• bhcordovabhcordova
    Kyle,

Have you told your parents what is going on? How do they feel about it? Have they tried to do anything to correct the problem? You are a minor. You don't need to be teaching this class. You need to get your parents involved with this problem. They are responsible for you until your 18th birthday. It is their responsibility to get this corrected.
    Thanked by 2canadash Spriggo
  • a_f_hawkins
    St Anthony of Padua joined an order of Augustinian canons first as a student and then continued after ordination at the mother house in Coimbra. When some of the newly founded Franciscans stayed there for a bit, he managed to arrange to transfer to the Franciscan Friars. He later commented of his experience at Coimbra that
    'Obedience to an unjust superior works to the spiritual benefit of the subject, and to the damnation of the superior'
    I don't have the text to hand and that may not be quite how he expressed it. So he put up with it while he had to, and got out when opportunity arose.
  • KyleM18
    My parents know, and have lodged multiple complaints, but because if the director leaves there will be no teacher for piano or guitar, the school is putting up... Is it that uncommon that a student would be teaching the class? It seem to be a regular thing at my school...
  • canadashcanadash
    Is it that uncommon that a student would be teaching the class?

And meloCharles is right--if your parents are paying serious money for you to attend this school, then they should be up in arms about this so-called choral director stealing money from them while not providing anything in the way of education or training.

Unless you are getting paid this serious money, I would suggest that yes, it is uncommon. It is stealing!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Kyle: it is absolutely unheard of for a student to be teaching a class within any sort of reputable K-12 institution.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Also, if you give a call to their insurance company, I guarantee you they would throw a fit. A student, especially one under 18-years-of-age, is not a suitable supervisor/monitor for other children. If anything should happen...just wow.
  • It's also extremely risky for a student to be teaching a class: what would happen if there was an accident, or if one of the students claimed that you had molested them? If a small group of them decided to gang up on you, they could claim that almost anything had happened.

Teachers have training to deal with this sort of stuff, and the school has insurance to look after them. Students have nothing like that.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My parents know, and have lodged multiple complaints, but because if the director leaves there will be no teacher for piano or guitar, the school is putting up... Is it that uncommon that a student would be teaching the class? It seem to be a regular thing at my school...

Then all the more that complaints need to be brought to a higher authority than the school principal -- who is obviously condoning this. Your parents need to speak with the Diocesan Superintendent of Schools (or whatever their title is). There is absolutely NO justifiable reason why a minor should be left teaching a class at a K-12 school while the real teacher is absenting himself, and I'm pretty sure that it's illegal, too.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The principal of your school (or whoever is in charge) is leaving the school open to serious lawsuits. Not to mention a loss of accreditation (that means your diploma would be worthless and you couldn't get into a college or university). This is a very serious situation. Complain to the priest at the parish, complain to the nuns, have your parents complain to any and all, complain to other parents, report it to the diocesan newspaper, write a letter to the bishop. It is not only uncommon, it is virtually unheard of for a student at the school to be teaching the class.
  • KyleM18
    It is accreditation year, but that is a whole other story. Yeah, I know... I have a meeting with the school president. That might help.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • This gets more irrational by the minute.
    I don't know which is more astonishing -
    the general academic and spiritual climate of this school, plus a student put up to teaching.
    or -
    that your parents have not gotten you out of there long, long ago.

(Are you the only student who is bothered by this state of affairs?)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Kyle,

Can you tell us how things are going? Have things improved at your school?
  • KyleM18
    Half better... I don't have to worry, since they're starting to cut the choir program. I still lead the occasional rehearsal, but they are so rare... A shame, but at least the school got notified...
    Thanked by 1canadash