The American Language
  • Liam
    Except that it's political correct to whine about political correctness.

(Most people seem to be unaware that the term originated among *liberals* in response to browbeatings et cet. by *radicals* over three decades ago.)
  • CharlesW
    (Most people seem to be unaware that the term originated among *liberals* in response to browbeatings et cet. by *radicals* over three decades ago.)

Of course it did. The worm turns, or the shoe is on the other foot, or what is good for the goose... Things tend to work out that way.

Except that it's political correct to whine about political correctness.

Some would say political correctness and hate speech are part of the never passed, but quite real, full employment act for lawyers.

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    non-privileged [non-(hate crime designated)] person
    I guess I'm luckier than some in having a grandfather who felt he had to change his name from Gottlieb. I'd milk it a lot more if I weren't afraid of it coming across as whining.

But since we've drifted a bit from Liam's OP, has someone made a Hemingway-ordo comparable to the Pirate Mass?
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    Never heard the "Pirate Mass," but only the "Pirate Gloria," from the Liturgical Mysteries.

"Gottlieb" is a perfectly good name. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Liam
    Thank you, Richard.

(((Liam)))
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I don't see anything wrong with [Gottlieb]
    And nice of you to say so! I was very nearly named for him. Things have changed since Meyer v. Nebraska and in my lifetime the busts of Leibnitz and Gutenberg were returned to display in the Berkeley library.
  • Liam
    My father was much much younger than his several older siblings (oldest brother had already graduated Middlebury College when my father was born in 1924), so, unlike them, he did not learn his prayers in German. I can still remember my elderly aunts reciting their prayers in German, because they learned them before World War I.