• CharlesW
    Does anyone have an accompaniment for the ICEL long form of the Exsultet? Yes, I know it would be better unaccompanied, but I have been asked by a priest to get accompaniment for him to sing it to. I have never seen accompaniment for this, but does anyone know if it exists?
  • The Exsultet is never accompanied. That priest should know better. The organ will have been silent since Holy Thursday and should stay silent until the Gloria on Holy Saturday. He should have asked you to play something loud as the bells are rung and just before he Gloria is intoned.
  • Charles,

What L Houston said.

God bless,

Chris
  • CharlesW
    The organ will have been silent since Holy Thursday and should stay silent until the Gloria on Holy Saturday

Not necessarily. The organ is used for Good Friday services, stations, and also for Easter Vigil psalms. This is not EF, and its practices are completely irrelevant in this situation. At any rate, if he wants accompaniment, he will get it. If no one has such, I will just have to put one together for him. As I mentioned, I haven't seen an accompaniment, anywhere.

BTW, thanks to both of you, since you are being totally unhelpful.
  • Charles,

I'm not addressing an EF situation -- although in this case, they're the same.

During Lent, in the OF, the organ may be used only to support congregational singing. If this is observed only in the breach nowadays, that's why Ben and Francis prefer the EF. Since the priest is not singing the exsultet as part of the congregation, the rule about accompanying it is moot.
  • Protasius
    If the priest cannot sing the Exsultet without accompaniment he might ask a competent cantor to sing it; that's the way I hear it usually (in this case "The Lord be with you" is omitted of course).
  • CharlesW
    I am in a situation where I have been asked to provide accompaniment and will do so. I knew all the objections you are raising before you commented. I know it wasn't done that way in 19th-century Russia, or the EF. I am not in that environment and don't work for those folks. I asked about accompaniments since finding one already written would be a valuable savings of my time over having to write one out.

If the priest cannot sing the Exsultet without accompaniment he might ask a competent cantor to sing it;

I am sure the priest is going to ask members of this forum what they think he should do - not!

We had a deacon sing it last year who has a pretty decent voice. He couldn't sustain pitch over the length of it and got a bit lost before it ended. It was, to put it mildly, a disaster. Everyone hates the thing and groans when it starts, but there is no way to do away with it. The choices are either read it, or accompany it enough to keep the priest aligned with the right notes and text. This choice has been made for me.

Now back to the normal forum tongue-clucking and finger wagging about 19th-century Russia. No wonder newbies who ask questions here never come back.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • Liam
    It's functionally a presidential prayer even if its sung by a deacon or a lay delegate, so that the ban on accompaniment substantially applies to it even if it arguably doesn't formally apply. It's an anaphora. You would no more accompany it than the singing of the readings or Gospel.
  • CharlesW
    As I mentioned, that choice has been made for me. I would rather it be read.
  • Liam
    Well, my explanation is why you are very unlikely to find one published - omitting illicit forms that butcher the Exsultet into a paraphrase with refrains....
  • CharlesW
    I agree. I have seen some of those altered forms, and they are not pretty. I suspect I will end up playing chords under the melody. The only people who even attend the Easter Vigil are those who have to be there for some reason. This isn't something I will lose any sleep over.
  • Liam
    The alternative is providing periodic incipits, with minimally audible sustained chords for the priest's ear more than the congregations' ears.
  • JonLaird
    What are we to do when our priest asks us to do something contrary to the rubrics? My practice is first to inform him (in a neutral manner) what the rubrics say according to my understanding, and then if he renews the instruction, obey in all things but sin. Not all apparent rubrical violations are created equal, and deviation -- even significant deviation -- in certain circumstances occurs at all levels of the hierarchy. It is up to the priest to determine what is best. I myself observed at a colloquium some years ago a willful and utterly unnecessary rubrical deviation by a priest who is regarded as nothing less than a hero on this forum.

Were a priest to ask me to do something I regarded as clearly sacrilegious or otherwise sinful, I would obviously have to tell him I could not do it.

Charles' priest has determined that it is better to sing the Exsultet well than to sing it badly, and it is better to sing it than not to sing it at all, and furthermore that it is better for it to be sung well by a priest than to be sung well by a cantor. He ought to be commended for efforts to do this, not castigated, particularly when the fine points of the rubrics are anything but crystal clear on the matter. Personally I bend over backward and do everything in my power to encourage and support my pastor when he tells me he wants to sing something, because he rarely sings his parts. Yet he recognizes that he should sing more and I am at pains to make this possible.

