Introducing the new missal
  • Like many Catholics who lead busy lives, I don’t have the time needed to acquire an in-depth grasp of all the issues surrounding the new missal translation. I do skim the commentary of select websites to get the gist of legitimate criticisms, but I need more than isolated examples to condemn an entire enterprise.

I was eager therefore to attend my archdiocese’s presentation on the new translation, the first of many scheduled, held last week at a parish in a suburb west of Boston. The presenters were Fr. Brian Mahoney, a parish pastor and instructor of liturgy at St. John’s Seminary, and Fr. Jonathan Gaspar, secretary to Cardinal O’Malley and director of the Office for Divine Worship. Both are young, bright, engaging, and not the least bit dismissive of criticism being levied against the new translation; they just happen to believe that when all is said and done, the good far outweighs the bad. They seem to be the right guys to front such a potentially divisive issue.

Perhaps because it was St. Patrick’s Day - and remember we’re talking Boston - only twenty people showed up, suggesting as well there just isn’t a lot of interest at this stage of the game. (I’m told an earlier independent presentation at the Paulist Center in downtown Boston by WLP’s Jerry Galipeau attracted a much larger turnout.)

During the first half, Fr. Mahoney addressed the history of our current translation and gave reasons why it is now inadequate. He stressed that at the time of the implementation of the vernacular liturgy most Catholics were unfamiliar with the scriptural references of the original Latin prayers so much was deleted in order to insure immediate understanding. After nearly a half-century of exposure to Scripture, however, that rationale no longer seems justified. As examples, Mahoney compared the currently used and forthcoming translations of two ancient (pre-Tridentine) Advent collects. The reception among attendees was mixed. While some felt the new translations were richer in meaning and more poetic, others questioned the wisdom of employing complex language in the modern era. (My wife, ever the English teacher, gave a spirited defense of the subordinate clause as a tool to aid comprehension, but I’m not sure she won over the skeptics.)

During the second half Fr. Gaspar dealt with the practicalities of implementation and I’ll only relay what he had to say about music. Most importantly, he recommended that parishes not invest in expensive musical resources for at least a year or two since it will take that long to determine the best of the new Mass settings. He added that since the new missal will have music in it those chants should be learned first! To demonstrate, he sang the third memorial acclamation and then had everyone repeat it. They nailed it on the first try.

Whether Gaspar’s advice about the missal chants will be heeded is another matter. Most parish personnel have unconsciously come to accept the major music publishers as official entities and thus will be swayed by marketing already underway. I am also concerned whether our diocesan priests, whose median age approaches that of retirement, will demonstrate the enthusiasm and change of habit the implementation requires. To win people over, these new translations need to be prayed with conviction.

Despite these reservations, I left the meeting feeling optimistic, if for no other reason than that people will be required to examine anew the meaning of what they say and do at Mass. But like many, I am still apprehensive about the implementation and reception of the new missal. As events unfold during these next six months, it would be instructive if CMAA members report what is happening in their locales – not so much what one thinks “should” happen (why preach to the choir?), but what actually is taking place.
  • mlabelle
    "Most importantly, he recommended that parishes not invest in expensive musical resources for at least a year or two since it will take that long to determine the best of the new Mass settings."

Point well taken. My grandfather wouldn't let my mother and her siblings take penicillin until it had been on the market for at least a decade.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I sort of disagree about buying permanent hymnals. I'm planning on using the better mass settings that we already use that have been revised plus the ICEL chants. People's Mass, Christian Unity Mass, Mass for the City ... these are all good settings and it won't take me a few years to decide to keep using them.
  • DougS
    PGA, you know your congregation better than I, but we are introducing a single newly composed setting (TBD) in order to get the congregation accustomed to the textual changes. Once they have become ingrained, we hope that going back to revised settings will be a seamless transition without the fits and starts of piecing together the new text with "older" music that they have been singing for years.
  • francis
    Doug

That is a good strategy. Will be harder to give them old wine skins (music) with new wine (text) than giving them new wine with new skins right from the get go.
  • JDE
    We are planning to teach the chants from the Missal before they are released. I think those should be the starting point for everything. We have never, as far as I know, used the ones from the current Sacramentary. I'm working on an accompanied edition of those chants to start with because I think the organ can help support the melody while the people are learning the new music.

After that we can move into other composed settings. I may even write one myself to make up for the pianofied versions I have written in the past. Kind of like Gounod writing the Clovis Mass, maybe as a counterbalance to the St Cecilia Mass. Even if the motive was a commission rather than amends, the Clovis Mass is a lot more like Sacred Music than the other.
  • Kathy
    "pianofied" lol
  • JDE
    Kathy,

you have no idea. I like to think of it as "Fakemaninoff."

Attached is the Holy, Holy from a Mass setting I wrote in 1997 for the 50th Anniversary celebration of a retired pastor. One could sort of picture the constant (OCD-ish) motion in the right hand as a reflection of the wings in Isaiah's passage about the Seraphim. The picture here isn't really complete without the treacly string parts, but there you go.
  • JDE
    You are all really kind. I was expecting to get flayed for my "Fakemaninoff" Mass movement up there. Maybe if I posted a recording it would generate more interest . . .
  • Actually, I admire you for being willing to post this...there are things i wrote as useful music that I hope never come to the surface.
  • JDE
    I should post a thread called "Mea culpa" for airing this kind of thing.
  • francis
    JDE

If you have been around the block a few times (if you are at least 50) then you most likely have composed things that you never want to see the light of day.