Terrorized by Penguins
  • From another list:

That's because you're a Protestant instead of a Catholic! For that matter: I'm not either, but I do "play" one whenever I work in Catholic churches!! Here is what I've observed:

The entire mind-set of the RC Laity is completely different than yours. Catholics, for the most part, absolutely HATE being inside a church and are so fearful of God that they're afraid that if they dared to raise their voices in song that a thunderbolt is going to pierce the roof and strike them dead right on the spot! Would YOU sing if you lived in constant fear of God (as in: pure terror, as opposed to "fear" defined as reverence for Him?) Why do you think they are all cleared out of the parking lot in 5 minutes? They ONLY reason they are there in the first place is because of "mass obligation" (they were taught "you're going to hell" unless you show up at least once a week!) 1Those "Penguins" in Catholic school were MEAN!! Ask my brother how HE knew; he reverted to bed-wetting and nightmares when he was very young until my parents pulled him out of Catholic school.

Like I say, and Thomas Day reinforces in his book: There is a "culture" about Catholicism that is very hard and slow to change. The people who were terrorized about God by the Penguins in their childhoods all have to die-off first.

No offense intended to any RC's who LOVE God, good music and their church but by and large, this is what I've observed amongst most laity.

I add that my own personal belief is that the musical divide we see in the Catholic church is not people who like good music and people who like guitar music, but between "people who were terrorized about God by the Penguins in their childhoods" and new age easy-going there-is-no-such-thing-as-Hell catholics. If there were more Penguin-Fearers, we'd have better music.

• Preposterous.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What about those of us who have been terrorized by new-agey Penguins?
  • CharlesW
    I have always said, if you see a nun coming toward the door with a guitar, shoot first and question later. Don't even let her near the congregation. You will be doing a service for God and good music. ;-)
  • GavinGavin
    I agree completely with the quoted poster (from the same perspective). Catholics do music and liturgy like people who hate church. No doubt the majority of people there hate being there, and they drag down everything else. If all you have to do is show up, why sing? Why make responses? Why stay after you get your "treat"?

As I've said again, until and unless the "Sunday obligation" is lifted, nothing will improve. It seems to work well for the Eastern rites.
  • I have a big problem with mean penguins in school and at church, too. I'll bet the good sisters who ran my school would have a thing or two to say to them. Something about getting back to the South Pole.
    Thanked by 1Nicholas_Will
  • Gavin, how's the temp down in Houston? Settling in nicely? Jackson come by with some Jack and BBQ yet? If not, MJO find Gavin stat!
    Dude, you sound like you're going to burst a head gasket lately. It's
    "Summertime, and the livin' is........, is........., is........? ______" C'mon young blood, you know the rest and how to rest and what a rest is in music, ah......silencio, ruhe und still.

Consider or riddle me this, and I'm an old convert- the HRCC cannot "lift" the Sunday obligation because it is grounded in very sound and righteous theology. Man, I'll never forget going to confession at the first Pitt. colloquium and having a Latino confessor eviscerate me for missing Mass over the Sat/Sun travel weekend to PA, and he was RIGHT! At least one felicitous by-product of VII has been the catechetical push to get people to understand and accept freely the obligation. Would you rather she revert to browbeating the folks who ARE IN THE PEWS on Sunday under pain of condemnation and hellfire for the failure of the lazybones? Uh, no thanks, tho' a little brimstone now and then is a very good thing. You wanna get riled up? Next Ash Wednesday, paint yerself a placard that sez "Why the HELL are you here TODAY?" and picket outside the front doors of your church at all the services.
    Kathleen ought to add that to her dichotomies over at her great Cafe post.
  • GavinGavin
    I don't know that the obligation can be lifted, but the fact that it is not imposed on the Eastern churches would imply that it could be. Nor do I SERIOUSLY think it would fix anything. But I stand by the point: so many of the people at Catholic Masses seem to not want to be there. There are attitudes at work in the RCC that undermine seriously any hope of improvement.