Charles, I don't know of an accompaniment, but if I were in your position, I would put a persistent drone on la -- that is, if it were according to the score on the ICEL site, I would do it on the second A below middle C. Then I would add another one at mi (E) above that, changing to re when it seemed appropriate. I would let the dialogue be a cappella. For the rest of the chant I would move the persistent drone to mi (E) with the moving drone at la (A) above that, going to ti (B) when appropriate with the melody. This should be sufficient to provide a steady pitch reference. If more is needed, I'm afraid I can't be very helpful.

If anyone doesn't like the idea that this is happening, perhaps Charles can furnish them with a rectory address to which they can mail their arguments. Otherwise they would be better off not visiting the thread, to avoid getting their knickers in a twist. Personally I don't intend to return to it, to avoid getting drawn into a neverending argument with others equally as stubborn as I am. Charles, feel free to PM me if I can be any more helpful.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks, JonLaird. I think I will follow your suggestion. It's a once-a-year thing and not worth, as I said, losing sleep over.

Personally I don't intend to return to it, to avoid getting drawn into a neverending argument with others equally as stubborn as I am

Too funny! I can just hear the rosary beads rattling and the mantilla rendering by the "elect" around here. LOL.
  • Charles,

No one who disagrees with you on the point in question has insulted you or questioned your sincerity --- and yet you say this:

! I can just hear the rosary beads rattling and the mantilla rendering by the "elect"

To call this gratuitous is to engage in understatement.

SINCE you're intent on having an accompaniment, however, you'll find that Chris Walker (I think) has a re-written version of the Exsultet, complete with accompaniment, and that it is available from OCP.

• fcbfcb
    If I might ask a meta-question: even if the law is clear that non-congregational singing is to be unaccompanied during the Triduum up until the Vigil's Gloria, and even if one agrees that this law is helpful in general in giving those days a special sobriety, is there anything bad per se about accompanying the Exultet. That is, is it wrong simply because it goes against the law? Is it somehow so bad in and of itself that even if the spirit of law is observed (e.g. one accompanies it is a notably sober way) it still should not be done? I've noticed that people often cite liturgical law as if it settles the question, which it might not do if someone feel that they have a compelling reason to deviate from the law (unless someone feels that there is never a compelling reason to deviate from the law, or that--as CG-Z implies above--that all deviations of liturgical law are created equal).

As a PS, it makes me sad that the people at CharlesW's parish find the Vigil in general and the Exultet in particular to be such a drag. Our's is not heavily attended, but pretty much everyone is there willingly and loves the Exultet in particular.
    Thanked by 1MBW
  • CharlesW
    As a PS, it makes me sad that the people at CharlesW's parish find the Vigil in general and the Exultet in particular to be such a drag. Our's is not heavily attended, but pretty much everyone is there willingly and loves the Exultet in particular.

I think you would have to be there for any of it to make sense. We had an aging pastor who insisted on staying longer than he was physically capable of doing the job. As his health deteriorated, his singing of the Exsultet worsened from year to year. It reached the point where hardly anyone wanted to hear it any more. With a new pastor, a deacon sang it and it still didn't go well. One of our priests sings relatively well and asked for accompaniment. He will get it.

...intent on having an accompaniment, however, you'll find that Chris Walker (I think) has a re-written version of the Exsultet, complete with accompaniment, and that it is available from OCP.

Thanks for the recommendation. Something like this is what I was looking for from the start.

Rubrics are like Christ mentioned about the Sabbath. Rubrics were made for man, not man for the rubrics.
  • Liam
    Deacon Fritz

I would argue accompanying the Exsultet would be like accompanying the proclamation of the Gospel or the Eucharistic Prayer. In its traditional form, the Exsultet is an anaphora, not a hymn or canticle. Consequently, if accompaniment is desired for prudential reasons, as one might say, I would recommend it avoid being noticeable as far as possible. No soundtracks, nor singer-accompanist concerto/duet, please, as opposed to support for unsure singers.
  • CharlesW
    if accompaniment is desired for prudential reasons, as one might say, I would recommend it avoid being noticeable as far as possible

It will be a soft, 8' string principal, only loud enough to keep the singer on pitch.

