Palm Sunday entrance antiphons easily singable in procession?
  • We are going to attempt to do the Palm Sunday procession by the book this year with most, if not all, of the entrance antiphons (i.e, no All Glory Laud and Honor). Can anyone recommend a good English setting of these antiphons in English? We normally use the Lalemant Propers, but want something a little fancier for this feast, yet still easy enough to sing while we're walking around. Maybe something close to the Gregorian melodies?
  • You could look at the Lumen Christi Missal. The chants of Palm Sunday can be found online.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • All the Palm Sunday chants adapted to English are to be found in Palmer-Burgess' Plainchant Gradual, available as a reprint from the CMAA.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Antiphons at the beginning and during the distribution of Palms are "Hosanna filio David", "Pueri Hebraeorum portantes" and "Pueri Hebraeorum vestimenta", while the Hymn to Christ the King for the procession is "Gloria, laus, et honor", which in English is well translated (by J.M. Neale, in 76. 76. D meter) as the familiar "All Glory, Laud, and Honor".

The Illuminare settings in English are good, in fact very good; however, I find the English translation of the hymn, while faithful, somewhat stilted.
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • JonLaird
    It seems that they used the ICEL translations from the Missal, but used their own melodies.

(Edit: Melodies for Hosanna and for the refrain of the hymn are ICEL. Melody for verses is not ICEL.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • rogue63
    Aristotle Esguerra has an excellent setting of both of these in his Choral Graduale Simplex. They worked quite well for our outdoor procession last year.
  • Yes, Aristotle's collection is also excellent and shouldn't be overlooked. Palm Sunday starts at page 58.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Heath
    I adapted Fr. Columba Kelly's congregational chant and had some gals toss some verses between each antiphon.
  • ICEL has a bunch of the Holy Week music up on their website, http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php

Way down at the very bottom.
  • fcbfcb
    I realize the OP was a request for suggestions and not for discussion of the merits of the decision, but I'm wondering why one would not use "All Glory, Laud and Honor"? It is a translation of a text that is in the Missal, so in that sense it is certainly "by the book." I could understand if you had decided to use strictly Latin or only the original Gregorian melodies, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It is certainly singable in procession and, in my experience, beloved by the people. I don't really see the rationale for the change.
  • Heath
    Speaking for myself, we process from an area about a block away from the church . . . we use the chant I posted above during the procession, and, once the congregation hits the doors to the church, we segue into "All Glory, Laud."
  • Thanks, everyone, for the good ideas so far. Good question about why we wouldn't use All Glory, Laud, and Honor. Yes, it is a good translation of the Procession hymn, Hymnus ad Christum Regnum, but I'm just this year learning that there are two other antiphons with verses that come before that (not counting the Opening Hosana Filio David) plus the Ingrediente Domino, which concludes the procession. I have never seen these done in my diocese, but our rector wants to break new (old) ground here at our principal Mass that has the long procession, so I'm supporting him. We will probably have to make cuts, as we do not have that far to walk. We will use All Glory, Laud, and Honor as a good choice for the other Masses that weekend.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Is the procession starting outdoors? If so, you should consider seeding parts of your choir in groups amid the congregational line, because unaccompanied non-metrical music unravels quickly when the line attenuates to get inside. That's a situation where a metrical hymn like AGL&H works MUCH better.