I would even point to the Extraordinary Form as evidence for the general point. EVERYONE there is there because they freely choose to be there. No one is forced, under pain of hellfire, to attend the EF Mass. And the result? Beautiful music. Sincere liturgy. Strong lay devotion. And - dare I say it - full, conscious, active participation by most. They exercised their choice, and the result is beauty. See also OF parishes that have had a large change in membership. Beauty. People go to some of these churches out of choice, and the result is astounding. But where people go to fulfill a precept, the liturgies are uniformly dull and uninspiring.

I think "fear" is a weak descriptor, born out of an unfamiliarity with the Catholic ethos. After all, I made the same case to a Catholic priest once, and he responded, "The obligation doesn't exist. Sure, it's on the books, but no one believes it." I'd say "guilt" sums it up best. But whatever it is, the musical and liturgical culture will not reverse until people feel they have some stake in their parishes. I proposed that the obligation prevents this, but I really would rather propose that the "enemy" is the disengagement most Catholics feel from the parishes.
  • CharlesW
    We easterners do have an obligation to attend Divine Liturgy or Vespers - either will do. It is a requirement of love for God, and does not bind under sin. That Scholastic mind-set is foreign to us in the east.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I have to say, I'm glad that I appear to be a member of a different Roman Catholic church than some folks here. In my universe, most people appear to be attending church because they want a relationship with God and each other. If they don't like to sing, it's not primarily because of traumatic incidents during youth. More likely, they weren't encouraged to learn singing and were brought up listening to radio and watching TV as a passive audience.

I guess you see what you want to see.
  • Wow frogman - talk about painting with a VERY broad brush, this post from another list sure lives up to that saying.
  • francis
    singing is far overrated and highly misunderstood concerning what god wants or requires for the pips for the liturgy. mainly because the mass is about what God does, not us. so therefore, i wouldn't base any kind of summation or analogy on what pips do in the pews. it's what God does on the altar that really counts...

so what you (whoever you are) have observed, well, you are just reading the book by it's cover... nothing more. if you understood the mystery and signficance of the Mass, you'd be a Catholic in an instant... singing or not.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Francis-

For a musician, that seems a rather odd position to take.
    Clearly congregational singing isn't, itself, a goal.

But I have to assume that enthusiastic singing, like Good Works (see Paul), it is evidence of God's work in the lives of the worshipers, and of their engagement with that work.

Besides, I seem to recall that the Greatest Good is the Salvation of Souls. I assume that participation in the life of the Church is part of the mechanism by which people come to know and accept the Salvation effected at Calvary. While there are certainly many stoics, puritans, and sticks-in-the-mud out there in need of saving, I imagine there are also boatloads of people who don't have any interest in participating in the life of a congregation that sits in cough-punctuated silence or mumbles sadly through every song. (I wouldn't be able to take it, and I know better.)

And, since I *think* I know that there is rebuttal coming along the lines of "people ought to know better than to focus on how bored they are," I'll say this:
    To suggest that "people" with wrong ideas should just change their minds, absent strong effort on our part to meet them where they are and engage them in their language is akin to saying that instead of sending missionaries all over the world, the Jesuits should have just built an Oratory and waited for the pagans to figure it out and start coming to Mass like they ought to.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Really, there is absolutely no reason or requirement for singing at Mass.

It adorns the sacrifice when well done, but detracts otherwise.

While "participation" pops up as an ideal, all the little old ladies who said the Rosary during Mass are not banned to hell because they failed to "participate". Who is to say that their prayer was not the equal, or even more powerful, than that of the priest saying Mass?

• francis
    fnj

you said it

a single person praying one rosary during the Mass has significantly more spiritual hutzpa than a thousand voices singing some trite gathering song

however, the rosary will always be second to the mass in power and efficacy, but blessed be Our dear Lady, second it is and will always be.

adam

i am not as much a musician but moreso one who loves God and His Church. enthusiastic singing means nothing if you are singing for yourself, your own deluded sense of community or to the mountains. a pure heart can sing without even opening the lips. and many a saint does it daily without ever being known.

and btw, i can only thank my dear sisters 'so rudely called penguins' for the faith they have instilled in me.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre

• Preposterous Indeed!

Ok, friends. I'm getting a little tired of berating the pips. Hello?!? most of us ARE pips when we're not 'on duty'.

We have as much right to presume the motivations of fellow churchgoers as we do to force them to sing.

