Just wanted to say something (Christmas Mass in Spanish at BNSIC)
  • CharlesW
    I saw that, then it digressed into unrelated stuff below it.

I don't propose anything with the 1970 missal. It has been replaced and is no longer in use. I am using the 2010 and the USCCB instructions and Ordo that go along with it.
  • chonakchonak
    Huh? PBS airs Hillsong during pledge week? Am I missing something?

Oh: I edited the thread title to indicate where it started at least.
  • ...fascinating...

Odd!
    I don't think that the honourable Mr Hawkins is equivocating at all!
    He seems to be quite spot on.

And, um, one feels that
    it isn't inappropriate to note that it isn't as if the 1962 Missal was the Sarum rite.
  • KyleM18
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but the 2010 Missal is the English version of the 2002(?) Missale Romanum, which essentially uses the same rite from the 1970 Missale. Given that, wouldn't the question be referring to any of the NO masses? Sigh...

For me, standard of perfection would be St. John Cantius in Chicago, but that is a FAR REACH goal. Something a little more manageable would be St. Mary's Cathedral Sydney, although I suppose that that might still be a reach.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Chonak, maybe I was the one who missed something. "Hillsong" didn't sound to me like a real thing, but I stand corrected, though that still may not be what the OP meant.

I'm not sure if editing the thread title is a good thing or not: a peruser of the Music for Hispanic Ministry archives will probably not waste time clicking on "I just wanted to say something". Maybe it would be best to just add "abortive attempt to discuss" to the parenthetical part. Or is the idea that people will suddenly notice the changed title? Does St. John Cantius in Chicago actually have Spanish Masses?
  • chonakchonak
    I think the OP was referring to Hillsong: he was happy to hear a Mass in Spanish with music that did not imitate pop songs.

Adding a specifier to the title should be harmless: it might encourage people to get back to the topic!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • MatthewRoth
    Kyle, exactly...
  • francis
  • Scott_WScott_W
    The school kids have no problem with it.

henry wins the thread.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • I've found that it is much easier to teach Gregorian chant to children than it is to teach it to adults.

It's much easier to teach any foreign-language material to children than it is to adults. Children have an ability to pick up the material even if they don't understand words, which adults lose (I believe sometime around the start of puberty).

My secular choir has recently done a bunch of stuff in French. I hate it, because to me it's just a jumble of meaningless syllables stuck to a tune, Very difficult to memorise. I actually find Latin-language material easier, because at least the words are familiar (through having sung lots of Latin choral material) even if I have no idea of the meaning beyond the general translation of the overall work.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe the free language-learning site duolingo could be useful
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    Wherever you are on the spectrum, please, just continune improving.
    Good .. Better .. Best .. .. .. Perfect.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    We never get to Perfect. There is always room for improvement.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 a_f_hawkins
  • music123
    Musical traditions differ in Hispanic communities.

A few years ago, at my parish, I had the job of organizing a new choir for our Spanish Masses. I decided to buy 10 copies of Flor y Canto with the melody line for this choir. Within a few weeks all the choir members had dumped that version for the one with just words, saying it was too confusing.

So if you can't get the choir to read music, even just a melody line, that makes it difficult to go to the next level.
    Thanked by 1eft94530