"Personal Style Does Not Inspire"
  • Dear Folks,

I would like to seek some feedback on my recent job review whereby under the category of Leads by Example I received a comment of "personal styles does not inspire." This is incredible considering I have been at the parish for more than six years and have had to endure a major shift in music from ultra contemporary to decidedly traditional Roman Catholic music almost over night at the behest of the pastor. The choir has been run through the shredder by previous music directors whose charismatic personalities resulted in mass exoduses with the music director. I have taken deep concern and care over the choir and the music program and rebuilding from the aftermass. I have set many goals over six years to bring the music program to the highest possible level I can. I use almost exclusively plainsong, polyphony, and the organ, which the priests desire. Despite the tireless efforts and countless hours of devotion, I receive a review after four years from the last one that I do not inspire and that my choir recruitment efforts have been "disappointing." Wow, I am totally shocked. The choir is growing, but given their very nasty history, it is growing slowly as the parish heals. I admit I consider myself an introvert, but I put myself out before the parish in a committed and deeply pastoral manner. What advice can you suggest for being a more inspiring leader. Are we supposed to be exclusively inspiring? I would love to hear your stories and advice, too.

Thank you,
    Bob Grant
    Costa Mesa, CA
  • As a young man and a student I was always far more inspired by the gifts, knowledge and sensitivity to heritage of those in teaching and leadership positions than by any sort of 'style' and affected behaviour on their part. I still am. Those who have to act this way or that, or be in some way entertaining or 'inspiring' are usually rather shallow and lacking in any depth of knowledge or love of subject and, thus, feel that they have to put on a show. Ditto those who expect to be entertained rather than taught. This is insulting. If you are doing your best with a love of your gift and your people, that in itself is inspiring and you should not be overly concerned with 'style'. It sounds as though you do have an enviable position (not to mention enviable expectations) with respect to your priests. Perhaps if you shared this concern with them they might have some constructive advice - unlike the demoralising and unkind remark you quoted above.
  • Mr. Osborn, thank you for your wisdom and encouraging words ... because I am expected to respond to my review, your words will help me to think how I can approach the Father with my concern. Again, thank you, Bob
  • Since you describe yourself as an introvert I suspect you are interpreting “style” as a criticism of personality. (As a fellow introvert, that’s how I would read it.) Because the word “style” is so ambiguous I think you have the right to ask for clarification.

Some see extroversion as dynamic and engaging but it can sometimes mask an absence of depth. Competence, efficiency, clarity of vision, and thoughtfulness toward others are hallmarks of good leadership that can be carried out in a quiet manner.

One final point which I hope is some consolation. In an age when church attendance is in such decline, choir “growth” cannot be the primary factor in evaluating successful job performance. At least here in the northeast, music directors of all denominations struggle to maintain the level of personnel required for functioning programs.
  • The choir is growing; is the parish? If no, then you are already triumphing over a disadvantage. If the parish is growing, could this be in part because of the music program?
  • These kinds of comments are annoying but the best response is to accept it lightly and in good humor and move on. The rest of the world has no idea just how sensitive musicians are to criticism.
  • Liam
    Charisma is a crutch, and communities that rely on it eventually have to go through withdrawal.

That said, it would be good to get more specific feedback, because the comment is too vague and equivocal. What would "a personal style" that "inspires" look like? How is it measured - positively and negatively (that is - by what is present, and what is not)? Who is measuring it other than the pastor and when (that is, is there a primacy bias - whereby first impressions linger longer than is justified - or a recency bias, whereby a recent event or non-event distorts a longer view)?
  • Kathy
    I agree with Liam. I would ask that expectations be spelled out in measurable goals.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think you should read the way I assumed it was meant before I read the context.... as a useful maxim to remember:
    Personal style does not inspire.
  • eft94530eft94530
    In the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)" the economics teacher (Ben Stein)
    has a personal style that does not inspire.

What are other example datapoints on the continuum between "none" and "lots"
    against which we might compare ourselves?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'd definitely look for suggestions from the priest as to what you can DO or TRY which might give the results he's looking for. I agree that vague statements aren't especially helpful, and us introverts can tend to take them in and let them eat like acid. Get it back to observable behaviors and the likely results.

I have to say, I'm glad I don't have to be a priest or director of music. 98% of the people who are happy will say nothing, and the 2% complainers become very vocal. As a recipient of that feedback, it feels like nothing's going right even though most people are quite happy. You have to develop a thick hide (which can be interpreted as arrogance) to let the criticisms slide off.

Having given many evaluations over the years, I understand your priest's need to try to give some (hopefully) constructive criticism along with the praise. It's important to give employees something that they can work on and improve. So if that was the most negative thing on your evaluation, I'd say it sounds like you're doing pretty darned good. When your boss can't think of anything specific to recommend and has to resort to broader statements, that may be a good sign.

But I don't think priests are trained on how to manage employees and give evaluations; I've seen some startlingly bad examples.

Carl