Encouraging unbridled jubilation at Christmas and Easter
  • Grace and peace, everyone. In another thread it has been noted that we as a society celebrate Christmas during Advent and are, after the exertions of Holy Week, too tired to celebrate the Octave of Easter. I have noticed the same phenomena and have wondered whether perhaps one could call the former "chronological greed." As for the latter, my Presbyterian father has long wondered why we don't celebrate Eastertide.

How can we as faithful Catholics give witness to a different way of doing things? How can we, in M. Jackson Osborn's words, encourage the "unbridled jubilation" that Christmas and Easter deserve?
  • One of the issues with Easter, in my opinion, is that (now that the vigil is in the night and fulfills the Sunday obligation) so much effort goes into making the vigil beautiful, which is arduous. Everyone is dead tired from fasting and then assisting at a three-to-four hour liturgy, so Easter Sunday is often treated as an afterthought. This is very sad, as in your average parish, until the vigil became fashionable 60-some-odd years ago, Easter Sunday was the absolute high point of the entire liturgical year. So, I think one way to reclaim the octave and Easter Sunday itself is to de-emphasize the vigil. Really, in its nature it belongs in monasteries and perhaps cathedrals as opposed to every single parish. I realize this may not be a popular opinion.

When it comes to Christmas, we have many entrenched cultural practices to fight against. It is difficult to rehearse and prepare jubilant and beautiful music when folks tend to be out of town or occupied during the entirety of the octave. People also lose interest in Christmas repertoire once the 25th is past, which doesn't help.
  • Last year, during the Octave of Easter, I took my third-grade First Holy Communion class on a trip across the hallway to sing Easter songs for and, after a bit of prompting, with the first-graders. Our repertoire was super simple ("We wish you a blessed Easter," "Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the risen Lord").
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    As for the latter, my Presbyterian father has long wondered why we don't celebrate Eastertide.
    That is easy to answer, since we no longer fast in Lent, the feasting in Eastertide does not seem very festive!

We have more jubilant music in Eastertide, and the sanctuary is dressed appropriately. As a family we make sure the dining table is very empty during Lent, and full to overflowing in Eastertide.

My children do not get all their presents Christmas Eve / Christmas day. The parish servers get their presents from the parish on St Stephen's day. My children get presents right the was through the double Octave as various relations and friends come over for dinner.
  • francis
    Tomjaw... I am unclear about the 'no longer fast in Lent'... is this the case at your parish?
  • tomjaw
    @francis Giving up a chocolate bar or two is not fasting as earlier generations understood it. The older rule was one meal a day and a collation.

I must say that at least a few in our congregation do fast according to the old rules.
  • I totally agree with this:
    That is easy to answer, since we no longer fast in Lent, the feasting in Eastertide does not seem very festive!
    I know that the regulations differ somewhat by country, but is there anywhere the traditional Lenten fast is still mandatory? In the US, all that is strictly required are two fast days and six additional abstinence days (typically reduced to five if St. Patrick's Day, St. Joseph's Day, or the Annunciation falls on a Friday). A penance of one's own choosing is prescribed for the remaining Lenten ferias, apparently without binding under pain of sin. Seven or eight days of not eating meat and two of skipping snacks really isn't much. The rules in some other countries are even laxer.

I agree with Trenton's sentiments about overemphasis on the Easter Vigil, which others have also written about, but I question the claim that, "in its nature it belongs in monasteries." I would say that the blessing of the baptismal water shows just the opposite. More years than not, our Vigil has been celebrated with as much solemnity as possible, followed by the principal Easter morning Mass as a Missa cantata, even though we had deacon and subdeacon throughout the Triduum. Many of the faithful fulfill their obligation by assisting at the Vigil and then don't come back for the morning Mass. It's a problem! Musically speaking, the Vigil lacks many elements of the Sunday Mass, such as the Vidi aquam, Sequence, Credo, Offertory, and Agnus Dei (I speak of the TLM here; some of these has been added to the novus ordo). How strange in 2020 to have a Low Mass Easter Vigil, where the Dandrieu "O filii" variations were sufficient to cover the Offertory, Communion, and Postlude combined!

I'm careful to include the most familiar carols as prelude, processional, and recessional for the Midnight Mass and the Christmas Day Mass too. There's room for a few more on the Sunday in the octave. Although it's still Christmastide, the Nativity isn't really the liturgical theme once we get into the January feasts, but others keep using Christmas carols up until Candlemas. A final thought: as lovely as they are, candlelit Masses probably foster more of an atmosphere of contemplation rather than unbridled jubilation.
  • Liam
    Well, the candlelit portion of the OF Easter Vigil is relatively short:

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8455/easter-vigil-when-do-the-lights-come-on/p1
  • I would say that the blessing of the baptismal water shows just the opposite

You're right of course, Patrick. I suppose I just mean that the odd and elaborate nature of the liturgy lends itself better to a monastic or cathedral chapter sort of environment. The rest of your comments on the vigil I agree with absolutely.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Well, the candlelit portion of the OF Easter Vigil is relatively short
    I wrote an article on this very subject:
    https://www.ccwatershed.org/2023/04/12/easter-vigil-illumination/