Do you have Old Translation hymnals?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    An Episcopalian musician friend is interested in acquiring a large set of old-translation Gather Comp. and Lead Me, Guide Me hymnals. If you or someone you know still has old hymnals laying around after having replaced them, please let me know. Will pay for shipping.

You can email me
    adam.michael.wood@gmail.com

or PM me.

(And, I know this is really difficult for some of you people, maybe don't turn this into a big thread about how they are terrible hymnals and what the heck is wrong with Episcopalians and blah blah and what what and things like that.)
  • We cannot blame Episcopalians for something that we started.
  • MatthewRoth
    Those who would do that would help, but they probably burned them long ago.
  • francis
    they are terrible hymnals
    I have never opened them, but I will take your word for it.
  • CGM
    I know of a church that has a large collection of "The Catholic Hymn Book" (compiled by the London Oratory and published by Gracewing) - hundreds of the congregational (melody-only) versions, and maybe a half-dozen of the harmonized choir versions. I think they were purchased around 1999 or 2000, so definitely before the new translation.

It's a lovely volume, with lots of great un-altered English texts and lots of wonderful tunes (and Latin hymns and chant Mass settings, too). I suspect that most of the music would be unfamiliar to American congregations. The big drawback is the English-style typesetting, of tunes-only at the top of the page, and words in stanzas underneath. (That's why the parish stopped using them after a few years.)

I think they were going to put 'em up on eBay, but never got around to it. They'd probably part with them for shipping costs and a nominal fee (though don't quote me on that). Let me know if you want more info. It's a shame for all those books to go unused (they've been sitting on a shipping pallet for at least six years...).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'll ask if those are wanted. The inquirer specifically wanted Lead Me Guide Me and Gather Comp for the contemporary stuff.

(This is for the seminary here. They use a variety of resources, most of which is traditional Episcopal/Anglican stuff. But they also have LEVAS2, Wonder Love and Praise, Flor y Canto, Voices Found, and a few other things. The chapel MD tries to expose people to the widest possible range of things they might experience in the real world.)