Should we invite Bono to sit down with Mahrt?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The remarks in the video discussion are not contextualized by either the U2 singer or the Christian poet. Namely, if Bono's vision of the specific (and) content of Christian art includes art in service to worship, is such content complimentary to authentic worship? If Psalms are not pretty, not nice, jagged and disturbing and are supposed to be "honest" as such, are we truly dishonest if we don't use them in contemporaneous context?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/04/27/bonos-advice-to-christian-musicians-get-real/
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The following is not directed at meloCharles (who I suspect agrees with me), but is simply an expression of my feelings from when I read this story the first time...

I am so tired --- both bored and annoyed --- with this conversation. Liturgy is not the place to sing songs about my bad marriage or losing my job or that time I drank too much cheap whiskey and ran over my hounddog with my beatup pickup truck that was about to be repossessed.

And if I have to argue with (an editorial) you about that fact, then (hypothetical) you and I have such vastly different understandings of the point of liturgy and worship music that I don't even know where to begin.

Saying that Beyonce's Lemonade album is a Psalm is a (mildly) interesting method of understanding Beyonce and her album, but it is a TERRIBLE way of trying to understand the Psalms. And trying to then extrapolate from that to (for example) how we ought to sing those psalms in corporate worship is (I use this word too often...) stupid.

The way we sing to and about God in worship is idealized, not dishonest. It presents a model for us to reach toward, not a hypocritical statement of our own piety and righteousness.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Quite right, Little Joe. I was listening to the Norcian monks and their Marian chants this weekend, and if that isn't an honest sacred expression, then there ain't no sech thing. Your sentiments are precisely why I suggested Bono needs to have a sit down with Mahrt, the world's most interesting man. Stay churchy, my friend.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Too bad it's too late for Prof. Mahrt to sit down with this Bono . . .

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Too bad it's too late

IF I COULD TURN BACK TIIIIME
  • IanWIanW
    Have you consulted Professor Mahrt about this, Adam?