Salary: How much do YOU get paid? How much should you?
  • Interesting that there's very little discussion of job descriptions. They vary so widely that the pay will vary, too. I am playing in a very small Episcopal Church in Portland, Oregon. The cost of living here is rather high! My duties are: select the hymns (four per Sunday), select the music for the Ordinary according to Liturgical Season (three items per Sunday), prepare a prelude, communion voluntary, and a postlude. I play approximately 48 services in the year. I am payed $150.00 for each service. No choir. I think this is fair: based on 40 years experience!
  • As Ghmus7 says, "When all is said and done, we complain, but this country is the best for church music employment." A while back, I found a list of those nations - apart from post-NAFTA Canada and Mexico - whose citizens enjoy more or less unimpeded employment rights in the States (across all sectors, of course, not music alone). The countries concerned were:

Bahamas
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Federated States of Micronesia
    Guam
    Marshall Islands
    Palau
    Turks and Caicos Islands

Makes me wish, not for the first time, that I'd chosen my ancestors more effectively.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I've been hesitant to jump into this conversation, for various reasons, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

I worked for a long time as an organist making a completely un-livable per-service fee, and supported myself with all sorts of non-musical odds and ends jobs. One job ago, I made $5,000 as a 20 hours per week music director. Historically, I worked about 75% of the time in Protestant churches, because per-service they have paid about twice as much as Catholic churches. This always bothered me, but the economics were clear.

About 2 years ago, I realized something. Being underpaid means you are not given the time to grow your skills, to practice, to really invest in the art of sacred music. Not to mention, being underpaid has an effect on your attitude. It is hard to want to revitalize and renew a music program, when the pastor doesn't care enough to pay you more than minimum wage. Wherever I worked, I came in and performed my job... and that was (usually) the end of it. I never saw, or was given the opportunity, to create real growth, like a church transforming over 5 years into a vibrant music program. It was just a fight, week-to-week, to turn something mediocre into something hopefully good.

So 2 years ago, I looked back on my life's work and saw 15 years of....mostly the same. Small successes here and there (a great Christmas concert!), and 51 weeks a year of roughly okay music...but never anything truly great, despite untold efforts.

Out there today, every single person in a pew is subjected to perpetual media: TV ads with thumping music, the radio with singles whose harmonies and balance were perfected by powerful software which costs more than most church's 3 year budgets, their personal music collection, streaming Taylor Swift on Spotify (well, not anymore). People expect at a bare minimum INCREDIBLY fine-tuned music. I mean, that's just the basics.

If music is to change hearts and minds, to proclaim Scripture with incredible beauty, it does it this day and age in competition with the listener's inner ear. Modern Americans IGNORE more music in a week, than a human one century ago heard in a year.

2 years ago, I realized that to effect any real, lasting change, to not just fight every week, but to GROW every week, I had to demand the resources and salary necessary to invest myself in the long, arduous, and incredibly rewarding process of renewing sacred music at a parish.

I quit my underpaid job. I committed to never applying for any job that offered less than the AGO standards. I searched in the 48 states for jobs of all denominations, but especially looking for Catholic parishes. It took me 12 months to find a place that:

1) paid AGO scale
    2) had a pastor who really loved sacred music
    3) the pastor wanted to invest in a vision of sacred music
    4) was a Catholic church

It was a painful search process, and very depressing (I can't tell you how many interviews I had where a search committee recruited me hard, told me all sorts of wonderful things, and then told me they pay something like $4,000 a year for 40 hours a week).

From all sorts of perspectives (your individual energy resources, economics, family, pastoral support, a semblance of life balance), there is just no other way to make real beauty than a basic salary. You can keep maintaining the old jalopy, and replace the tire only when it falls off, and 20 years from now, still be stuck with a crappy car....OR. You can invest in a vision, take out the engine, clean every spare part, work them together again carefully, and build a beautiful new future.

So to answer the question:
    I get paid on AGO scale.
    And that's how much I should get paid.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've said it before. I'll say it again.

If I could show up to one weekly rehearsal and one Sunday Mass, sing propers from the Lumen Christi series, and lead one or two unaccompanied SATB hymns, embellished from time to time with Gregorian originals and a motet a few times a year, leading a small choir of sincere amateurs, with no drama from parish leadership, I would do that job for free.

And I bet I'm not the only one.

For 99% of parishes, implementing the above-described program would be a gigantic improvement over what they are currently doing.

