Mass of Thanksgiving for Beatification of JP II
  • JDE
    Here in our Diocese, the Bishop has asked every parish to hold a Mass of Thanksgiving in honor of the beatification of Bl. John Paul II. We are told the readings and other propers should come from the Common of Pastors (for a Pope). Here is the message we got from the Diocese:

The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has recently granted permission that during the year following the Beatification of John Paul II (that is until 1 May 2012) it will be possible to celebrate a Holy Mass of Thanksgiving in his honor. In an extremely rare decision as regards the reformed Liturgy, the Congregation has opted to grant to each ordinary the ability to permit one such Mass of Thanksgiving to be observed on any Sunday allowed by the Table of Liturgical Days.

Given that Advent, Christmas, Lent & Easter are privileged seasons, such a celebration should be observed in Ordinary Time. [The Bishop] has requested that parishes consider celebrating this Mass of Thanksgiving in honor of Blessed John Paul II on Sunday, October 16, 2011, which will be the 33rd anniversary of his election to the Papacy.

For the Mass, besides singing the Gloria, as would occur on any Sunday in Ordinary Time, a proper Collect has been composed. The Preface (Pastors) and the Antiphons are to be taken from the Common of Pastors: For a Pope. The First Reading, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Gospel MAY be taken from the Common of Pastors, but do not have to be. Note that if this option is exercised the Second Reading for the 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time (1 Thessalonians 1:1-5b) remains the same. Selection of the Readings from the Common of Pastors is OPTIONAL and the normal Readings of the 29th Sunday of the year may also be used.

The Proper Collect and other euchological (prayer text) recommendations, options for Mass Lessons, and the hagiographical Reading of Blessed John Paul II for the Office of Readings in the Liturgy of the Hours may all be downloaded from the website of the Office of Divine Worship here.

The Graduale Romanum says the Introit may be:
    1. Sacerdotes Dei (vi), p. 447
    2. Sacerdotes eius (ii), p. 448
    3. Sacerdotes tui (iii), p. 485

Graduals:
    1. Ecce Sacerdos magnus (v), p. 486
    2. Inveni David (i), p. 445
    3. Iuravit Dominus (iii), p. 486
    4. Sacerdotes eius induam (i), p. 488

Alleluias:
    1. Disposui testamentum (ii), p. 489
    2. Hic est Sacerdos (ii), p. 449
    3. Inveni David (i), p. 446
    4. Iuravit Dominus (i), p. 489
    5. Memento Domine (v), p. 490
    6. Tu es sacerdos (viii), p. 449

Offertoria:
    1. Inveni David (viii), p. 447
    2. Veritas mea (ii), p. 483

Communions:
    1. Beatus servus (iii), p. 491
    2. Fidelis servus (vii), p. 491
    3. Semel iuravi (iv), p. 492
    4. Signa (vii), p. 437

Does anyone know any really approachable choral or solo settings of any of these? I'm thinking I will get the men's schola to sing the Alleluia "Hic est Sacerdos" because it seems the most straightforward of the lot.
  • JDE
    So seriously no one knows any settings of these? I am coming up empty on CPDL for anything other than "Iuravit Dominus" or "Ecce Sacerdos Magnus."

Bumping for attention.
  • My CPDL search for Inveni David comes up with three settings, by Aiblinger, Palestrina & Bruckner. Google (with -Bruckner) brings up Witt as well as anonymous settings in the Cantus database. U. Florida is worth checking as well.

If you dig up more, please consider creating a category page along these lines.