NPM Convention 2012 - A Review
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One doesn't have to be over-concerned with "respect" or "fitting in" (or whatever you're suggesting) to be glad that more and more (even if a tiny bit more and a tiny bit more) people are being exposed to Chant, traditional music generally, or to the resources of CMAA.

How exactly do you expect the gigantic mass of over-worked, under-informed, mostly part-time parish musicians to suddenly find out both what kind of music they ought to be doing and also how to do it?

They go to NPM precisely to find this sort of thing out. We should rejoice with exceeding great joy that some of them are being guided down a better path. And, considering that all the above-mentioned problems are really nothing new, those that don't happen into a chant workshop are probably no worse off then they were when they showed up- and they live to chant another day.
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • JennyH
    David Andrew is correct.

The CMAA exists for those who want to do things right.

End of story.
  • CharlesW
    Adam, just thinking out loud. I am glad the few are interested in what we do, but am hoping for the day when many more are with us. Not the case at NPM, yet.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    This is getting really sad.

NPM exists as an organization of church musicians. The "agenda" of the organization is the agenda of those who are in leadership positions. As I have watched the leadership change, I have watched the agenda change.

Now, Jennifer Paschual of St. Patrick's Cathedral and Cardinal DiNardo are on the executive board. And it's amazing how much LESS questionable practices there are at liturgies and how much LESS heretical sentiments there are. Like the Church itself, the NPM is a huge organization and any change in philosophy or praxis is going to be like trying to move a giant elephant. But it's been my observation that the elephant HAS moved substantially in the 9 years that I have observed, even if the elephant hasn't completely turned around yet.

No, David Andrew, it's not so much that they are "throwing us a bone." I've talked and chatted with some people of moderate influence at NPM, such as Cathedral directors, etc. who have had a voice in the planning of conventions. They have each voiced that they too wanted better offerings and more "serious" music. They have tried to use whatever influence they've had to get these things, and apparently it has worked to some degree. I suspect that a different group plans the plenum speakers. This group must have a certain "viewpoint." My hope is that over time, this too will change.
  • Hello David! I hope Wendi's passed on my salutation from SLC to you.
    A question: Why does there seem to exist among some on this board a breathlessly desperate desire to receive recognition or acceptance from the NPM?
    That's interesting, as I can't recall any evidence of such a desire, breathless, desperate or otherwise, ever surfacing. I suppose that proves the diversity of perception.
    For my part, my one note samba regarding a relationship with NPM has remained simple: a sort of public, live forum (I hesitate to say "summit" because I don't believe a panel should consist only of experts, no plebes, thank you) of at least these two "guilds." That's it. And the rationale? Simply to have a platform to clearly delineate the more necessary, cogent and defining principles that CMAA champions. Why? Because I believe such a message is so self-defined it overshadows the messenger, which would be organizational affiliation. I believe many hearts would be converted in light of truth. Hopeful enough of them that they'd make that effort to experience worship that heretofore they perceived as antithetical to their values and (frankly) prejudices.
    And we must not forget that all who visit or frequent this board are not necessarily posting as "representatives" of CMAA. I am not posting this posturing to be a "presence" of CMAA. That would be more the case over at PTB perhaps. But our leadership board accumulative IQ and their equally endowed Christian vision will ensure that CMAA will continue to attract "disciples and apostles" to "la causa," because what we advocate is simply counter-cultural.
    As long as CMAA's integrity and house is maintained (a no-brainer) there's no danger of being seduced and subsumed into the big tent circus maximus of heterodoxy.
    In the larger picture, my friend, there's also nothing suspicious about wanting to share our Christian witness to fellow Christians, and to work towards consensus, not compromise.
  • CharlesW
    PGA, sounds encouraging.
  • GavinGavin
    Call me crazy, call me a soft-headed liberal, call me an appeaser.

But I think Gregorian chant is a good thing.

Sorry to offend everyone with my strong opinion there.
  • WendiWendi
    I did pass on your salutations Charles.

I must confess to being a little puzzled. This is my perception perhaps, but it seems to me as though everyone is popping champagne corks because there was a nod in the direction of chant at the NPM convention. Until there are NO abuses at their liturgies instead of fewer, to my mind the celebration is premature.