Money is not what is stopping most parishes from having a very good liturgical music program.
  • canadashcanadash
    Adam, that is pretty much what I do. I love it. But I do get a salary.
  • Adam: I was in just the situation you describe. I was able to do it for two years and then couldn't do it anymore. My life situation still required me to maintain a full-time job, and I found that after two years working full time, maintaining a home, a retaining all the responsibilities that go with being the head of a family, I could no longer commit to running the music program at this church, which was a really good situation aside from the pay.

We all like to think that we are doing this for the Lord and not for money, but the truth is we do have financial needs while we are here, and if the church doesn't pay us a living wage, we will have to earn that wage somewhere else. And if we have a family, that will require a significant part of our time as well. Running a music program at a church will keep us pretty busy. I was only able to keep up that pace for two years (yes, I only had to do one Sunday Mass and only one rehearsal for each). Perhaps other people have more stamina than I have. Good for them. But I don't think it is something that can be reasonably expected of everyone.

I was asked if I would consider coming back. I had to tell them that I simply couldn't consider it until I was able to retire from my paid employment.

There was a discussion in Liturgy Committee once about why we should pay musicians and not ushers, lectors, etc. I asked why we should pay priests. Shouldn't they be doing what they do out of love for God? Of course, but if we didn't pay them, they would have to find other employment and they wouldn't have the time to fulfill their duties as priests properly. Once people realize that musicians don't just show up and play at the Mass they were going to attend anyway, they start to see the point.

I know a number of volunteers who do an admirable job in church music. Most of them are retired, independently wealthy, or have spouses who support their families.

And then there is the issue that those who work for free or cheap make it difficult for their colleagues to earn a living wage.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Until I moved to CA recently, I was the Music Director at a small Episcopal parish with only one service on Sunday. I was paid, but that wasn't really relevant. I had a full time job. The extra money was kinda nice, but it was hardly the difference between making a living and not.
    The program I described above would have cut my church-music work load in half.

Every situation is different. Working for free (or cheap) for a parish hat truly can't afford someone is very different than working for a parish that simply doesn't want to pay. Or a parish that could have one full time person running a program but decides to have a different part-timer at each of 6 weekend masses. Or thinks that a single part-timer should be able to do music at 6 weekend masses. Or doesn't understand why a a single person ought to be in chrage of all the music at a parish.

I'm not saying church musicians shouldn't get paid. I'm saying that money isn't the primary reason churches don't have excellent music programs.
    Thanked by 1Torculus
  • And on that point I certainly agree. A few years ago I was visiting my folks in the town where I grew up. I went to Mass at the church of my childhood. I was treated to a full Broadway-style production of OCP favorites. The music overwhelmed everything else.

The musicians were clearly professional. They were putting plenty of money into that program. It appears the musicians were paid well to do inappropriate music. Sometimes more money not only doesn't help; it makes things worse.

• Torculus observes: "And then there is the issue that those who work for free or cheap make it difficult for their colleagues to earn a living wage."

Touché.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I have thought that those who work for free often sabotage their colleagues. Oh, I am sure their intentions are good, but they do damage to all of us without realizing it. Where do you think priests got the idea that they shouldn't pay musicians? Probably from dear old Aunt Betsy who is doing it all for the glory of God.
  • I have a colleague who calls every so often when he needs a violin for his trio. He called a while back asking if I would play for free at a local high-end restaurant. A $100 dinner was "payment". It's a nice place but I had to decline the offer. My friend who has two performance degrees and many years of experience as a jazz violinist called to schedule a gig at this restaurant and the owner balked at having to pay the musicians-no doubt because our dear colleague had been playing there for free for a while. This person single-handedly ruined what could and should have been a lucrative opportunity for several people. Very frustrating.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Churches are not restaurants. Your "colleague" is a sucker.
  • I'm quite aware of both of those things, Adam. Sigh...
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Depends on the restaurant. I would play an hour or two of French literature and improvisations if it meant Adam Wood and I could dine at the French Laundry for free.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • The place does alright but it's actually a culinary arts school run by a local Italian food producer. I can buy their products at most of our stores and specialty grocers...and I know my way around a kitchen well enough to re-create most of the stuff at home.
    On the other hand, if the gig offered high end sushi I may change my mind lol! Back to your regularly scheduled thread...sorry
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen irishtenor
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yeah we need a high end sushi bar with organ music. Any investors out there?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • donr
    "Well" this is a deep subject.