And even if, in some alternate universe, we were given the competency to read the hearts of our fellow Catholics, and weild error-free guilt-o-meters that revealed the level of fear in any given pew sitter, that would put us farther ahead in our own duties... how?

Please, stop downing, denigrating, and otherwise demeaning Catholic laity. We serve God through serving these people.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    and as a pip, i pray the rosary as an alternative to singing 'this little light of mine'
  • But where people go to fulfill a precept, the liturgies are uniformly dull and uninspiring.

I get what you're saying. Really. Folks attending Mass should want to be there. But if folks don't want to be there and they come, there's a greater chance of shaking them up than if they don't want to be there and they, therefore, don't come.

Besides, this seems to take a low view of sacramental grace. Feelings don't effect this objective grace. If you don't feel sinful but you are, go to confession anyway. If you don't feel like worshipping God, go to Mass anyway. This is another vital element worth considering.

This is, anyway, another situation easily described under the "either-or/both-and" rhetorical tool of Catholic apologists. EF-ers do go to Mass to fulfill a precept. These folks are the sort who memorize the precepts of the Church, you know, and are called "legalists" and "Pharisees" in many situations. It's true that they also go to worship God.

Folks should go to Mass to worship God, yes. This does not happen at the expense of precept but in conjunction with it.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Ruth Lapeyre
  • P.S. In fact, the precept enhances worship. When you don't feel like going to Mass but you do anyway, whether you notice it or not it is an event of grace. After the spiritual dry spells are over, gratitude overwhelms the active worshiper --- but only if he hasn't fallen away in the interim.

Precepts like this are a safety net, not "cement shoes." This precept keeps people in the pews when they don't feel like it so that they don't fall away completely. If it becomes "a hammock more than a safety net" then there's a problem, for sure. It does not solve this problem, though, to let the sheep into pasture when they're so raggedy a flock.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • "Pure terror of God?"
    Yup, that must be why there are so few Catholic mystics, martyrs, spiritual writers, vowed religious and dedicated laity serving their fellow man throughout the world, in every area, since the time of Christ. But people who don't observe an obligation to worship on Sundays are clearly superior, and have produced thousands upon thousands of remarkable human beings.

Seriously?

The writer seems to be unfamiliar with 98% of the Catholics I've known.

People writing ignorant, hostile crap like the bolded post above make me think conditions are ripe for Catholic persecution. May God strengthen us all in His love.
  • francis
    amen MCW
  • MACW, child o' my heart, the big WE of global Catholicism is already "in it." We in the west, particularly the US, should welcome any coming times of trial and persecution as we have tread water far too long while deciding whether to head for mammon or for redemption. As in to "redeem," to go "all in," to "cash out." The tract-speak writer does the HRCC a favor by challenging at once both our faith and our works. What we should be wary of are those among our own, whether on the right or the left, who would distract us from our worship and our missio with their politics and their rhetoric and their "self-evident" righteousness and smug surety. They play "parce" to divide, but not "parce Domine."
    Prayer ever vigilant, simple prayer in perseverance and, if so called, through pain. Find a saint who never had to dwell in pain. Not sure one can. God be praised if real persecution takes root and tries to choke the Living Vine in this land. Enough.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • I agree, the bolded post above is pretty rediculous.

And I have to say that I'm kind of offended by those that imply that only EF Mass attendees actually want to be there. Way to turn people off to the EF with an elitist attitude like that.

I play 3 OF Masses every week, said by 2 great "young" priests who follow the rules and are wonderful homilists. I find worthy hymns in the Breaking Bread and ignore the crap. I look out and see hundreds of all types of people, young and old, that WANT to be there.

My $.02...
  • "Please, stop downing, denigrating, and otherwise demeaning Catholic laity. We serve God through serving these people. "

Ok, you are absolutely right. So let's use the Spanish-speaking Catholics as an example instead. It is much easier to analyze and study a problem when you can stand back without injecting yourself into the mix.

Why do Spanish-speaking congregations have such poor music?

They are as catholic as any anglo congregation and are also not into the entire, "we're upper class, we drive SUV's" we are entitled." mess that drives so many parishes.

Lay out a plan to improve the music in the Spanish-speaking US congregations and then you have a plan that will worm its way into and work in the Anglo congregations.

