• MairiMairi
    Where can I find a compilation of relatively simple postludes? I was just hired as the organist for my parish, and, while very excited, I'm not sure how I'm going to prepare a full-length piece of literature every week, at least to start out.

Thanks!
  • canadashcanadash
    I would not worry about having a small repertoire and having to repeat it every few Sundays until it develops. I'd rather hear repeats than butchery. Here are a couple of suggestions that give an array of music from various composers. Have fun!

Easy for manuals only:
    http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/music/series/keyboardseries/servicemusorgan/9780193372634.do

Easy for manuals and pedals:
    http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/music/series/keyboardseries/servicemusorgan/9780193372665.do
  • GavinGavin
    I say without shame that I have, in my early days, used this: http://www.lorenz.com/product.aspx?id=kk416

Usually Lorenz publishes some horrible music, but this collection has some gems well worth having. Ideally, you should move past that, but I even still use the occasional piece from such collections!

This is a constant stand-by: http://www.jwpepper.com/991521.item Preludes and postludes, but each one a great piece of literature and well worth playing.

Finally, a great Dutch organist once said to me when I asked about postludes, "Why not play a Prelude and Fugue of J.S. Bach?" I said that if I did so, I'd be out of postludes within a month! He told me that I shouldn't be afraid to repeat them - they are great music and it's a service to the congregation to hear it again and become familiar with it. So if you have one or two of those, don't be ashamed to repeat it every couple of months.
    Thanked by 1Mairi
  • On this subject, does anybody have any good postludes without pedals that I could use for a synthesizing keyboard? An organist friend of mine gave me some, but I'm playing them over and over and, frankly, am pretty tired of them. I also use some of them for preludes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, my keyboard is on the side of the altar and many people walk right by it, so anything I play needs to be easy enough to not have to concentrate too hard.
  • I would love to get my hands on the Twelve Gregorian Preludes by Kevin Allen, but I can't find them anywhere.
  • francis
    i always recomend the liber organi - centuries of some of the best contrapuntal organ music and it's all FREE!

there are ten volumes on imslp and you may be able to work up quite a repertoire without too much effort if you are somewhat skilled in manuals

http://imslp.org/wiki/Liber_organi_(Various)
  • Allan DAllan D

Here are some relatively simple pieces with little or no pedal that I've used for postludes, all available at IMSLP.org:

• John Stanley's organ voluntaries
    • Pachelbel's Magnificat fugues
    • Albrechtsberger's fugues
    • Music of the French classical organ school (Boyvin, Chaumont, Couperin, Dandrieu, de Grigny, Lebegue, Marchand, Raison), especially the pieces designated Plein jeu, Grand jeu, Dialogue, and Basse de Trompette. I will sometimes play two or three of these short pieces for a postlude, starting with the loudest and getting quieter as the church empties out, maybe ending with a Récit or Tierce en taille. (You really need to understand the proper registration to play this literature, though.)

In addition to the Liber organi, you might also want to check out Cantantibus organis.

• marajoymarajoy
    There's a book "Achtzig Choralvorspiele" published by Peters that has a bunch of German-ish stuff that's pretty easy and most of it can be done on manuals.
  • francis
    wow
    allan

great collection! thnx for the link!
  • Alan--thank you so very much. These will definitely get me started. God bless to you.
  • I agree with canadash, take your time, and do them right. Everyone starts somewhere. None of us just woke up one day, and immediately became Bach prodigies. The fact that your trying to become a great organist, makes you a professional one, verses the same ole bar and chorders, that don't want learn anything past Here I Am Lord.

Thanks to all for those very nice links! I might not have to buy any more postlude books for a while. :O)
  • GavinGavin
    I believe my 2nd link is the "Achtzig Choralvorspiele" that Mara recommends. In English, "The 80 Chorale Preludes". Again, fantastic settings by North German (and a bit of South German for diversity) Baroque composers.

And I'd encourage you (and many others on the forum) to NOT just throw your hands up and say "I'm not good at organ! I'm going to just stick with easy pieces and things I know!"