Far more telling to me is the fact that they had ONE Mass for the entire length of the convention. Music aside, that one fact announces in loud clear tones what the focus of NPM is, and it's not the Mass which is the source and summit of our Christian life.

As usual YMMV.
  • CharlesW
    Call me crazy, call me a soft-headed liberal, call me an appeaser.

Gavin, a liberal? Never in a million years. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • marajoymarajoy
    ok, wait... so we aren't allowed to ever celebrate steps in the right direction? (We can only celebrate when something is absolutely totally finished and perfect?)
    um, ok.

ETA: I'm pretty sure that NObody on here is celebrating that NPM had a perfect liturgy, ha ha ha!
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Steps are good. Steps are very good.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Summertime-2-3-4-1-and the livin' is easy________Tongues are waggin' and the feistiness's high..... (Oops, that's no how it goes, nevermind.)

I had occasion to run into something via a litblog that I didn't see comin' ... a testimony from a Brazilian dentist who was struck by lightning, clinically dead and CONDEMNED, but was resuscitated to give witness. One image stuck in my head of that was her account of the pain upon the tongues of those being purged and damned because of the willful utterance that offends, and spreads the virus of sin indiscriminately, much to the satisfaction of the enemy's agenda and delight.
    Well, I think we all need a breath of late, a look in the mirror for objects in our eyes, and then lots of smiles and a group hug. I know, "That fat ol' windbag, there he goes tellin' us how to be good cat'lics again." But really, friends, we need, WE NEED to agreeably disagree without barbs and sniping. I don't know about anyone else, but I need my tongue (which because of my false pride will require much cleansing!) that one moment I may indeed "Gustate et videte" the goodness of the Lord in His presence.
    And if this doesn't help, just picture Samuel L. Jackson or Morgan Freeman glaring at us with that look!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Why does there seem to exist among some on this board a breathlessly desperate desire to receive recognition or acceptance from the NPM?

I haven't seen that. I have seen a breathlessly desperate desire that NPM members recognize and accept the Church's true music. And that seems to be slowly happening.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I might be the most talkative about trying to promote the CMAA to NPM folks and I think it is very exciting when the CMAA is mentioned at an NPM convention. Why? There were something like 1800 folks at NPM. Some of them have never heard Gregorian chant before and some of them think it's "out of fashion." Every single one of them that can be convinced that chant is worthwhile will go home and try to implement that in some capacity at their parishes. Imagine if just 10% of those going to an NPM convention were convinced of the merits of chant during the course of the week. That's 180 folks going home to regular, normal parishes and beginning to plant the seeds of sacred music.

In order to have a true sacred music movement, the action has to take place at mainstream, regular, average parishes as well as places where chant already flourishes.

How do you reach those mainstream folks? Well, many of them don't read about sacred music on the internet or take college courses. They work regular secular jobs and the only real time to reach them is at this convention they go to every year. The parish pays for part of their week and they go, get lots of free octavos, find out what Composer X has written this year, etc... Then they go back to their parishes, implement the new choral octavos and the newest song by Composer X is their gathering song for a few months.

Imagine if they stumbled into a booth run by someone who was offering LOTS of free music... and not just a single octavo, but music they could photocopy without worry... and this person, a very charming individual, told them that the church documents supported the use of this free music. They would be amazed. This charming fellow didn't even try to sell them anything! Or if things were for sale, at least they let them know that it was also available online for free. This individual might be so stunned by free music, talk of documents and the charm of the fellow at the booth that they would either faint or go make a difference...
  • WendiWendi
    Matthew I think it would make a tremendous difference. If such a booth is planned for next year's NPM...I hereby volunteer to go and help man said booth. I can be charming on occasion.

Marajoy I'm not saying we shouldn't be happy about progress. I just don't see progress.

This year's convention wasn't any different from what NPM conventions have always done, and I am puzzled as to what progress people are seeing that I evidently am missing. With the single exception of the chanted Introit, which I will cheerfully concede is a great first step in the right direction...maybe.

