Children's Choir director, Northern VA
  • JonLaird
    My parish, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Lake Ridge, VA is seeking a new director for the children's choir. My wife has been leading it for the past four years, and has done an amazing job, but will be unable to continue next year.

Duties primarily include teaching the repertoire for Mass, as well as instructing children in music theory and vocal technique. Some basic keyboard skills are necessary, but a parent serves as the rehearsal accompanist, and I serve as the organist for Masses when the children sing. There is very little administrative work required, because I take care of selecting music, assembling packets, maintaining the membership roll, and even communication with families.

Rehearsals are Sunday mornings, 9:30-10:30AM. The choir sings at Mass once a month, including Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday morning. The choir season runs from September to Easter, though I am open to extending that in future years. Repertoire consists of hymns (from the Vatican II Hymnal) often with descants, chanted ordinary (thus far the choir knows ICEL, Missa de Angelis, and Richard Rice's Mass of the Sacred Heart), chanted communion antiphon (English). I select this music, and work with the children's choir director to select appropriate choral pieces.

Choir membership was at 45 this past year, ranging from 3rd-12th grade. The older singers comprise a separate choir which I won't discuss in detail in this posting. We have a strict attendance policy which guarantees that singers do not flit in and out.

If the new children's choir director is a private music instructor (voice, piano, etc.), he or she is also permitted to use church facilities for private lessons (provided the appropriate liability insurance paperwork is registered with the chancery).

If you are interested, please contact me by PM or call me at the parish office, 703-494-4008 (after hours, dial ext 140 at the recording).

Jon Laird
    Director of Music
    St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church
    12805 Valleywood Dr
    Lake Ridge, VA 22192
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions