Hymn for the Jubilee of Mercy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Are there other examples of implied imperative verbs in Latin?
  • MatthewRoth
    Chris, to your point, I would add that there has to be a primary meaning to hone in on, even if we have more than one correct meaning. We must exclude incorrect meanings. “We are (as) merciful as the Father” strikes me as incorrect, even if the grammar technically works. How can we, each and everyone of us, be currently as merciful as is the Father in the here and now? It seems to be a pat on the back rather than a call to conversion and holiness. The same goes for second-person present renderings.

Fr. Krisman, I suggested “estote” because the verse jn Luke 6 seems to be the Scriptural basis for this text. At the very least the intent seems to be that one thinks of that text when singing the refrain. I think that “may we be as merciful as the Father” could work, but I wish they had picked a meaning and had ran with it. I would have no problem with that as the refrain...if the text said that.
  • ronkrisman
    Matthew, I do not understand why you are now introducing a comparative construct in your translation. I do not believe any of the previous postings on this thread even hinted at a comparison like "May we be as merciful as the Father" or "We are as merciful as the Father." Of course, none of us will ever be as merciful as God is. "Merciful like the Father" is fine; "As merciful as the Father" is not.
  • MatthewRoth
    My mistake. You are right....I misread one of your responses. :P

But I am still not comfortable with it being so loose.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Adam: I found quite a few among the episcopal mottos. Examples: omnes unum in Christo, Misericors et fidelis, Pacificans per sanguinem eius, etc. Same flavour: an adverbial or participal phrase with no verb, and a rich set of possible meanings.

I like it, me. Like all the meanings.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Whatever it is, "Ite, Missa est" does not translate (to me) "Go: She is sent." The "Go:" is correct, but "Missa est" seems to me not much more than "(the) Mass is (accomplished/finished/done/over)."

Indeed, if it meant anything along those lines, it would mean "Go, she was sent." It is a common elementary Latin error to look at the "est" and think that it forms the present passive. Actually, that would be just "mittitur" (one word); "missa est" is in the past tense.

But then, "Go, she was sent" doesn't make much sense as a dismissal, does it? Rather, according to Fortescue:

"Its [missa] meaning and derivation, once much discussed, are not really doubtful. It is a late Latin form for missio [So Collecta, Ascensa, Ingressa, Confessa, etc.] and meant originally merely 'dismissal'. Avitus of Vienne († 523) uses it for the dismissal from churches or law-courts in the most general sense: 'missa fieri pronuniantur' (= the people are dismissed). [Ep. I quoted by Rottmanner: Ueber neuere u. ältere Deutungen des Wortes missa; Tübinger Qtlschr. 1889, pp. 532 seq.] So it occurs constantly for the dismissal of the catechumens in the Eucharistic service. St. Augustine, for instance: 'post sermonem fit missa catechumenorum.'"

Presumably the form was obscure even to people in the middle ages, and would explain why "missa" came to be the name for the Eucharistic service: hearing "Go, it is missa," and being unable to parse the last word, they assumed that that was the name of what what happening.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    "Scram!"
  • ViolaViola
    Getting back to the music, which I recall was how this thread started.........
    personally I think this hymn, though pleasant enough, would be direfully monotonous if one performed the whole 7 minutes of it.
    As an alternative choir piece there is an attractive arrangement of a Cherubini melody, setting the words 'Like as a Father' which is actually a canon, and therefore very appropriate to less experienced singers. If we are to have any sort of 'Year of Mercy' celebration I shall suggest it as an alternative. Maybe people know it?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • JonLaird
    Adam: how about "Sursum corda"?
  • It seems we "might" be using this piece somehow at some Masses during the Year. It has been suggested for example to use it as as "prelude" during Advent. (At my church, a "prelude" is a choir anthem sung before the pre-Mass announcements.) I think it is too long to use at Mass, but probably not all the verses will be sung on a given day.

Is anyone else looking at incorporating it into Sunday Masses? And if so, how?
  • CharlesW

Is anyone else looking at incorporating it into Sunday Masses? And if so, how?

No.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    (Drum roll, please) . . . and now----wait for it, restrain yourselves--- there are official matching vestments to go along with the song!! And there are banners and stoles and posters and books and coffee cups. Someone has said that they've even rolled out chasubles with a rainbow motif. How cute is that? I mean, come on, aren't you just so thrilled and excited????

Just think, everywhere you go during the Year of Mercy, that three-eyed creature will be watching you.

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Maybe I need to buy some gold t-shirts for the occasion. ;-)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Some interesting notes from the rites for the opening and closing of the Holy Doors at each Cathedral or other location the Bishop designates as having a Holy Door:

This hymn is sung before the procession to the Holy Door at the Cathedral for the opening. Antiphons or the Litany of the Saints are given for the procession. There is an antiphon to be sung during the opening of the door and then they give the Entrance Antiphon from the Roman Missal to be sung as the people process into the Cathedral.

For the Mass to close the Holy Door (a Sunday in Ordinary Time next November), the rubrics actually suppress the Introit and say that the hymn for the Year of Mercy is sung to begin Mass.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've been tasked with reporting to pastoral/admin folks what music ministry plans exist for Year of Mercy. So, singing the Inwood hymn once a month isn't a killer. We will likely do the polyphonic in schola, ensembles will do the strophic.
    We're doing other stuff, "stuff," as well.
    Miserere mei.
  • Charles,

Sing Allegri's Miserere as part of the year of mercy.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Y'know, Chris. We just happen to have to high school soprano/sisters whom I suspect can float the ascending octave passage. My wife and daughter have C2's, but not "Kings College" versions. We've done it before. Thanks.
  • Liam
    Just have your sax or electric guitar riff it, right? Something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqxeWupa_e8

• eft94530eft94530
    matthewj (nov 18): For the Mass to close the Holy Door (a Sunday in Ordinary Time next November), the rubrics actually suppress the Introit and say that the hymn for the Year of Mercy is sung to begin Mass.

