• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How mighty are the farfallen!
    Thanked by 2janetgorbitz BruceL
  • chonakchonak
    [slow applause]
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    *crickets chirping*
  • Bob_Cook
    I'm going to the chant intensivethe week before the Colloquium. During the Colloquium I'll be next door at the international barbershop convention. I do hope to attend at least one Mass at which the Colloquium attendees are providing the music.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • mahrt
    "Farfalle is the least desirable pasta ever imagined." It all depends on the sauce.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "Farfalle is the least desirable pasta ever imagined." It all depends on the sauce.

That sounds like a challenge... or at least an invitation to dinner.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    A masterful arrangement of "All are welcome" would still be "All are welcome", whereas the same talent applied to more worthy material could be impressive indeed. Same sauce, different pasta.
  • BruceL
    matthewj you really need to get rid of these terrible opinions now that you're a naturalized citizen.
  • Matthew- accept Mahrt's dinner invitation posthaste.
    He's a wonderful cook with engaging conversation!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well.. I don't think it was a legitimate invitation to dinner...
  • mahrt
    Consider it an invitation.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Surely Piccolo Forno, if anyplace, could redeem the beleaguered farfalle.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Piccolo Forno is such an amazing place... I still dream of this mushroom crepe thing they made.

Also the Sharp Edge Bistro (closer to campus) gets a very honorable mention for an amazing tap list and very satisfying high end bar food.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    IIRC, there is (was) a very nice bistro where the staff wore red shirts below the Power Building.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    IIRC, there is (was) a very nice bistro below the Power Building where the staff wore red shirts below the Power Building.

Word order is everything!
    Thanked by 2melofluent eft94530
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    I think it was a Starbuck's... it was generally open during business hours, but not late, as I recall... I could be mistaken...
  • SalieriSalieri
    I can't imagine calling Barstucks a "nice little bistro". I would hope that Melo has better taste than that!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It wasn't a Starbucks (which I don't frequent.) It was "The Red Ring." As it was summer their hours weren't steady, but it had a nice bar, atmosphere and good staff. Wendy and I visited just once, I believe it was Dusquesne I Colloquium. Might not have been there next summer as we stayed in the hotel the second time around.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    http://redringrestaurant.com/

had to look it up... you are right... it looks very nice. PS: Wish you and Wendy could come this year...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Janet. You, Mary W and MJB (and maybe Richard C?) have done a marvelous service to CMAA/RCC in taking the helm of colloquium organization. We wish we could come back as, like Meloche, we have an affection for Pittsburgh that is inexplicable. I would remind those going that if you cross the bridge nearest the university, there's a neighborhood full of great steakhouses, pubs and lots of people watching.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I recommend also to go up to Mount Washington, visit St. Paul of the Cross and see Pittsburgh from there. It is really a beautiful place. Or go to Squirrel Hill and visit some wonderful Jewish delis.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • Mount Washinton is tall, but I don't imagine you can see Pittsburg from it.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, you can. Mt. Washington faces Duquesne.
  • Heath
    I will regrettably miss the Colloquium this year. My fifth child is due in the next couple weeks and I'll have an angry spouse if I try to bail on her for a whole week!

I'll be thinking of you all that week and I would appreciate your prayers for a healthy baby and mama at the end of this month!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • canadashcanadash
    Congratulations Heath! How exciting. I sympathize with your wife. Prayers!
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My fifth child is due in the next couple weeks and I'll have an angry spouse if I try to bail on her for a whole week!

O Heath, let this old codger tell his tale: I was playing bass for NALR/SLJ's in Chicago NPM 79. Our third daughter was overdue, but Wendy said you gotta go. I went.
    2nd day of NPM, Bob Dufford chased me down to tell me Wendy'd gone into the backyard after her water broke, sidled up to a big log and had MoMo Native American Style! (Most of this is true, I'll tell ya the real story face to face next time.)
    Thanked by 2janetgorbitz Heath
  • JesJes
    Is there still Bow tie Friday this year?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Won't be able to attend this year. Other priorities call on our funds. Haven't been to Colloquium since 2000, when it was at Christendom's campus, and we sang a Viadana piece I still have in my library (but can't remember the name) at St James' parish in (?Falls Church?).

My director may be attending though, so someone has to mind the store while he's away.

• CCoozeCCooze
    I wanted to go this year. I've never been.
    But now I have an infant, and a sibling getting married 13 hours away.
    Maybe next time..