Terrorized by Penguins
  • CharlesW
    The 1962 missal is one that you obviously have a personal and emotional attachment to. That's fine and there is certainly nothing wrong with that missal. It just isn't the law any more outside the EF mass. Yes, it is the law for the EF, but only for the EF. The rubrics in the new revised missal are perfectly clear - to those who want to follow them. I have read it, own a copy of it, and also have read GIRM. Again, the rubrics in the new revised missal are perfectly clear - to those who want to follow them
  • Response: No. 1, here.
  • CharlesW
    The unfortunate thing, is that while Vatican II was a high point in the lives of people my age, it means nothing more than musty old history to the younger crowd. The appearance of the mass, even when celebrated correctly, is different enough from the 1962, that I am afraid the majority would now reject the EF out of hand. The EF is just too strange and different to most. I am afraid that this "continuity" you reference is gone. Most would never see any connection between the two.
  • The 1962 missal is really important because it shows us where we came from- it's the best way of interpreting the current missal in a 'hermeneutic of continuity'.

If one doesn't feel called to worship according to the older missal, that's their choice.

If one is ignorant of the older missal and it's living tradition and thinks one is correctly interpreting the newer missal as the most recent council intended, one will not have a very clear picture of orthodox liturgical praxis. The list of options, especially options indicating preferences, makes less sense without the context of what came before, what was revised, etc.

Working intensively with both missals has opened my mind and heart to the huge gift BXVI gave us in Summorum Pontificum. There was so little cohesiveness in the decades following the council- we need to unwind and reflect at the same time the Church, as always, moves forward. Most of us can agree that, after looking at SC, the liturgical reforms of the council have not been met, and in most places veered off course.

I would go so far as to say that the best way forward is to have one sung EF Mass in every parish with three or more Sunday masses. How's that for radical? I know I'm not pope, but that's my lastest dream, which has been growing with my prayerful experience of the EF.

The hurdles to a liberal application of SP are major: priest training (because most never had it in seminary), bishops' attitudes, and skilled musicians to lead. So yeah, I know it's a very far off dream.
  • I guess I'm an optimist, Charles. But I have seen a patten- where the EF is offered, it draws families, incl young people, and thrives. That's been an unexpected realization for me. And so has my attachment to it- I didn't see that coming. And I hear that from people under 40 (and several over 40) all the time.

What's the EF like in your diocese?
    Encouraged? Fostered? Supported? Discouraged? Barely tolerated? Is SP treated as a gift or a dead letter?
  • The EF is just too strange and different to most. ... Most would never see any connection between the two.

In the accidents, maybe, but not the substance. Give me the substance of Christian worship in the NO and the worthy accidents will come back soon enough.

But what is the substance of Christian worship? A good title for a book? Well, yes. It's also what the hermeneutic of continuity can teach us, the collection of underlying principles which govern Christian worship.

I am afraid that this "continuity" you reference is gone.

I know it's gone. Yet continuity, thanks to the Holy Father you and I both admire, is an axiom-level assumption, and officially.

If de facto there is no continuity but de jure there should be, then we'd better start making facto resemble jure. EDIT: THIS IS A LOOSE, RHETORICAL USE OF THE WORD; DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH EXPLICIT CITATION OF "LAW"; THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
  • Missals are not laws. They follow liturgical law, they quote Church law but they are not in and of themselves Church Law. The Liturgical Laws of the Roman Catholic Church are not Codified. Not even for the 1962 Missal. This is a VERY important point and why I hope our current Pope is working towards having this done. Which document (bull, Motu proprio or council), takes precedent?
  • DougS
    Mary Ann, I think we are making the same overall point, but we aren't articulating it in quite the same way. To state my own position more succinctly, orthopraxis is not in the document itself (i.e., the missal) but in how it's implemented. If this is indeed what you are saying, I agree with you.

The point actually seems very obvious to me, and this is where I also feel the strongest agreement with EA (Benjamin?). Orthopraxis, by definition, is about "the doing." If we concede that there is a right way of doing (or many right ways, as the case may be), then doing the right thing is not dependent on the circumstances in which it is being done; ideally, it should be second nature. EF? OF? The possibility of orthopraxis (or not) is within both. End of story.