One thing I've been doing that has really paid off is setting repertoire goals for myself. I pick a piece of some difficulty that I'd like to learn for a Sunday a few months away, deciding by season or what I'd like to learn, and I dedicate those few months to learning the piece. It's very rewarding, you feel great when you finally play it, and you quickly will increase your skill. Select something similar to what you've learned in your lessons, give yourself lots of time (I took 3 months to really learn the Finale from Vierne's 1st Symphony), and enjoy the work!
  • Felicity
    Rev. Fr. Carlo Rossini compiled 7 volumes of the Liturgical Organist.
    These books each contain many preludes, interludes, and postludes in a variety of keys by a wide variety of composers; and, each volume is graded as to difficulty.

I purchased all 7 volumes when I was just beginning to play the organ and still consider them one of the best investments I have ever made.

Deo gratias!
    Thanked by 1Mairi
  • Felicity
    Another of my favorite books is Gregorian Album by Eugene Gigout.

Here is a sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8naecF-tWI

The complete work can be downloaded at:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Gregorian_Album_%28Gigout,_Eug%C3%A8ne%29

Deo gratias!
    Thanked by 2Mairi Andrew Motyka
  • Diane's arrangements are always fun
  • hartleymartin
    Even Bach's easier works can be a technical challenge!

Look at John Alcock's 8 organ voluntaries. Voluntary IV in C major is quite a lovely piece of music. It has a stately slow movement for diapason chorus and then a quicker section for trumpet/echo.

I also like to use the second half (quicker section) of Corrente Italiana by Cabanilles (Spanish, manuals only).

Take a look into English and Spanish Organ music. They are often for manuals only and are quite tuneful and beautiful.
    Thanked by 1Mairi
  • mahrt
    Having many years ago lost funding for an organist, I as a pianist took over playing a prelude and postlude, organ pieces without pedal. I do not like to play conventional piano repertoire, and I think the Well-Tempered Klavier does not serve well. I play several of Bach's Neumeister Chorales, some of which are not very difficult, and some of which are really beautiful. Similar choral settings by Johann Gottfried Walther, a contemporary of Bach, have been very useful. His collected organ works are available in a nice (but expensive) edition from Breitkopf & Härtel. Frescobaldi and Froberger are also very beautiful and suitable.
  • CharlesW
    I was surprised at the amount of Walther available on IMSLP. I like him, too.
  • Maybe you will find this collection helpful. There is more in the IMSLP website.
    Thanked by 1Mairi
  • rich_enough
    My standbys are The Church Organist (multiple volumes) published by Concordia, and Pachelbel's Organ Works published by Dover. The Pachelbel also available on IMSLP.
    Many of the anthologies from Oxford University Press are very useful as well, like the Old English Organ Music for Manuals series. They are not cheap, but well worth the price.
    Thanked by 1Mairi
  • Just stumbled upon this post. As a singer/choral conductor turned organist out of necessity, I'm always looking for more worthy organ rep that is also practical. I've been subscribing to an organ periodical through Wayne Leupold publications, which I've found most helpful. I've also purchased some of their historical organ collections including some of the Pachelbel. Didn't realize it was available for free download! I like the commentary from the published editions but they are rather pricey which is why it's taking so long to build a personal library. Question to those in the know: are the expensive published versions worth the extra money compared to say a budget print edition like Dover? And what about the IMSLP.org mentioned above. Are these editions accurate? Anything else in addition to those items mentioned above that would be worth adding to the list.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Accurate enough to play from for church, but I wouldn't use them for an academic recital!
  • I admire Rollin Smith's collection EASY ORGAN CLASSICS. It's rather misnamed, since most of the pieces are extremely obscure and very few of them could be called easy (though, by the same token, few are overwhelmingly difficult). Highlights from this collection - we're talking about pieces with either simple pedal parts or no pedal parts whatsoever - are Voix Humaine in the First Tone by Lambert Chaumont (died 1712), Chaconne in F Major by Louis Couperin, and Communion by Gounod (yes, the Gounod). All three works would serve as useful postludes, the Louis Couperin most of all.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would love to hear Dr. Mahrt play the organ.
  • R J Stove,

Thank you for mentioning Lambert Chaumont. It led me to his Pieces d'Orgue sur les 8 Tons (1695).

http://imslp.org/wiki/Pièces_d’orgue_sur_les_8_tons_(Chaumont,_Lambert)

Deo gratias!
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I have two books from Rollin Smith. Just picked up the Christmas book from that same series--for next year.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • francis
    hey, thanks felicity for putting the link up to the Chaumont... I downloaded ALL 96 pieces! These are quite cool!
  • Glorious Epiphany!!

