Three cheers for GregoBase
  • Heath
    Just wanted to make sure that all our newer forum readers knew about this incredible site:

http://gregobase.selapa.net/scores.php

A wonderful resource that I use on a weekly basis! Many thanks to the creators of this wonderful site!
  • BenBen
    I use it very often as well. Wonderful resource.
  • bonniebede
    I use it a lot, it is very useful to be able to get the gabc code - especially if I want to change a chant to English for kids to sing. brilliant resource.
  • I like it also...

question for you experienced Gregorio users... how to you get the "comma" in the notation? (like takes the place a of a quarter bar in some chants)?

I cannot find directions on how to code that...

Thanks in advance...
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the current "cheat sheet" of Gregorio notation:
    http://gregoriochant.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/cheat_sheet

The notation for a comma (breath mark) is a left-apostrophe: `
  • OK... here's another one to stump you experts...

Instead of the mode (above the Big first letter of the chant's first word), I'd like to place a special character to denote verse (V.1), but with the funky slash through it... I tried using the special character designation "< s >V/< / s>", but it did not work... (note spaces added so that it would show up in the post...
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I thought it was < sp >V/< sp>.
  • Yes! of course you are correct... I typed that in quickly... but your version doesn't work on the annotation either.
  • name:;
    commentary: Verses;
    annotation:< sp>V/</ sp>.1;
    %%
    (c4)HO(g)lo(fg)causts(g) or(g) sin-(g)of-(g')fer(g)ings(f) you(g) sought(h) not;(g.) *(:) then(g') said(g) I,(h') (`) "Be(f)hold,(g') I(e) come."(e.d.) (::) 4.g ending: ()"Be(f)hold,(g') I(e) come."(e.) (::)

Try this out (removing the extra spaces I had to add for posting here and see what you get... I used this on Richard's gabrielmass site, btw.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Instead of "< sp>V/</ sp>" insert "\mbox{V\kern -.5em /}" (which is a kludge using LaTeX code directly in an \mbox).

The attached PDF illustrates the use of \mbox in the annotation, user-notes, and commentary:

name: Versicle sign ;
    commentary: Charles H. Giffen, \mbox{\sc mmxv} ;
    user-notes: Anon. \mbox{\sc xviii. s.} ;
    annotation: \mbox{V\kern -.5em /} ;
    centering-scheme: Latin ;
    score-copyright: Charles H. Giffen ;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: urw-garamond;
    %%
    (c4) DId(ge) this(fe) re(f)pro(fh)duce(ghwi) the(hj) de(ig)sired(hvFED) re(df)sult?(f.) (::)
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    In the annotation, use \Vbar;
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    My hero! Thank you!
    How to make a lower case number in the annotation? When I have entered a lower case letter, it always ends up upper case in the result...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How to make a lower case number in the annotation? When I have entered a lower case letter, it always ends up upper case in the result...

It seems that "viii" in the annotation field produces the "lower case" small caps version of VIII, so instead use: \mbox{\rm viii} to get the lowercase Roman numeral "viii" in the annotation. The "\rm" inside the \mbox invokes the normal ("roman") text font rather than the smallcaps font "\sc".
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
    so many little tricks...
  • chonakchonak
    Please note: those tricks with the "annotation" header line work only within the Gregorio web interface. When users have the Gregorio app installed locally, those header lines are only treated as documentation. To produce the markup desired in that case, the user can edit his main LaTeX document file.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The tricks I gave work well enough for those who are not able to use LaTeX directly. Of course, a LaTeX user can do all sorts of things. Indeed, using an \mbox is simply a way of embedding some (La)TeX code that gets passed on to LaTeX.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    How do I find the listing/code for certain psalm tones?
    Specifically, the one offered in the LU as the psalm-tone version of the Palm Sunday tract?
    (I assume that using such would be the easiest way to write up the English translation, rather than photoshopping it.)

Oh, I think I found it, here: http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/psalmtone.html
    It doesn't understand English vowels, though. Is there a good way to do this that I don't know of?
  • BenBen
    English psalm pointing isn't quite as easy to simply program, as there's no set methodology like there is for the latin.