Access to Armenian Orthodox funeral music
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I just received a request to provide some vocal music for a gravesite service conducted by an Armenian Orthodox priest.
    Now, I know I'm right in the middle of a huge Armenian demographic in CenCa, but I wouldn't have an idea where to start if I am asked to sing something authentic. Can do in Spanish, Portuguese and German, but is there repertoire which is essentially Armenian but perhaps translated into English out there? Got til' Tuesday night if anyone has any pdf's handy.
    Thanks,
    Charlie
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Surely the local Saroyan society could help you out better than I can. Start getting ready for that next gig now is my advice.
  • Chris_McAvoyChris_McAvoy
    I would ask on the www.orthodoxchristianity.net/ message board, several knowlegeable armenians hang out on there. I do not think people here can answer that question. My educated guess, having looked into Armenian liturgical music before, is that it does not exist in english. I think you will have an easier time to singing it Armenian.

Since Armenians have been such a persecuted people whose culture is in danger of dying out, they tend to use far less english than any other eastern Orthodox church. What you would hope is that you can find the Armenian language translated into the latin alphabet - or pay someone to write it underneath for whatever it is to be sung. For a newcomer the armenian alphabet is harder to learn than the greek or cyrillic alphabets (greek alphabet is actually quite easy). The Greek Orthodox Church had a latin alphabet for the greek words on some of it's music in the USA by the 1950's about 30 years before much of it had been adapted to english. Having their same traditional melodies put on staff notation with latin alphabet but still in greek was an easy and successful compromise.