Les Maitres Contemporains De L'Orgue, an 8 volume collection
    by L'Abbe Jos. Joubert, published beginning in 1912

http://quilisma-publications.info/Organ Music.html

Deo gratias!
  • jpal
    Not sure if this has already been posted, but I thought some folks might find this collection useful:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/30_Postludes_for_the_Organ_(Various)

If you are short on practice time and/or have already played the collected works of Guilmant, this might be your solution.

(Just in time for Lent, haha!)
    Thanked by 2R J Stove Felicity
  • I would also recommend the "Thirty-Five Miniatures", Op. 55 by Flor Peeters. Many can be used with or without pedal. I can think of 5 of them that make good postludes. All are modal in style, not difficult and 1-2 pages in length with "salt & pepper harmonies". Others from the collection are great for prelude, offertory or communion. They were originally published in 1945 by McLaughlin & Reilly and dedicated to Theodore Marier. When Summy-Birchard purchased M&R in 1969, they omitted the dedication. But if you happen to come across an old M&R edition, you'll find the dedication. Hope this is helpful.
  • Felicity
    The url (that I posted on January 6, 2013) for

Les Maitres Contemporains De L'Orgue, an 8 volume collection
    by L'Abbe Jos. Joubert, published beginning in 1912

no longer works. The collection is, however, available at

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/institutionalPublicationPublicView.action?institutionalItemId=4062

Deo gratias!
    Thanked by 2R J Stove CHGiffen
  • I wish my church organist would play some songs by Fredrik Sixten, Emma Lou Diemer, and Carl Rütti. Their songs are absolutely gorgeous. ~~kl
  • hartleymartin
    After my college examinations this week, I'll be putting together a collection of easy music suitable for use as postludes. Most of it is stuff that is readily available elsewhere, but there are a few more obscure pieces which are handy.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    You could also try "A Treasury of Organ Music for Manuals Only." This has some very approachable music in it and does not involve pedals. You can, of course add pedals if you want by playing the bass line if you think you can do it. One particular example of that is the first partita on "O Gott Du Frommer Gott," from the "Various Partitas on O Gott Du Frommer Gott" by J.S. Bach, which is in the collection I mentioned above. There are a couple of voluntaries in there, as well as one of the Italian elevations. One of my personal favorites in the collection is the "Recit Tendre Pour le Nasard" by Gaspard Corrette.

We all started where you are, so you've come to the right place for advice: I had personally never touched an organ until I was hired to teach music for a Catholic school...and play for the school Mass three times a week! The book mentioned above has helped me a lot with becoming more familiar with the instrument. I don't know how familiar you are with registration techniques, although I will assume you have at least a basic understanding. The book will give suggestions for some of the pieces, and no indication at all for others. You just have to experiment sometimes and know the characteristics of the national styles (French, German, etc.).

You can also try some of the chorales and magnificats of Buxtehude. The chorales in particular are not difficult to put together, although many of them involve alto clef in the left hand. One good one that isn't too difficult is "Danket Dem Herrn." I use this one from time to time at my church as well. In general, Buxtehude is probably the best composer for approachable yet engaging music.
  • hartleymartin
    JKF Fischer has some excellent stuff. I'm liking his Ricercars for various church seasons. I also learned one of his short toccata and fugues from "Ariadne Musica." In fact I studied the one in A minor as adapted as a piece when I was still studying piano (that was over 10 years ago... wow) Some time last year I found the original organ scores and have been playing from those ever since.