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Thank you EAF!

"EF-ers do go to Mass to fulfill a precept. These folks are the sort who memorize the precepts of the Church, you know, and are called "legalists" and "Pharisees" in many situations. It's true that they also go to worship God."

Thank you EAF because I am tired of being called "rigid" or "rule oriented" or "fearful of God" (meaning in the bad way... because we should all of us fear God), because I attend an EF Mass every Sunday. I am also tired of being painted with a broad brush because I talk about my love for the Tridentine Mass. Why is it that when some on this board talk about us they only see legalists and Pharisees? I go to the Tridentine Mass first because I want to worship God, second because I love the music and the way the Mass is Celebrated at my parish and third because I have the opportunity to go. Most Catholics do not have the opportunity or even if they do, have no idea what they are missing.

"Catholics, for the most part, absolutely HATE being inside a church and are so fearful of God that they're afraid that if they dared to raise their voices in song that a thunderbolt is going to pierce the roof and strike them dead right on the spot!"

---Really!?

Why post such a mean spirited diatribe and then say:

"I add that my own personal belief is that the musical divide we see in the Catholic church is not people who like good music and people who like guitar music, but between "people who were terrorized about God by the Penguins in their childhoods" and new age easy-going there-is-no-such-thing-as-Hell catholics. If there were more Penguin-Fearers, we'd have better music."

I submit that if we had better education we would have better music because I have watched it happen repeatedly. Just because someone had a rotten experience with nuns in school does not mean they like or dislike good music, apples and oranges sir.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • WiesOrganista

And I have to say that I'm kind of offended by those that imply that only EF Mass attendees actually want to be there. Way to turn people off to the EF with an elitist attitude like that.

I know a woman who used to sing in our choir who was so upset that Father was going to have the Mass in which the choir sings a Tridentine Mass, she left. She stayed long enough to sing in about half a dozen Masses but she didn't like it, so she left and tried to convince other parishioners to do the same.

Only the uninformed "EF-ers" believe Catholics choose to go to the Mass of Paul VI because they are unfamiliar with the Mass of Pius V. My complaint, and I suspect the complaint of other "EF-ers" on this forum, is the vast majority of Catholics are never even given the opportunity to choose which Form they would prefer. Why? They are not given the opportunity because quite a few priests who were ordained before the mid-90s ridicule "EF-ers" to their own parishioners and their disdain for the EF is palpable, tantamount to, dare I say it, fear. If it is fear, it is a baseless fear. Catholics will choose the Form they prefer if given the opportunity.
  • chonakchonak
    EF supporters usually have to go to some inconvenience (due to distance or scheduling) to attend one, and I never see them leaving Mass before the dismissal.

So I think of them as committed Catholics who are doing more than the minimum required to comply with the precept.
  • So I think of them as committed Catholics who are doing more than the minimum required to comply with the precept.

The Angelus Press* hand missal has a nice bit about that, on pg. 97, in reference to the Eucharistic Fast, the original complete with a hilarious emphasis.

The minimum LEGAL requirement in force for the year of this missal's publication (2004) is set out here for your information; however, it must be remembered that the Catholic Faith requires far more than accomplishing the bare minimum.

Am I the only one who reads that and hears the voice of a tired, disappointed monsignor speaking to a group of too-clever-for-their-own-good high schoolers? Also, am I the only one who thinks of Office Space?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YClmS3umk

* (Yes, yes, I know. Until recently they were the only '62 game in town, and theirs is probably still the best-laid-out '62 missal.)
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • I want an Angelus Press Missal. I don't care anymore that they are Pius X, their Missal is just better. Their ribbons are better and the chants in the back have verticle episemas!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • I proposed that the obligation prevents this, but I really would rather propose that the "enemy" is the disengagement most Catholics feel from the parishes.

This is a better statement. Wish I had read all the way to the end the first time.

It is true Catholics are very often disengaged with their faith, and it seems a very wide problem. (No further distinctions needed.) This disengagement is a cause of grave scandal. This poor Christian witness prevents Protestants from even considering Catholicism, which is kind of a shorthand in some circles for "going through the motions" or "empty works," and so the faith, the true faith, becomes a punchline. In many cases, it's the stated excuse keeping folks from crossing the Tiber: "I could never be Catholic. They don't do _______."