I am a non-degreed person who is trying to improve music at my church. I must tell you that it must take me three times longer to do my job because I am learning as I'm teaching. it is very difficult. I have a "in the world" type job so everything I do is at home and on my own time. I do not get paid to direct the church choir for the seasons nor do I get paid for the One Sunday Mass every week that I direct (The choir is getting pretty good by the way). None of the other musicians get paid for any of the other Masses either.

I have talked many times to the person in charge to see about getting at least the musicians paid a small stipend and the answer is always no. I even stated that I would gladly turn around and donate the money I make directly back to the church. Still nothing. We are trying to build a new church it is costing everyone a lot of money out of their personal wallets and to ask everyone to pitch in a little more to pay the musicians simply doesn't fit the budget.

Of course I think they could find enough to pay at least the lead musician at each Mass.

One of the music leaders always says he will never work in the church for money as a musician. He believes that he was given a talent to play the guitar and he should not charge God for it. He doesn't charge for Weddings, funerals or Quincenerra's (sp?).

The reason why I don't put my foot down and demand compensation or walk is because OCP is the norm at our church. Contemporary music rules the day, except for one Mass, the one I said I would lead so that I could make it more traditional. It has taken a while but its getting there.

My goal is, that once the church is built, to hire a full time director (traditional If I have anything to do about it) and just sing in the choir or lead a small schola.
    We'll see if I can get that done in the next 2 years.
  • ghmus7
    Fantastic post sergentedward! Congratulations for your vision and integrity.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • ryandryand
    donr, I'd like to be the first to apply. Where should I send my resume? ;)
  • My esteemed colleauges have adequately covered most of what needs to be said on this topic, but there is one salient point that should not be overlooked. I'd like to add something that was said to me by a brilliant and KIND musician who I consider my mentor -- although he's a bit younger than I am.

To fully appreciate his rather shocking comment to me, I must give some quick background.
    Me: my first experience directing a choir of adults at my home parish -for free, while raising (and having) babies and working another part-time job to provide my family with decent health insurance. I had majored in classical piano, sang good choral music under good directors but only had one semester of conducting at CUA

My mentor: a grad. student, studying organ with Dr. Grogan at CUA who became my organist by the grace of God. He was, and is, a supremely gifted musician, tenor, composer and all around musical wizard who can melt your heart with the subtle texture of his improvisational organ accompaniments -- woven underneath whatever hymn is currently being sung. Every time he touches a keyboard the angels pause. We were both struggling to survive financially - he a single man - me, a mom with 3 then 4 kids - when he worked as my organist.

He was getting paid a pittance, working for me while in school and singing at the Basilica in DC and etc, etc. etc. Here was this amazing musician....really struggling. I was doing hours and hours and hours of research and working, much like Donr above, to keep my head above water, teach myself how to direct a choir, understand the rubrics, learn chant and figure out how to read the complicated indices of the Marier hymnal..

One day, this lovely man looked at me over the organ after a long rehearsal that we had slugged our way through and said, "You're doing an amazing job. You have a real talent for this and you should seriously study directing for more than a semester and sacred music literature. You'll be great.... BUT - doing this for free is hurting all the professional musicians in this town who are trying to make a living as Catholic church musicians!"

I was floored. I had never thought of it that way or had enough information to understand what he was saying which was: why should a Pastor pay a fair wage for a professional church musician, when there was someone like me - who could turn out a pretty decent product with little real training - for free every week? I realized he was absolutely right and told my pastor that he needed to start paying me. It took a while, but after a month he started paying me $10K a year. And, that was the genesis of a sea change in that parish.

I realize we have to be realistic but we, as Catholic church musicians, need to respect ourselves and the liturgy enough to ask for a fair wage -- a FAIR WAGE not just what someone will throw at us to keep us quiet. And, if we do not, then we are doing the entire church a horrible disservice and enabling - on some level - the poor treatment we get as professionals or amateurs who are learning and working hard.

The Church will never evolve to a point where the liturgy is being cared for properly if we do not 'up the ante' in a reasonable way. If we cannot survive - feed our kids, pay our bills, keep the heat and light on at home -- then what are we doing to the future of church music? It's a thought that has consumed me for many years. I don't have a solution - other than to make sure that whomever I work for now pays me and the musicians I hire, a fair wage - even if it starts low, I insist that the parish do what it can reasonably do to support the musicians that show up every week, as prepared professionals. I have gone to the mat over this many, many, many times - and I won't stop. What else can we do? I don't know but we have to do what we can and not give up.

• CharlesW
    doing this for free is hurting all the professional musicians in this town who are trying to make a living as Catholic church musicians!"