Now I have done it. I will hear from the anti-string principal crowd, for sure!
  • fcbfcb
    Liam,

As you imply, there seems to be a big difference between discrete accompaniment of the anaphora to keep the celebrant on pitch and those lush Disney-ballad settings of the EP that were in vogue in the 1990s (my memory of Walker's setting of the Exsultet is that it is more the latter than the former, but I may be confusing it with another setting). Unless, of course, one takes the approach that the law is the law and that if you're going to break the law it doesn't matter much how or why you break it. In for a penny, in for a pound: if you are going to quietly accompany on the organ you might as well add tympani, guitars, kazoos, gamelans, etc. (actually, a gamelan accompaniment might be kind of cool; it could give new meaning to "let this holy building shake with joy").
  • Liam
    Deacon Fritz

When I hear reference to "accompaniment for the Exsultet" I do naturally think of the ballad settings because those are the only ones I've ever encountered.

I remember a priest-composer-pianist who once sang the Exsultet and ended up about a 4th higher than he started (he''s a tenor, but more a pianist than singer....). No accompaniment. I have zero issue with periodic incipits for chanting presidential prayers; that is customary and prudent as needed.

The problem comes when someone wants to do more and, um, "add value"; I am concerned about that, having seen it many times in action. At that point, it becomes more about the music ministers than the worship as such. So I tend to favor nipping earlier in the process.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've been the bene-/maleficiary of the "add value" approach to singing the Exsultet ... most of the people ate it up, but I was too stunned to be edified by it.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    I don't want to add value to it. However, after years of it being perfectly awful, it might be perceived by the congregation more favorably if it can go well this year.
  • Liam
    Chuck

I too have participated in adding value (not as an accompanist, but in some leadership in music ministry back in the day), and I reconsidered the prudence and wisdom of it in the long rear-view mirror as I saw, cumulatively, how that impulse grew to permeate a lot of decision-making in a way that got in the way, as it were.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There are OCP settings by Chris Walker, John Repulski, and Pedro Rubalcava (the Repulski uses the Book of Common Prayer text, the Walker seems to use an earlier version of the Missal text, while the Rebalcava has both English and Spanish texts). The simplest (and, to me, least objectionable) setting is the Rubalcava.

There is a WLP setting by J. Michael Thompson which uses the Missal text, sung by Priest, Deacon, or Cantors (one or two), with SATB accompaniment. Some of the instructions include:
    Part 1 should be deacon or priest. For sake of contrast, Part 2 may be sung by a cantor preferably a female voice. If a deacon or priest does not sing Part 1, use a male voice, but make the omissions required by The Roman Missal.

The choir acts as a foundation for and backdrop to the chant of the cantors, using three devices from medieval practice:
      a) Ison: singing at a sustained tone under the chant;
      b) Organum: singing at perfect fifths around [sic] the chant; and
      c) Murmur: singing with the cantor, but "soto voce," barely audible.

In the usage that I experienced, there was no deacon or priest who sang Part 1; instead, two female cantors were employed, one for Part 1 and the other for Part 2. Moreover, a choir (although one was present) was not used, but instead the choir parts were played on a keyboard using a "strings" synthesizer setting (which seemed to have plenty of reverb and spinning overtone effects) and was generally too loud (everything, cantors and keyboard was miked and piped through the PA speakers). The contrast between the male and female voices called for by the composer was simply not there. In several places, if one of the two singers was taking her role as cantor, the other usually sang the soprano part of the choir part (so a perfect fifth above the cantor, or on an ison drone pitch).

In comparison with the attached recording, linked to below (from WLP), which uses a male for Part 1 and a female for Part 2, plus SATB chorus, a cappella), the effect of the actual "performance" that I experienced was a) splashy, and b) underwhelming (or overwhelming, I suppose).

http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/download/ExsultetThompson.mp3

Thanked by 2CharlesW irishtenor
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hmm, I hadn't yet thought of a choral ison under the Easter date Proclamation; maybe the congregation would even join in!

actually, a gamelan accompaniment might be kind of is cool;
    I never got to the Semarang Cathedral, but one hasn't lived until one has heard simultaneous chanting from the LU and gamelan accompaniment of Magi in the garb of Hindu deities, as I heard in Surakarta.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen fcb
  • fcbfcb
    Hmmmm... the Thompson setting isn't terrible (and certainly not a Disney ballad) but I feel as if the beauty of the text is best conveyed by a solo voice. The "added value" seems a bit of a distraction.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    fcb ... I agree.
  • KyleM18
    A bit early, but does anyone have a chant score to the Ordinariate Version (Rejoice now, all ye heavenly legions of angels)? A non-Catholic church near me would like to use it, and I would like one for reference. I don't want to spend 400 dollars for a DW:TM when most Ordinariate priests can barely afford one copy themselves.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kyle -

I'll check with our choirmaster at Walsingham and get back to you in a couple of days.