If on the other hand chant is presented as one equal choice among many, (as David stated was his concern) then I can't say as that makes me very optimistic about the attitude of the leadership at NPM towards sacred music in the Mass.

Since the reality is that NPM is the larger organization and has far greater resources at their command, the idea of the chanted Propers being lumped in with all the other "musical options" concerns me more than a little.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
    I guess my point has sort of been missed.

I don't care if everyone at NPM suddenly realizes that chant is preferred, that NPM presents it as "one choice," etc.

My point is that there are plenty of good offerings there for musicians such as us and we need not stay away. There is a lot of learning and enjoyment potential. We are not shunned.

Those were, really, my points.
  • GavinGavin
    PGA mentioned Fr. Raab, who has an article hosted here at Pray Tell Blog. It's worth a read to get more of an idea what his views are...
    Fr. Raab's keynote at NPM was alright, but I didn't find it "mind blowing" as Paul Inwood apparently did (from his remarks at Pray Tell)

Now, I'm sick of the general denigrating of the new texts - but - as you can probably tell, Fr. Raab comes from a very unique place. His insights are interesting.

I'm not so sure that there is an answer. The translations can't be based on those few unique communities such as Fr. Raab's. But it's interesting to hear his parish's reactions.

All in all, I will say that at NPM he didn't "hit us over the head" with an agenda, although a couple quick remarks here and there certainly gave evidence of where he was coming from. But he certainly wasn't Sr. Barbara Reid ...
  • PGA, I responded in the PTB thread that Fr. Raab's compelling "letter" essentially confuses the maxims of Liturgy to Missio, or more precisely Christ's answers to the pharisaical question of what He considered the greatest command. But I didn't, 'cause I'm in SF and my pad is misbehaving, make a single coherent response in just one combox. Rats.
  • CharlesW
    I read the article from Gavin's link. I don't know the gentleman and he may be a fine person. The thing that came to my mind, however, was something Pope Benedict said some time ago to seminarians about wanting priests, not social workers. Helping the poor is great and is something we are commanded to do. However, priests need to be priests first, not social workers who happen to be priests.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Odd article.
    So basically, he's saying we should never do or change anything b/c it might be difficult for someone?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    It seems to me that he's offering a description of his community's (mostly negative) response to the Missal. He never outright says "it's bad" or that it shouldn't have happened - BUT, given the venue, that's kind of the implied conclusion.

For me, the takeaway is that one needs to consider the unique situation of the community in approaching the liturgy. I think he could have done a much better job with his own, frankly. He speaks of the concept of "sin" being hurtful to those recovering from addictions or abuse. I'm by no means well-versed in psychotherapy, but I'm aware of no psychological interventions that require the patient to abandon any notion of moral self-accountability. I always thought most approaches were to teach the patient the difference between acts in their control and those outside their control. Perhaps if he would have preached with more clarity on sin, what it is and isn't, maybe his community wouldn't have these problems with the texts. Just one example.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • GavinGavin
    Another thing: Fr. Raab spoke of the need of his community for consistency. I agree, and think this extends MUCH farther than addicts and the poor. I wonder what Fr. would have said if he were around at the time of the liturgical reform. And I would not dare to speak for him, but I wonder what his thoughts are on priests who change texts at will, thus disrupting the liturgical continuity of such a community.

Some of the most comforting words for those in recovery are "hieratic", "traditional" , "elevated" language. At my last church, choir rehearsal was during the same time as, and across the hall from, several substance abuse recovery groups. You hear an AWFUL lot of "thee" and "thou" from those people. Not so much, "God, you are big. Make us big like you."
  • Jeffrey Quick
    choir rehearsal was during the same time as, and across the hall from, several substance abuse recovery groups.

Unfortunate timing, that.
  • GavinGavin
    We stayed out of each other's way, and they were generally friendly people if you ran into them before or after. The only awkwardness is when we'd have choir parties, complete with wine...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>unfortunate timing

because that meant they weren't able to join the choir?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • DougS
    Or because the choir members increasingly missed rehearsal due to "other obligations"?
    Thanked by 1Gavin