and do not deserve obedience. They want to be the ones to decide these matters in accordance with their (dim) lights.

I'll reiterate that there are great arguments for paying Church musicians, but there cannot really be arguments against volunteer Church musicians, in principle. Cf., De Musica Sacra:

101. It would be ideal, and worthy of commendation if organists, choir directors, singers, instrumentalists, and others engaged in the service of the Church, would contribute their talents for the love of God, and in the spirit of religious devotion, without salary; should they be unable to offer their services free of charge, Christian justice, and charity demand that the church give them a just wage, according to the recognized standards of the locality, and provisions of law.

102. The local Ordinary should, after consultation with the diocesan commission of sacred music, fix a scale of wages to be observed throughout the diocese for the various offices mentioned in the previous paragraph.

103. An adequate program of social security should also be set up for these persons in accordance with civil law; if the law makes no provisions, the local Ordinary himself should make regulations regarding social security.

• Years ago the son of my good friend (a non-musician) was shocked when he found out I had several music degrees. He asked, "They give college degrees in Music?!" To him it was a silly idea, "Who needs a college degree to be a musician?" I was so shocked I couldn't answer. That someone would actually think this had never even occurred to me. Most non-musicians have no idea the amount of study and practice required to be proficient and worth listening to.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • In the 1950's on some parishes, benediction was almost daily and the Tantum sung. This is before the OF became the one-size-fits-all liturgy.

Are we all aware that benediction Tantum is to be sung only in Latin?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Let me change my original post, since it seems that the bone of contention does not lie in the hours it takes to practise, and the compensation there of, but the idea that somehow Cardine, Mary Berry and all things Semiological are Anathema :

If he has done it well, and we assume he has, it means that he has studied those pieces for years; taken hours to disect each pressus and torculus, copiously marked his music with every ictus, laboured over ever isolated punctum, written in the chironomy where it helps, and rewritten it if the arsic and thetic flow isn't right. This on top of taking some kind of music lessons, probably piano and voice from good teachers. He has spent personal time, money, and energy to attend Chant seminars across the country. I'd say, easily, at a small parish, for one Mass : $100.oo. (At this rate it would take months to pay off the cost of attending one Colloquium (flight, hotel, tuition... presuming my memory and maths are right!). [...]

This thread is supposed to be about monetary compensation, not the relative merits of one method of interpretation of plainchant over another.
  • donr
    I for one have no issue with not being paid. I lead one mass (Sunday 8am, that I would attend anyway), one rehearsal (Tues eve 7-8pm) and choose the songs. Maybe an extra hour. So I put in about 3 hours / week. At Advent / Christmas and Lent / Easter I'll put in more but I don't mind. I never went to college for music but have a love for it. I am a decent singer so I try to give my talents back.

I am trying to convince our parish that we need a DM. Someone with a college degree in music and the liturgy. Someone who will at least communicate with the whole group. They just don't have it in the budget. I will keep pushing for it.

I just need to be careful what I wish for a DM may come from a mind that I don't care for, then what?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Don, if he/she has a a "college degree in... the liturgy" I might be weary. Rather, I would look for someone with experience in collaborating with an already-existing program. Invite two or three candidates to come down for a weekend and work with the music groups that already exist at your parish. See how they do. Sometimes far too much emphasis is put on degrees.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Ally
    Matthew, please don't be so quick to dismiss those with liturgy degrees. It depends on where the liturgy degree is from (and when)! Some of us are getting a very good liturgical education...
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • dad29
    Matthew's point was not that 'lit/degrees are malum in se' but that a candidate with (say) 15-20 or more years' experience in Church liturgical work and NO lit/degree may be just as good (or better) as a candidate with far less experience AND a degree.

I might add that we are talking about Church musician positions, not 'liturgist' positions here; the liturgist is the priest.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Interesting comments!
  • Mike R
    I fully agree that musicians (along with other church workers) should be paid, and paid well. But I think most people are coming from an institutional memory in which the pre-conciliar music was on a volunteer basis, more closely in tune with what the Church asks, and, if not more skillfully done, then at least more reverently done. The norm here in the hinterlands was to have a volunteer old lady organist, with the school children, who had spent the week in music class learning the propers, as the schola.
    Thanked by 2Chrism R J Stove