I have the exsultet in a version by Palmer-Burgess, with, of course, Anglican hieratic English, which I could copy and mail to you.

This is probably what we use in the Ordinariate, though likely with some little changes here and there.

Even our official propers, which are basically Palmer-Burgess, have some minor divergences in vocabulary and phraseology from time to time.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    MJO: Does the Palmer-Burgess have the whole thing? I'm checking, but I only see the "Rejoice now, all ye heavenly legions of angels...throughout all ages, world without end." part, with the ... instead of the text.
  • Kyle -

You are correct: the 'whole thing' is not in the Palmer-Burgess gradual, only the introductory section. Ditto, the Anglican Use Gradual. However, there is a separate Palmer-Burgess edition of the entire Exsultet. I have this (I think!) and will scan it and mail it to you if you wish. Let's see first, though, what is the official Ordinariate version. I'll get back to you after checking with Walsingham's choirmaster Sunday morning.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Kyle -

I've gone through my library and do not have the Palmer-Burgess Exsultet.
    I have quite a lot of their versions of various offices and rites which might, indeed, be of interest to some here, but not that. Sorry. I have so much of their other things that I'm puzzled that I haven't managed to get the Exsultet.

This Sunday morning, I'll ask Edmund Murray, our choirmaster at Walsingham, for what we use in the Ordinariate and mail you a copy.

Another avenue would be to contact the (Anglican) Benedictine sisters at St Mary's, Wantage, Isle of Wight, who are the proprietors of Palmer-Burgess' work, and who gave permission for the CMAA to reproduce their Plainsong Gradual.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • a_f_hawkins
    A version available for sale from the RSCM, text from Common Worship.
  • That is, is it wrong simply because it goes against the law?

I would say yes: if an act goes against the stated law, it is wrong.

I've noticed that people often cite liturgical law as if it settles the question, which it might not do if someone feel that they have a compelling reason to deviate from the law (unless someone feels that there is never a compelling reason to deviate from the law, or that--as CG-Z implies above--that all deviations of liturgical law are created equal).

Please clarify this statement. What sorts of situations would qualify as "compelling reasons?" Those seem to be in the same line as "pastoral concerns:" ambiguous, and could have infinite interpretations. It seems like you are saying that the law does not have to be followed if one decides there's something more important to them. If that is truly what this statement is intended to mean, then they aren't laws at all: they're guidelines.
  • CharlesW
    There are laws, there are guidelines, then there are the people you work for. Trying to blend all three together can cause near insanity. Best to be aware of your situation, your boss, your congregation, and how it affects any practical applications of law and rubrics.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Greetings, Kyle -

The Exsultet as used in the Ordinariate is found in Divine Worship:The Missal. I will have a copy of this made later this week and will mail it to you if you wish to give me your address, either here or by personal e-mail to me.
  • Once upon a time at OLW, we "accompanied" the Deacon chanting the Exsultet thusly: two cantors (including myself) sang with the Deacon on all but the R and V, where we took the part of the congregation, then continued with the Deacon to the end. As has been stated, the work can be assigned to a cantor excepting the V & R, so why not multiple cantors, that just happen to include the ordained Deacon or Priest? It keeps both pitch and rhythm going, and alleviates the reliance on the organ. Seems like a "win-win" to me.
  • ...and........

Organ???!!
    What organ!!?

With the Exsultet???????
    Never on my watch!
  • chonakchonak
    I came across this Exsultet text on the net, from something called the Anglican Service Book, which seems to be close to the Ordinariate text. I typed it up as a chant score, though that may not be so useful for Kyle's non-Catholic friends. Anyway, here it is.
  • Chonak -
    I'm not familiar with this Anglican Service Book.
    Do you know the provenance?
    CofE?
    One of the numerous Anglican splinter churches?
    Episcopalian?
    Other?

I just looked it up -
    It is a supplementary volume to the '79 Episcopalian BCP, providing Elizabethan language versions of various rites that only appear in modern language (rite II) in that BCP.
    Strange that I haven't been familiar with it.
    Many thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    It seems to have been published by the Church of the Good Shepherd in Rosemont, PA -- which was under Fr. Rutler's pastorate long ago.

