Rich Spotts, Organist: Apostle of Charles Tournemire
  • We were extremely fortunate to host international concert organist Rich Spotts, from Doylestown, PA last night at Saint Peter's in Columbia, South Carolina, where he played selections from "L'Orgue Mystique" relating to the Lord's Incarnation. He showed a deep understanding of the chants used, even providing his own programs with chant incipits and translations and beautifully detailed notes. Frequently heard composers such as Duruflé, Peeters, Messiaen, and their respective progeny in Europe and America, owe much of their influence in style to Tournemire. Mr. Spotts has a keen sense of registration, and I was absolutely amazed at the sounds he coaxed from our 38 Peragallo: after five years of four Masses a weekend and hosting numerous programs, you'd think I'd heard it all by now. I can't say enough good things about the concert, and would gladly recommend him to any church or collegiate setting that is looking for musical revelations on one of history's great "chant masters," as seen through the lens of the King of Instruments. ‎Rich Spotts is to Charles Tournemire as Saint Paul was to Christ: spreading his gospel in a most compelling way. You don't realize how seminal Tournemire's style is until you're immersed in it for a full recital. You then realize how extraordinary his legacy is in the musical world, and wonder where we'd be without it. Bravissimo, Maestro Spotts: faithful apostle and preacher.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, he is definitely one of the apostles. Had planned to drive over to hear it but the car decided otherwise. I am happy for Rich.
  • BruceL
    Now Mark: your next job is to get the Parisian publishing houses to half the prices on those L'Orgue Mystique scores!

Sounds like it was a great project: a real shame that we don't hear more of his beautiful music.
  • BruceL:

Try this and have fun! http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Tournemire,_Charles
  • BruceL
    Mark, thanks! I had heard about this (but forgotten)...

Plus, isn't this questionable legal status nowadays? Not that I'm too worried some Frenchman is going to come find me in the Midwest for copying organ music!
  • kevinfkevinf
    Bruce et al,

When I was in Paris last Sept, i spoke to several organists about the question of the imslp availability of the Tournemire scores. They said that since the scores were legally available in France from this site and the publisher knew it and was not bothered, the looked at me and said "what is stopping you?"

One experience for you.

Jouez!