I have said this for a number of years. Someone's imagined "charity" by not charging for their work is bad for everyone in the business - and it is a business. These same priests who don't want to pay musicians routinely vacation in Europe, attend the opera, symphony, and touring Broadway shows, and seemingly want for nothing. If housing, food, health insurance and car expenses were provided for us, maybe our salaries could be considered "fun" money, too.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • I always enjoyed reading about the salaries of composers back in the day. If you were a court composer or musician you had a nice place to live, a firewood, wine, and bread allowance, and a little bit of cash for whatever. Being aware of my family's fragile financial situation, the deacons at my "work church" have been giving me gift cards to a local grocery store at random times. Now if only I can talk them into paying the mortgage and heating bills...
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    CharlesW correctly notes: "Someone's imagined "charity" by not charging for their work is bad for everyone in the business - and it is a business."

From memory, it was Illinois Senator Everett Dirksen who explained his own negotiating skills (generally admitted to have been formidable, not least among those on the receiving end of them) by saying of his opponents that "when they feel the heat, they'll see the light." The senator was not thereby advocating mindless aggression, or the humiliation of those whose arms required twisting; he simply meant to issue a sharp summons to the reality-based community. I have yet to encounter a more succinct or memorable description than Dirksen's of what not only legislators, but all organists and all choir-directors, need to bear in mind.
  • I can't agree with the downer on volunteer musicians. All the work of the church belongs to everyone, I would look at it as a pyramid, with those who are dedicated more fulltime, and hence more invested in training at the top, with a broad base of less qualified/experienced people supporting. In my field as an evangelist and catechists, one of the main problems for mobilising the laity is the perception that evangelisation is a specialist task only to be undertaken by paid professionals. I would suggest that rather than narrowing the base by confining it to paid workers, if we widen the base with even more involved volunteers, the number of people who will understand and appreciate the time and investment the professionals put in will increase, the number who love and value the music of the church will increase, and therefore the people who are wlling to see their hard earned cash pay for music ill increase, a win win situation.
    A volunteer who supports themselves in not an unpaid musician, they are a paid musician whose principal donor is themselves. Why should it be okay for me to donate my money to pay some other musician, and not okay to donate that money to pay for myself? Particularly, as time is money, I can convert my time directly into service without the taxman taking a big slice.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • rich_enough
    Ironically, Christopher Candela is organist at one of the parishes slated to be closed in Manhattan, St. Thomas More.
  • Here's my conundrum. Consider the following quote from the 1958 Instruction on Sacred Music:

101. It would be ideal, and worthy of commendation if organists, choir directors, singers, instrumentalists, and others engaged in the service of the Church, would contribute their talents for the love of God, and in the spirit of religious devotion, without salary; should they be unable to offer their services free of charge, Christian justice, and charity demand that the church give them a just wage, according to the recognized standards of the locality, and provisions of law. - See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#anchor36301306

I have a full time job outside of choir directing. I don't see a cent, but I love doing the work, and our apostolate is just getting on its feet anyway. Am I lowering the bar for everyone else, if the alternative is no music at all for this group? At what point do I say, "I need to get paid for what I am doing"?
  • CharlesW
    The priests get paid so why not musicians? My music is often better than their sermons. I may have put more practice time into preparation.

BTW, I would love to be in a place where all those volunteers are available to provide support. Don't have them in my place, and I suspect many other musicians don't, either.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • some priests get paid, so that they can devote themselves fulltime to ministry, including the time they spend in study to prepare. Other clerics don't, at least here, namely the deacons. however they are not expected to be as available nor do they have the same level of training.
    I am not objecting to a musician, who giving a substantial portion of his working life to the music ministry getting paid, that would be right and proper, and something every parish should aim for. However, it is likely, where I live, that the possibility of such will be built up over time by volunteers in various fields, raising the standard of the parish to the point where paid for ministries of various kinds are a reality.
    It is not either/ or , it should be both and, IMHO
  • CharlesW
    All diocesan priests are paid here. Deacons, no, but some locations do give a stipend of some sort. Our deacons are often retired men who don't need the money. Order priests get paid, but I don't know if they all keep the money or turn it over to their orders. It may be different from order to order, and I think it is. They don't all take vows of poverty.
  • chonakchonak
    In a lot of cases, religious-order priests have their pay for parish or chaplaincy work sent to the provincial office of their order, and then they receive a stipend from the province. Not all employers are in a position to run things that way, but it's common. I think my bishop is paid that way.