[On preview]: Mary Ann's vision of the future reminds me of something I have to deal with on a daily basis. To give you some background, I have a lot of experience in higher education, primarily at large public research institutions with diverse student populations (much like San Diego State and Fresno State, coincidentally). I've never taught at a community college but I have taught many disadvantaged students. So please read the following with that in mind.

More specifically, Mary Ann's vision reminds me of the model of teaching and learning that community colleges reject by their very nature as institutions providing an education regardless of status: the idea that if we simply hold up a model of true knowledge, people will recognize it as such and be drawn to it for its own sake. For some students, even today, this model works. I can lecture for 50 minutes and the authority of my expertise alone is enough for some students to lap up everything I say. Great. I am indeed an expert in my subject and if people would just listen to me, they might learn something. Anyone who has been to college has likely had professors like this.

Community colleges rightly reject this attitude. They stand by the maxim that the best way to teach is to meet people where they are and lead them to where you want them to go. As I said before, many of my students come from disadvantaged educational backgrounds, and I've also found that this is the best approach for them. If they can't write very well, I can't just give them good writing and say, "Distill first principles from this and apply it in your own writing." Instead, I have to meet them where they are and lead them to where I want them to go. And you know what? Sometimes by taking this approach I do things I really wish I didn't have to do--like take the time to explain the difference between "its" and "it's." That was someone else's job. They are in college. These kids today. What happened to parenting or personal accountability? We can come up with a million reasons why, at this moment, I have to teach little Johnny the difference between "its" and "it's," but that doesn't really help little Johnny, does it?

Yet how many times have we read on this forum that going into an OCP parish as music director would be the road straight to the devil? Or that the OF is inherently bad? Or that if only nuns hadn't terrorized children, they would be perfect Catholics? Or if only men would sing...? Or, or, or? Lots of excuses; not a lot of empathy.

It is great that some here are able to implement the EF gloriously, or to introduce chant of any kind to a congregation, but many, or dare I say most, parishes are nowhere near this. Nowhere. That is certainly true where I live.

To carry the higher ed analogy a little further, then, Mary Ann might be at Mount Holyoke in her FSSP parish and dream that one day all colleges will be as elite as Mount Holyoke, but the sad reality is that most faculty and most students reside at Metro/Rural Tech. We have to meet them where they are and lead them to where we want them to go. Maybe in the end, we will have something like Mary Ann's vision, but how we get there says a lot about us.

What does this look like in the more concrete scenario of a parish? I have no idea. I'm glad all I do is teach and that I don't really have much involvement with music ministry. Truth be told, I don't sing the bad songs, either. But meeting people where they are, instead of denigrating them for not being where we want to them to go, seems like a good first principle to me.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • DougS
    "The 1962 missal is really important because it shows us where we came from- it's the only way of interpreting the current missal in a 'hermeneutic of continuity'."

Again, as a historian, I wouldn't say the only way. There is a lot of history that we need to account for if we want to be smart about continuity.
  • You're right- I edited to say "the best way", not the only way. For some reason it didn't take. I will re-edit it.
  • As far as the "meet them where they're at" approach, I agree. Meet them where they're at and build. That's what I've done, to the best of my ability, at every parish where I've served.

Even at an FSSP parish, where the pastor embraces sacred music wholeheartedly, we're still singing Credo III and 5 ordinaries a year, so the people can sing the parts that belong to them.

The parishes that are nowhere near being able to have a fully sung liturgy with Gr chant, EF or OF, are also the ones that experience some of the hurdles I mentioned (not an exhaustive list, of course).
  • DougS
    Right. The parishes that are the worst off liturgically have many many hurdles, and that assessment doesn't include any extra-liturgical issues!

But compare Credo III and 5 ordinaries a year to "Storrington Mass."
  • But meeting people where they are ... seems like a good first principle to me.

"Distilling from first principles" and "meet folks where they are to lead them where they should be" are not mutually exclusive. They are interdependent. How will you lead folks to where they should be unless you know where you are going?

... instead of denigrating them ...

Has anyone here ever denigrated parishioners for not being where we should be? Isn't the focus on the liturgical sociopaths who are (or, thankfully, were) calling the shots?

Music directors are something of a middle ground between the two, and there's not going to be much disagreement in the reminder to speak the truth in charity toward these music directors, but otherwise this thread of the comment doesn't bear much scrutiny.
  • DougS
    EA, I don't understand your first question because you are stating the obvious. Clearly someone needs to know the goal in order to lead others. Nothing I said contradicts this, does it?

