• Kathy
    Blocks or cranks? How to research online? How to get a quote over the phone?
  • marajoymarajoy
    blocks if only one person is using it regularly, cranks definitely if multiple people use it regularly. (unless it's waaaaay more expensive...)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Most of the organ supply houses will not deal retail - they are the "organ builders' organ builder". You should shop around your local/regional organ technicians for the best price - for the better product. Do look at (and sit upon!) the benches they have supplied. Also make sure the front edge and ends are VERY rounded, and the the heel rest is in the proper position for your accompaniment of Gregorian chant!
  • Be prepared to spend more money than you would think.
    Something used will probably yield better quality.
    Extreme, rock-steady stability is key: even the slightest rocking is unacceptable.
    The thicker the top plank, the more stable the bench feels.
    Many crank benches tend to wobble.
    Precise and constant changing of the bench's height is overrated.
    The nicest bench at/on which I ever presided was built by Peter Collins (British).
    The top plank lifted off and the blocks were inserted under it.
    It had stout metal dowels that fit through holes in the blocks and the frame below it--brilliant, as they say.
    I've otherwise never had the option of an adjustable bench--and with 29" trouser inseam, I'm not the average pedal-er!
  • CharlesW
    The last time I looked at an organ bench, the price was around $1200. I don't know what they are currently selling for, but a good quality bench will not be cheap.
  • Kathy
    Thanks! Excellent information--very helpful.
  • $1200?!! [choke] ... I would talk with a cabinetmaker or two. Might not help but surely could not hurt.
  • CharlesW
    My understanding is that some cost even more than that. Especially if they are adjustable.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Maybe I'm just the perfect height (6'3), but I've never had to adjust an organ bench, never found any uncomfortably tall/short, and never really even given a thought to organ benches before reading this post. I've played dozens and dozens of organs, both pipe and electric and never really noticed much besides those interesting ones that have the hole/slide for the backrest. I've never thought about adding the backrest, but now that I don't have one I'm slightly intrigued about how it would feel to lean back while playing.
  • CharlesW
    I lean back when I am not playing. That's when I appreciate the backrest.
  • A few 1" or 1/2" planks nearby can help pack up an organ benche's height. I use some 3/4" ones to get my home organ's bench to the right height for me.

I'm seriously looking into a backrest too. I have bad enough posture as it is.
  • TCJ
    I've used both, and while the crank is nice, I've found blocks to be just as effective, if a little more clunky if you have to switch them out. A nice setup one church has is a specially-made set of of blocks that have two heights. Those plus not using them at all allow three heights for the bench and that's about all anyone should need.
  • Ally
    I'm short (5'3"), and I like the adjustable bench...though it can tend to rock a tiny bit. But I guess I'm used to that, and I'd rather be able to reach than not. And I think my regular subs like the convenience of the crank. At a couple of other churches I've played at, their "regular" benches were definitely too high, or I've had to remove blocks...maybe my vertical challenge makes me biased against them :)
  • francis
    In the past I have used OCP hymnals.
  • I used hard cover Glory and Praise before I had my blocks built.

I am 6'2", and after 20 years realized how much more comfortable it was for me to play with a higher bench. Try it, Matthew, you might like it. I can send you half a dozen Gather Reprehensives if you like...
  • francis
    I have plenty of 'so called liturgical music' that I will shred into pulp, mix with epoxy, shape into blocks, sand to a glass-like finish, paint to match your bench finish, and ship it to you for a small fee. :} (I think I have enough 'music' to actually make the bench too!)
  • I find that the Australian Edition of the "Gather Hymnal" to be an excellent bench booster for height. It is just about all that they are good for anyway... I use the planks at home.
  • francis
    The Organist Psalm Verse:

You who have seen my affliction
    and taken heed of my soul's distress,
    have not handed me over to the enemy,
    but set my feet at large. Psalm 31:8-9

(inscribed on my personal set of organ bench blocks)