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Anglican_Service_Book/special_days.html#easter_vigil
  • MJO: It was the BDW version, before the Ordinariate. There was never any organ used. Just myself and one other flanking the Deacon to keep him on pitch to moving smoothly.
  • CharlesW
    We have an unmatched record for disasters with the Exsultet. Our former pastor's health declined so greatly he went from doing it badly, to doing a small part and getting so winded he had to stop. Year before last, a deacon who has a good voice but doesn't read music sang it. Singing it from memory didn't work well at all. Last year, our then associate sang it with organ accompaniment, still got lost in the middle of it, misread or misheard the building acoustics, and it didn't turn out well. This year, we have a new associate who reads music and can actually sing it. Hope in the Lord and something may eventually go right. Granted, I had cantors who could sing it well in those disastrous years, had I been allowed to use them.
  • chonakchonak
    Does anyone have printing tips for scores that are to be read in low light? Large print? Fluorescent paper? Grey print instead of black?
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    Good time for a small book light. I use larger and darker text.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Charles,

No one who disagrees with you on the point in question has insulted you or questioned your sincerity --- and yet you say this:

! I can just hear the rosary beads rattling and the mantilla rendering by the "elect"

To call this gratuitous is to engage in understatement.

I disagree. The members tend to be very catty towards others who are new, or are asking for things disagree with. While that may not have happened on this thread, there is a history of it here. When I first joined, I almost decided never to come back because of some of the comments. Charles is a long-time member and knows what is and isn't allowed in the rubrics. Yet, the first two answers in this post show no respect, nor acknowledgment, of his long history here, they just in-politely let him know that it's not allowed without finding out why he wants to do so. It amazes me on how little actual Christian charity is seen on Catholic fora.
  • CharlesW
    That was all a little over a year ago. LOL. If you look at my last post, you can see how it has all resolved. For some reason, the folks I have worked for think it has to be sung by a priest or deacon. It does not, but I have had to humor them.

Yet, the first two answers in this post show no respect, nor acknowledgment, of his long history here, they just in-politely let him know that it's not allowed without finding out why he wants to do so. It amazes me on how little actual Christian charity is seen on Catholic fora.

Thanks for the support but I'm a big boy and don't lose any sleep over at least one of those posters. I am often told something can't be done based on his personal preferences or how he thinks it was done in the, I suppose, "good old days." He thinks it is still 1953 and nothing has changed since. It has changed significantly, and true, the suggestions a year ago were not helpful. I bought the Thompson arrangement, the priest got lost in it, and blew it. This year, I have hope since the situation is different.

The organ will have been silent since Holy Thursday and should stay silent until the Gloria on Holy Saturday.

Well, that's no longer true, either. The organ is used to accompany singing on Good Friday. Also for Stations, if they are held.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • a_f_hawkins
    It seems from the discussion here that the answers to the two original questions are 1/ No, 2/ probably not because it's 'forbidden'.
    I had cantors who could sing it well in those disastrous years, had I been allowed to use them.
    That is a sad reflection on the pastoral sensitivity of the parish authorities.
    Question for the moralists: As CharlesW is working in an OF Latin parish, but is not himself of that rite, what degree of obedience ought he to have to the rubrics when contradicted by the celebrant? The Eastern rites tend [rash overstatement] to direct that things can be adapted at the discretion of the 'boss'.
  • A_F_Hawkins,

Some years ago I was asked to sing the Exsultet. This was in an OF circumstance. In an EF circumstance I have been asked to sing one of the parts of the Passion. All those years ago I was oblivious to any rules concerning who could or could not sing. Now, I am not so oblivious to regulations, but when I am asked, I choose to be helpful -- of course a priest must sing Christ, but beyond that, I do as I am bidden.

In a more general vein, though, the question about modifications of the divine liturgy touch on the nature of the liturgy itself. We do not make it, and are not its masters. We receive it, and are the servants of the liturgy (in the sense that it is our duty to convey it, properly whole and entire).
  • CharlesW
    As CharlesW is working in an OF Latin parish, but is not himself of that rite, what degree of obedience ought he to have to the rubrics when contradicted by the celebrant?

In the Exsultet, there is a small section that has to be sung by a priest or deacon. The instructions state to leave it out when no priest or deacon is available. A cantor would do all except for that section, and as I noted, it is short.

In that year ago case, no rubrics were, or would have been violated by accompanying the Exsultet. It is not forbidden, and accompaniment is allowed.

Fortunately, no priest has asked that I do anything in direct violation of rubrics.