As for your second set of questions: Certain posters here are notorious for leveling criticism at average parishioners, or at Catholic culture more generally, which to me is virtually the same thing. Some of the comments near the beginning of this thread border on it, if you want one convenient example.

Aside from that, though, "liturgical sociopaths calling the shots" and "average parishioners" are frequently the same people--or least they are at every parish where I've been a member. Personally I have never encountered anyone external to a parish who has had much influence on the parish's liturgical life, only people from its own membership (and the pastor).

There are several books that treat this subject in some detail, though the specifics aren't necessarily about the liturgy: When Sheep Attack; Well-Intentioned Dragons; and others.
  • DougS
    I would add, too, that of the few parishes where I've been a member, only one had a music director who was not previously a member at that parish. In other words, it isn't necessarily safe to assume that the music director isn't among the liturgically sociopathic!
  • You focused on the issue of "meeting folks" to exclusion. This appeared to deny the importance of distilling from first principles.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Pardon me if this riles up an issue that went to sleep in this thread, but I attened an Eastern Rite parish for about a year in my previous hometown. While I recommend everyone try one if they get the chance, my experience was that they had many of the same problems that the Roman Rite has, especially in the music department. That is, it was Dan Schutte, Haugan/Hass and let me tell you, if you think that stuff is out of place in the Roman Rite, it's like getting run over by a truck in the eastern rite. It ain't the precept. it ain't a "Scholastic mind set". It is rather the secular liberal AmChurch mindset that withers everything it touches, no exceptions.
  • Wow Scott, that's a caldera sized cognitive dissonance.
    Condolences.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    "Wow Scott, that's a caldera sized cognitive dissonance."

I forgot to mention the presence of the electric bass.

Imagine DaVinci finishing his Mona Lisa by scrawling a Snidely Wiplash moustache under her nose to get an idea of the effect.

Even more sad was talking to the organist and when questioned about the sappy modern music replied that he had been "fighting that junk for 30 years." Yet another good musician with a good ear ground into the dirt by the Empire of Liturgical Trivialization.
  • The "Empire of Liturgical Trivialization" I like that title!
    Thanked by 2DougS E_A_Fulhorst
  • francis
    ELT. the darkside
    Thanked by 2DougS CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    In answer to MaryAnn's question about the state of the EF in this diocese, I have answered that on another thread. To sum it up, the bishop is supportive, there is one per week in my city, and one twice a month a bit south of us. It would grow, if the demand were there for it. It isn't, and the attendance is relatively flat.

On other things, I think we may be talking past each other a bit. As far as continuity, I found in my situation I could not begin with 1962 and work forward - or the 1965 missal or practices either. I had to start with, in my case, 2001 and work backward. Any good music in my parish is the result of many years of work by myself and my predecessor.
  • Charles, I contend that placing the EF in an innercity church in a relatively un-populated area aside from the nightly occupied rooms of the salvation army and the masses of homeless people that line the streets - it's a poor area and this parish and others do waht they can for these unfortunate people - and putting the EF Mass in the afternoon rather than scheduling it during the normal times that weekend masses are celebrated, tied into the denial of saying the EF mass in other parishes by willing priests in this diocese, the bishop is hardly supportive...

The good music in your parish and any parish in the diocese is solely due to yourself and a few others who believe in the cause. The lack of support from the bishop is evidenced in the removal of a list member (this list, but not me) with 19 years at the Cathedral and permitting his new rector to replace her with a person who is proud that she cannot read music.

And in the further removal of the diocesan music director with many years experience with the same person....announcing this at a diocesan meeting without informing the former director, who is also employed by the diocese and was, of course, at the meeting.

There is no demand for a 1:30 OF Mass anywhere in the Diocese, otherwise one would be offered....so let's bury the EF there.

These best thing about this group is that it is NOT tied to the success of the EF mass. In many cases, I think that it may be the reason that interest in the EF develops.

After all, what's better, attending Mass at which you do not understand a word but know that you have been in a prayerful environment for an hour OR attending a Mass where you hear every single word, hear music in your language but find your mind assailed by a continual barrage of speaking interspersed with music in your language but music that is not reverent. In addition the priest welcomes people, talks in his sermon about either his latest trip or right to life when thousands upon thousands of tennessee citizens are being royally ripped off by Title Into Cash and We Cash Your Check companies that are destroying familes...and the Church which could take a stand does nothing but rant on about it's causes and the the things priests do.