So how to get Catholics involved with and knowledgeable about their faith? Well, there's one way --- evangelize. No better way to learn a thing than to teach it, under pressure.

(Empty plug for a great little evangelization project I'm helping a friend with.)
  • Because there are no clearcut rules for music for the OF it, unlike the EF, will forever be subject to the whims and taste of music people with no access to or no interest in understanding the liturgy...and its music.

The entire Catholic faith at this point is in the exact same situation. Without a clear understanding of the "rules" the obligation to attend Mass has suffered by the elimination of Meatless Fridays....the logic is simple:

If I ate meat on a friday up until XXXXX date, I was going to hell, or at least having to confess and do penance for my sinful act. But after that date I could eat meat on Friday.

Was there a sudden amnesty in hell for meat eaters that day, too?

This fine gentleman stuck with what he believed and even after his death reaffirmed his faith in the church and respect for its liturgy. That alone should turn some heads to thinking among the people who were there. Though they, like a savage seeing a lightbulb for the first time, might wonder, they also will think.

Many thanks for cross posting this.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • If rules are going to work, folks also need to want to follow them. (Including us.)
  • CharlesW
    Actually, if you look at the eastern churches, the early-times requirements were and are for no meat on Wednesdays and Fridays. Beside the point, however, since no one is threatened with hell over it. As Gavin has mentioned more than once, the problem is heavy-handed penalties for things that are not life/death issues. The current RC approach to meat on Friday is much more realistic and sensible, as it probably should have been all along. Giving up meat is not a penance for some, so they should do something else.

There are rules for the OF. The problem is that no one in authority is enforcing them. I don't see any connection between meatless Fridays and rules governing the liturgy. The two are not on the same level and don't have equal importance. Maybe putting them on the same level was the problem in the first place.

Btw - back to the original thread - I hear penguins have happy feet. ;-)
  • There are rules for the OF. The problem is that no one in authority is enforcing them.

Well --- the problem is that nobody is following them. All authority can practicably do is to tell people about the rule. We have to enforce it, under pain of conscience.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • DougS
    In addition, a big problem is that many people are ignorant of the rules.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Doug, I agree. And I contend that part of the reason many people are ignorant of the rules is because they are so very confusing. And they are so confusing because there are so many, too many *options*.

Without a hermeneutic of continuity, people don't know how to prioritize the options so they either go their own way because no one enforces anything or they do what everyone else is doing.

At this point in the Church, at least in the US, I'm convinced that 90% of liturgical abuse or odd choices are done out of ignorance.
  • CharlesW
    At this point in the Church, at least in the US, I'm convinced that 90% of liturgical abuse or odd choices are done out of ignorance.

No question, that is the case, including clergy and laity.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • DougS
    Mary Ann, although I basically agree with what you're saying, I don't think it's the number of options that poses a problem. After all, people make it through the grocery store just fine.

The bigger issue, as I see it, is that people don't understand the options that are given to them. Here the grocery store analogy is also good: even with excellent options, people still make bad choices when it comes to their eating.

So who gets the blame? The grocery store? The companies that create the bad products and use the grocery store as a platform for sales? The customers who don't know any better? The people whose job it is to inform the customer base about healthy choices?
  • While a grocery store exists for groceries, liturgical worship does not exist for liturgies. That there are options at so low a level as a parish detracts from the sense that there is something more important about the liturgy in a Mass than the liturgy.

