Rubrical Source for Omission of Alleluia & Verse on Advent Ferias Where Sunday Mass is Resumed
  • I am putting together the music for a Sung Mass (1962) on the Monday of Advent I; we are using the Sunday propers. I am aware that the FSSP and LMS Ordo specify the Alleluia and Verse to be omitted in this case.

A friend of mine, not particularly attached to the Old Mass, but of sufficient vintage and musical involvement to remember it well, volunteered that this was so when I told him about the upcoming Mass. So I am very confident that this omission ought to be made.

However, I am in the midst of a particularly unpleasant political situation, and have a few people that I think might be "out to get me" on some technicality. I would really feel much more comfortable if I knew exactly where in the Rubrics this omission is specified. Many thanks in advance for help.
  • The Missale Romanum 1962 can be downloaded in .pdf from the CMAA site here.

The rubric you are looking for is on p. 2, and says:

¶ In feriis Adventus, quando per hebdomadam adhibetur Missa de dominica, non dicitur Allelúia, nec versus sequens, sed tantum graduale.
    Thanked by 2chonak Ben
  • Many, many thanks!
  • This rubric is also found in the Graduale, right after the end of the Communio for the First Sunday of Advent.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis