Spanish Hymnals with More Traditional Music
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Next step would be Abel Marco getting a US-compatible PDF generator...
    Well, a few years ago, Abel di Marco embedded "sound" in virtually all his PDFs. Clicking on the red "Escuchar" under the title of a score initiates the playing of a sound file ... which is why his PDFs are so huge in file size and take so long to download.
  • chonakchonak
    To answer Fr. K's question: one Spanish version over 100 years old is "Te alabamos, O gran Dios" by the German-born Protestant missionary Federico Fliedner (d. 1901). Here's an image of an arrangement, from the 1973 Himnario Metodista (Nashville):
    542 x 757 - 166K
  • ronkrisman
    Thanks, Chonak. I was unaware of the setting in your attachment.

I'm curious why you say that the translation is by Federico Fleidner, since the page you supplied says the translation is anonymous.

You probably also noticed that the text is not a translation of the English-language "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name." One of the principles for the hymnody in Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song is that the Spanish and English texts match each other as closely as possible.
  • Hello everyone, I live in Mexico, we don't have traditional use of hymnals but, we still use the «Cantoral Litúrgico Dominical» from Spain recently know as (Cantoral de Misa Dominical), and now we have several books that are being edited and printed here (in a very rudimentary manner) with the name «Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional».

There's also one called «Escucha Señor Nuestro Canto» Sadly without accompaniment (only chords) and with some non-liturgical music.

We also use some translations of Hymns like:

1641 x 2821 - 526K
    1748 x 2479 - 317K
    1748 x 2479 - 274K
  • vansensei
    I think I have an idea why so much folky, 6/8 guitar music is used in Spanish Mass.

Coming from someone who speaks it fairly well (but am in no way fluent) and grew up Latino (parents are Dominican), Standard Spanish needs a lot of syllables to convey a meaning compared to English or Latin, especially in song. (Certain dialects can mask it fairly well by cutting off endings in speech, however) It's kind of hard to convey in 4/4.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • benedictgal
    The problem is that Mexico has never really had a home-grown standard of sacred music that is of the caliber of the Germans and English.

The solution is not to have hymnals that feature more of the same with 700 songs. We need maybe 150 songs (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Feasts and Ordinary Time) that are solid and sacred, music that conforms to what SC 42 envisions, as opposed to the very low bar set by OCP and GIA.
  • benedictgal
    Fernando, what is the translation of the hymns you posted?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The problem is that Mexico has never really had a home-grown standard of sacred music that is of the caliber of the Germans and English.

I know this reflects your own experience, but remember that the plural of anecdote is not data.

What would an alien musicologist assume about the English/American sacred music tradition based on visiting the average English-speaking Roman Catholic Mass in the U.S.?
  • benedictgal
    Adam, have you ever been to Mass in Mexico? I have and it has been a trying experience. Furthermore, priest friends of mine who have been in the interior of Mexico have come to the same conclusion. One, in particular, has celebrated Mass in Monterrey, Mexico City and Michoacán. The results are the same.

By English, I mean England.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    By English, I mean England Anglican.
    fixed.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ghmus7
    (Cantoral de Misa Dominical),
    $608.00 !!!!!!
  • That's in pesos...
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ghmus7
    Oh, thank you. I guess I just showed my ignorance of culture.....
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I want to thank Matthew Merz (see first page of this thread) for a review copy of Oramos cantando. When I've had a chance to look I'll post on the first impressions thread.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • benedictgal
    I will also be writing my review of the same book. Someone lent it to me. She was hopeful that her parish could use it, but, now she is not so sure. She, too, questions why GIA took the bad stuff from OCP for the book. Surely they could have used better resources and more traditional pieces.

We both agree that it is better to have less, more sacred hymnody than more of the same slipshod music. They would have been better off using the Propers. This, to me, is not keeping with Cardinal George's liturgical legacy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    If you take a trip to the USA, you will find that just about every church contains a pipe organ and is often used to accompany polyphonic choirs.

Somehow the quote with MEXICO above has disappeared...and I had written America instead of USA, which irritates Canadians...and those south of the USA but not in South America.