It was pointed out to me that the issue before last of the catholic paper, about 20 pages, had a picture of the bishop on every page but two...but then he was pictured on the last page twice.

I always thought a diocese was about the people.

PS: CharlesW and I are good friends...we see things differently. We all need to congratulate him on his retirement from being in the trenches at a Catholic school.

PPS: As MaryAnn says above the EF can attract people, if it's not buried in the closet.
  • CharlesW
    There is an OF mass even later in the day on Sunday at 6:00 p.m. It's somewhat "folk" and draws few people from our parish. They are mostly folks from elsewhere in town who are taking advantage of the last Sunday mass available in town. So I don't see the 1:30 p.m. time as a big problem. I have 4 masses myself in the morning, and I don't leave until 1:00 p.m. The EF mass is at 1:30 p.m. because no slots were open earlier.

The EF mass has moved around with the associate pastor who is the one who knows Latin and the EF rubrics. He is now at Holy Ghost, therefore, that's where the EF mass is. When he was somewhere else, the EF mass was with him. It tends to follow the priest, who is too conservative for many other parishes. We love him and were delighted when the bishop sent him to us.

Yes, I know about all those crazy things that have happened with diocesan people, but I will tell you my strategy for dealing with the diocese. No matter what event the diocese holds, I am not there. I stay out of the limelight and don't mix with them. I am probably much happier not to have to deal with them in the first place. They come, and go, and I never even know what they looked like.
  • I was surprised that none of the diocesan organists were invited to play at the installation of the last bishop until I found that none of them were interested....you are absolutely right about the diocesan situation.

And the EF priest is a GREAT PRIEST, but you knew that.

Other conservative priests in the diocese with an EF bent have been beaten down by calls to the chancery about "concerned" catholics with a small c.
  • FNJ, surely you realize all folks named "Charles" see things differently, it comes standard on all models. For your consideration, ladies and gentlmen, I give you:
    Prince Charles (Philip Arthur George....) Managed two lovely boys with one of the most beautiful women ever to walk the planet, but longed in his heart for...
    Charles Barkley (no more needs be said, I love the guy!)
    Charles (Charlie) Bucket- lover of Chocolate and philanthropy
    Charles Sheen (ugh)
    Charles Manson (arggh)
    Charles Cole and Charles Giffen (woo hoo)
    Charles Couralt and Charles Osborne and Charles (Charlie) Rose (a CBS three-fer)
    Charles Chaplin
    Charles (Charlie) McCarthey (not even human!)
    Haven't googled anyone and could still go on like the Energizer Bunny...but I'll mercifully cease. Save for wondering at times if Prince Charles was human.
    No matter what event the diocese holds, I am not there. I stay out of the limelight and don't mix with them. I am probably much happier not to have to deal with them in the first place. They come, and go, and I never even know what they looked like. Proves my point as well. C Dub is almost 3K miles away and we instinctively have the same policy! AND...
    FNJ and I are palsies too!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: bad music at Eastern Rite...

I was recently at an antique store in Austin. In a weird little cabinet full of books I find stack of hymnals from a Greek Orthodox church. I'm super excited!

Until I open one.

Text only
    All English.

All Lit Folk, campfire, cheesy white Gospel, and P&W stuff.
    This the Air I Breathe, Shine Jesus Shine, I Can Only Imagine, Let There Be Peace on Earth, Have You Seen Jesus My Lord, I Am the Bread of Life, Gather Us In...

I was flabbergasted.

-----

I heard on the radio recently some story about Buddhists violently attacking something (each other? some Hindus? I didn't catch enough of the story.) Based on what I know about the precepts of Buddhism, this seemed extremely odd.

But at the same time, when Catholics and Protestants bomb each other, or when opposing groups of monks break into riots in Jerusalem, or when Baptists hold up signs about how much God hates certain types of people- it somehow doesn't seem nearly as odd. But of course it should- the Christian Gospels and Buddhist philosophy (however different and opposed they may be on other matters) are equally contrary to violence and hatred.

It's just that it's more surprising to see the disconnect when it's outside your normal frame of reference.

Someone not familiar with the reality of Roman Catholic music would probably assume it's a lot of chant and polyphony (cf - every non-Whoopi portrayal of Catholics in movies). We all know that isn't the case.

