From What Hymnal/Book Is This??
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Hi Friends,

I was given a copy of this trio years ago, and I think it's very pretty. I would like to know from what type of compilation it comes, though, if any of you know...

This is the first page (see attached pdf).

It is one of the few versions I know of that have "What happiness can equal mine....." as a verse for "Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All." Another being the other attached image.
    1287 x 621 - 193K
  • I don’t recognize the book, but it’s the tune to which ‘Faith of our fathers’ is sung in Ireland and, at times, in the island to its east.
    Thanked by 1Brian Michael Page
  • CCoozeCCooze
    It might be from an old collection called "Sacred Heart Hymns, Choice Collection of Bright and Melodious Hymns to the Sacred Heart." (1889)
    Anyone have access to this book/hymnal?
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    The accompaniment music is, in fact, from the publication you mention: "Sacred Heart Hymns..." I have a copy of it, and it is 1889 and was reprinted in 1911. I'm not sure about the other attachment though. It's not from the singer's edition of "Sacred Heart Hymns..." which I also have. What's interesting, too, is that only the first three verses are from Father Faber's original hymn. Verses 4 to 8 seem to be unique to this publication!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The 2nd attachment was simply to show that text within the same hymn.

Very interesting, though. Is the Sacred Heart Hymns something that might be available online, or somesuch?
  • chonakchonak
    An 1889 edition of Sacred Heart Hymns is on-line at IMSLP.

• oldhymnsoldhymns
    I will let Jeff Ostrowski borrow my copy for scanning for the CCWatershed site.