Revised edition of the Chant Abrégés
  • It arrived in the mail yesterday: Graduels, Versets de L'Alleluia et Traits. Published by Desclée et Cie (1955). No. 689. Compare to Chants Abrégés des Graduels, des Alleluias et des Traits published by Desclée et Cie (ca. 1930), also No. 689.

A cursory review suggests the 1955 abreviations retain the Alleluia jubilus from the Graduale Romanum and present the remainder of the chants in conventional psalm tones. The original Chants Abrégés incorporated sometimes inartful reductions of the jubilus and more creative simplifications of the other chants.

Here is a scan of the 1st half dozen pages.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    TRULY AMAZING!!!!
  • huh? this is beyond belief.
  • Chrism
    Wow.
  • Yeah! Thanks for the info.
  • This is very exciting ... because I have not kept up recently, will this be something to be come available as a PDF, i.e., the 1950 edition? Thanks, Bob Grant
  • This would be incredibly useful to have. I use the Abreges with my high schoolers but its true sometimes we are scratching our heads at the Alleluias...
  • Bump. Any word on this?
  • dvalerio
    From the sample provided it seems the contents are similar to those of the Appendix of the Liber Brevior, save that the latter does not include all Masses (only those in the Liber Usualis).
  • i would love to see this online....
  • Yes, if the PDF version of the 1955 ed. Chants Abreges comes out it would be a wonderful jewel ... how can we help encourage its access?

Thanks,
    Bob Grant
    Costa Mesa CA
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I agree, this needs to be scanned and uploaded. What do we need to do to make it happen?
  • I think dvalerio is correct that the Liber Brevior, with slightly different engraving, has the same versions of the simplified propers for Sundays and major feast days in an appendix. But I will arrange with Jeffrey to have a scan posted.

The main point of the original post was that Desclee published this revised ed. of their publication No. 689 which suggests that there may have been some unhappiness with the original version.
  • Fantastic, I will look forward to the scan when it is posted. Blessings, Bob
  • Very shortly, Jeffrey should have this book posted.