Someone not familiar with Episcopalian music might assume it is a lot of English Choral music and/or a lot of good old Protestant hymns. But I've heard more weird folk songs at Episcopal Churches than I ever have in a Roman Catholic parish.

And, ah- the Orthodox. They, clearly, are not immune either.

There is no hierarchical solution. There is no universally-distributable guard on good taste. There is no set of first principles or right philosophies that will stop people from being every combination of ignorant, willful, goofy, disobedient, selfish, confused, needy, and completely nuts.

There is only work to do- one parish (or parish cluster) at a time.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I find that odd that some of you have had bad experience with Eastern Rite liturgies. While I admit my experience is limited (4-5 different churches,) it has been rather broad (Byzantine and Ukranian Catholic in 3 different states,) and I have only ever experienced no more than 1 hymn (at communion) and it was always fine. I've hardly even noticed a hymnal in the pews.
    (Or are you referring to Eastern Orthodox and not Eastern Catholic?)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    As an Eastern Catholic, my experience has been, and is, that we sing the chants in the pew book and nothing more. There can be a hymn at communion. Nothing I know of requires one, but it can be sung if desired.
  • chonakchonak
    I´ve attended a variety of Eastern Catholic services (Melkite, Ukrainian, Russian, Maronite, Chaldean, Ruthenian, Armenian -- I´m collecting them) and only a couple of times has anyone tried to sing American pseudo-folk devotional songs in the Divine Liturgy. Sorry to hear it hasn´t disappeared totally yet.

• CharlesW
    Hmmm. Pseudo-folk. We would set the babushkas on them. They have canes and know how to use them.
  • Maureen
    Re: the beginning of this thread --

I've just been reading Golden Mouth, a book about St. John Chrysostom. Apparently a good number of his surviving sermons consist of breathing fire and brimstone against anyone who dares miss Sunday Mass, or even those who dare do other stuff on Sunday besides attend services and stay home quietly. Not just "It's a sin," but "You are going straight to Hell, so let me describe both Hell and the handbasket in detail."

Furthermore, there are a huge number of martyr saints honored in the East who were martyred because they went to Sunday Mass despite persecution (by the pagan Romans, pagan Persians, heretical government, Muslims, pagan tribespeople, Communists, etc.), and they are quoted saying they had to go, and had to obey God rather than men, and would die of sin if they didn't go to Mass, etc.

So it would seem that there is an obligation in the East to attend Mass, on pain of sin and Hell, which extends even to suffering a martyr's death instead of missing. Just because there's a lot of exceptions to the rule and sensible allowances, and just because it isn't worded as being a sin as much, doesn't mean that Eastern Catholics, Orthodox, and the various other Eastern groups are all okily dokily okay with missing Sunday Mass unless you really really want to go.

What it means is that you're supposed to know you're supposed to go, because strong social disapproval and your parents and grandparents' preaching to you replaces the priest having to preach it to you.
  • CharlesW
    Maureen, I think you have to remember time and place in all of this. Granted, missing liturgy or Vespers is not to be taken lightly, because of our obligation of love to worship God. It just isn't defined as a legal obligation in canon law in the east. St. John was a wonderful fellow, but it's good to remember some of the things he was up against. I know we tend to think of earlier times as simpler, and more Christian than they really were. It was a culture coming out of paganism with heresy rampant on every side. St. John himself was driven out of office more than once because of his views. Also, this was a time when there really were three confessible sins - murder, adultery, and apostasy. It was generally believed the Eucharist forgave the other sins in both East and West. (Of course, the Scholastics had to muddle all that up in the West. They seemed to have that gift.) However, absolution was not given so easily in the early days. Penances could last for years. As for dear old St. John, he may have been like St. Paul. Great to read about, but not someone you would want to live with. To parody Ship of Fools, "Ten reasons St. John Chrysostom would have hated you..."
  • St. Hilary of Poitier was pretty tough when it came to heresy and he was a western bishop. I think it is the time more than the place, as Charles says, "It was a culture coming out of paganism with heresy rampant on every side."
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Just for kicks, imagine someone like Gloria Allred at the personal judgment.

I don't think the Judge will allow legal counsel.And I suspect that lawyers will become increasingly scarce as the judgement continues. As to where Ms Allred will find herself, I care not to conjecture.