First things should be instinctual and undisputed so we can move on to second things.
  • "Lord, to whom shall we go?"
    What I find ironic about where the discussion's going is that we're confusing our various roles by reacting to the ego driven assessment of Catholics from the quoted poster in a very predictable manner. "We're stupid, we're superstitious, we're cowering in fear...yada." And by and large, especially in the US, we comprise the most educated RC populace the Church has likely ever known. I would refer people to two books concerning the history and demographics of RC's in the US, AMERICAN CATHOLIC and A PEOPLE ADRIFT. Back to my point (and I do have one)-it is decidely NOT about knowing the rules. More likely, it is about willfully (a nod to MACW) IGNORING the rules in various manifest ways.
    The Music Wars, The Liturgy Wars, The Ecclesial Wars (Vox Clara, Curial stuff, HHS Church/State, LCWR etc.) are all predicated not upon Catholics unwilling to agree (which is still true) but upon Catholics unwilling to faithfully yield and follow divinely ordained authority. "All we like sheep" is not, for me, a discomfiting allusion. BUT, it presumes that at every strata of the faith community a worthy and true shepherd is known to all his sheep, and that relationship is complimentary. How many times did Our Lord give the author of my quoted passage above a "slapdown" before Peter finally got it? The shepherd has to know the "program" down to his DNA and then be willing to sacrifice his ego to lead and care for the integrity of his flock. And we will then follow. I'm absolutely convinced of this supreme principle.
    If we are to be disciplined people, we must first think, in free will, of what a disciple is called to follow. And in short order we should understand that ultimately we don't follow a what, we follow a who. I don't care if if you're a slave to quantum physics, musical composition, baseball or faith, a human is ultimately disciplined upon the work of other humans before him/her. No one is gifted with a pure abstract knowledge from on high that has no association with a person, or a personage.
    So, I personally think that these modern (and antiquated) "failures to launch" has everything to do with: a. the abrogation of pastoral responsibilities for whatever excuses by "clergy": and b. the misappropriation of those pastoral responsibilities (because of a perceived vacuum) by "the sheep."
    This is no way to run a church. (And I'm part of thte problem, presuming to so assess our faults.)
    To sum up- we all need to vigilantly prepare for our various roles as best we can with whom we can. Knowing Peter's learning curve is always a good reminder. YMMV.
  • Liam
    Sheep are delicious.
  • DougS
    E_A_, the options are inherent in the Mass itself. Why blame someone for exercising them?

And this is true: "That there are options at so low a level as a parish detracts from the sense that there is something more important about the liturgy in a Mass than the liturgy. "

That's something one would need to take up with the authors of the Mass.

• CharlesW
    Sheep are delicious.

Sorry, vegetarian here. I don't eat them, just bite them.

That's something one would need to take up with the authors of the Mass.

Unfortunately, I think the original authors are all dead.
  • Said the the Big Bad Canis Lupus Attorney who bore a striking resemblance to Al Pacino in "the Devil's Advocate."
    Just for kicks, imagine someone like Gloria Allred at the personal judgment.
    Unfortunately, I think the original authors are all dead. I wouldn't think so, CDub, just don't go havin' a seance to have a consultation! ;-)
    Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
  • DougS
    Exactly, CharlesW.

NL fans shouldn't get upset at AL managers for using a designated hitter instead of the pitcher--it's an integral part of the rules for the AL. And if it's the rule itself that's your beef, at least be honest about it.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, DougS. What get annoying, are those on the forum who respond to everything with, "The 1962 missal says..." Who cares? I don't. The 1959, or any other missal date you choose says something, too. It applied and was law until superceded by a later missal. The 1962 has a specific function with the celebration of the EF mass. It has no authority or bearing on any later missals and it's a real stretch of the imagination to imply that it does. If you attend EF masses, that missal means something to you and to others who are part of that mass. When I work with NO masses, I don't look to the 1962 missal for anything. It is irrelevant.
  • Hang on, there: "Irrelevant" overstates your case, good as it usually is, and by a broad margin. Do you really mean this?
  • DougS
    In your opinion, EA, in what precise ways is the 1962 missal relevant for the planning of an OF Mass?
  • Old comment, old comment, old thread, especially here and here.

1. St. Whirligig may be not be invoked for the sake of law; he must be invoked when discussing sacred principles. This is important because

2. Re-engaging these principles will help us implement the Novus Ordo well and widely, better than it ever could have been. Also,

3. That these principles are still valid must be assumed if we would read Vatican II with a hermeneutic of continuity, as the Holy Father wants.

Briefly, it is the essential principles of Christian worship which make the 1962 Missal relevant.

So far as the specific application to this situation, when planning any Mass, in this age of broken worship, the 1962 Missal is the last safe metric. Remember: At this point, we're trying to winnow out the errors and false implementations. That's what makes 1962 useful.