Nice.
    So the whole world must implement Option Four.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Or, we could just bite the bullet and sing the hymn (sometimes opt. 4 can be our best friend) ;-)

Door-closing music for the introit would stretching the definition of aptness, but here's a recessional (I have fond memories of Jonathan Dimmock accompanying Eil nora in an 18c Viennese fashion):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWmjncxfOU
    and a beautiful Moroccan tune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lUUFNVXNmM
  • Eft,

Source, please, so I can figure out what my EF parish will not do, God willing!

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Door opening and closing only happens at Cathedrals and places designated by the Bishop to have Holy Doors. It probably doesn't apply to you.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • I'm still curious for others to share how and when they're going to put this song into mass?? and how frequently.
  • matthewjmatthewj

For the Mass to close the Holy Door (a Sunday in Ordinary Time next November), the rubrics actually suppress the Introit and say that the hymn for the Year of Mercy is sung to begin Mass.

Nice.
    So the whole world must implement Option Four.

Not really. First of all, not the whole world... just Cathedrals and places with designated Holy Doors. And that rubric might only be in English speaking countries. Or only in the United States. I'm not sure.

Also it can't be "option four" because there are no options given. The Year of Mercy Hymn is made the only option - thus it becomes the proper... sort of... or something...
    Thanked by 2Gavin eft94530
  • Kathy
    I wonder whether a hymn Mass "proper" has ever been mandated before? (Obviously there are mandated hymns, like the mandated sequences.)

• melofluentmelofluent
    Allow me to make the obtuse comment. Perhaps the mandate to use this piece, from top to parish, is a political one.
    Thanked by 2Gavin eft94530
  • CharlesW
    We have no doors that are personally holy, but we do think highly of them - or did. They are 90 years old and failing, so they are all being replaced. It's a $40,000+ job for the new doors, so I wonder... Perhaps we could have a special song for the installation and opening of the would-like-to-be holy new doors? Maybe, "Open the Gates of the Temple." Even that is better than the official hymn.
  • "Swing a new church into being"? Oh, wait. That's been done already.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yeah, in Berlin.
  • ryandryand
    Here's an SAB arrangement.

Works with the existing organ accompaniment, and relies on it (pedal C) in the verses.

(The blank measures are there to remind my non-readers to breathe and/or wait for short interludes that I add on things so that they will breathe...)
  • I've shared these on FaceBook where there has been a discussion on a posting by Adam Bartlett. I included the copyright notice just in case it's needed. It's easy enough to crop it out in MS Paint. I don't mind Mr Inwood's composition - maybe it's not wonderful, but it is singable. Boring? Come on now! When is the last time, as a good Catholic, you chanted a Litany? Said a Rosary? It's meditative and most assuredly Catholic! But I don't see any reason for the congregation to join on the petitions. They're going to be confused enough singing the Antiphon twice rather than repeating it after the Cantor! I am looking for the full text in liturgical Latin - what it should have been authored and composed for in the first place!
    Thanked by 2BruceL smvanroode
  • Carl DCarl D
    We had a chance on Tuesday to sing this hymn, and it was lovely. The petitions were sung by a cantor. People joined in to a certain extent, not bad for its first hearing.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • my childrens schola sang it at our pueri cantores day. It went well, and was easy nough to teach six year olds with only 10 weeks of schola experience. The boys and girls alternated the petitions, with some soloists also.
    It is not awful, by any means, though having practiced it for three weeks I am now very happy to retire it.
  • Does anyone have a source for an all-Latin version of this? My boss is mandating that we do it sometime. One would think that it's been translated into the Church's official language. I'd rather not blow off the pro/recessional spot and do the English version. If I had Latin I could do it for Offertory, which would limit the number of verses.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No. The original text was the Italian/Latin version and I'm guessing that it was never translated to be sung entirely in Latin.
  • In St. Peter's for the opening of the Holy Doors we did the refrain in Latin(over and over and over again!) and the verses were done in 7 or 8 different languages so it was not all in Latin. And I was told by my Latin Professor at the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music that the refrain is missing the verb...
  • Since Adam's observation that the melody is borrowed from a Coke commercial from some decades ago, may I raise the question: "Given that a Coke jingle isn't appropriate for Mass, and given that Palestrina (and many others) took secular melodies and made them fitting to bear the worship of Almighty God, what did these composers do to accomplish the task, and does the hymn for the Year of Mercy live up to these standards?"
  • henry
    I've used it with the adult and school choirs during Sunday Masses when I couldn't find a hymn that reflected the day's Gospel or Communion Antiphon.
  • We've used it throughout the year of mercy, mostly during offertory or communion. At the installation of our new bishop, we used it as the procession (I cut the verses in half, as they feel long in relation to the refrain), with organ and full orchestral accompaniment. It was very well received.

Marc
  • CharlesW
    Still haven't used that hymn, and in three more weeks it will go away for good.
  • I haven't been a fan of this either but we've been doing it a lot, as I was asked to and it made planning easier during a busy time. However I trashed those verses and just did whatever psalm it was from the communion antiphon. (I know, why not just sing the antiphon).

After several months the people finally sing along with the Latin.
  • @afries52 I do the same thing quite a bit. In fact, for Advent I'm using the Taizé "Wait for the Lord" as what I might call a "common Communion antiphon" for the people (I guess similar to what is done in the Graduale Simplex and By Flowing Waters), but with the Psalm verses associated with the antiphon of the day. Maybe not ideal, as you mention, but I guess it's better than some random hymn.