London/England - Churches and Choirs
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Beginning to plan for a trip to England, I would like to hear opinions on what churches/organization are must sees from a chant and choral music perspective. I am open to both OF and EF Mass and would like to hear parts of the office. I have little or no knowledge about were this might happen, but I have these three on the list to start 1) London/Brompton Oratory 2) Birmingham Oratory, and 3) Westminster Cathedral. Also I would like to hear some of the better choir schools preform sacred music, I guess that might be at Oxford?

Any help is appreciated.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I was most impressed with Brompton Oratory and St Etheldreda. The latter is a tiny parish, but with incredible music.
  • SalieriSalieri
    For Oxbridge Colleges with choir schools :

King's College and St. John's College, Cambridge (both sing Gregorian chant on a (near) daily basis, or so I hear) & Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford are good and pretty standard on the list of English choirs. (Anglican)

And if you're going to Westminster Cathedral you should also go to Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral. I'm sure there are also smaller parishes that have excellent music programs, too.

Don't forget to get some CD's while you're there!