Joyful Catholics
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Funny you mention the Koch brothers and WI's governor ... All are people I hold in quite low esteem.

And that revelation you felt necessary to share with us and the cosmos adds what to all our benefit?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Shall we change the thread to "Grumpy Catholics", Charles?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Anything you want, William, use the force.
  • PGA, let me add to dad's input my own observations about traddies and preppers. I work in a FSSP parish and have for six years. Though I embrace the traditions of the Church, I adamantly do not wish to use the term "traditionalist" applied to myself. I am Catholic, and that is enough for me, even in this age of... significant ecclesial identity crisis.

I regularly- several times a week- socialize with both traddies and preppers, Their children come to my home, and mine to theirs, I eat with them and talk with them, etc. I have to say that your comments on this thread- and other threads- do not align with my observations.

Assuming you are of good will and not like some of our fellow Catholics who use the trad community as their go-to scapegoat, I wonder if your immediate circle of trad and prepper friends are uncommonly reactionary, or if perhaps you associate with such folks but don't know them as friends or listen to the nuances of their positions.
  • In my experience, I've found saying "Catholic" is simply not enough, so it's good to distinguish between traditional Catholics and traditionalists, the latter being the kind about whom PGA speaks. I identify with the former in that I prefer the EF, wish the consilium hadn't gone so far, and view V2 and the catechism through the lens of Tradition. I do this cheerily, and am rarely gloomy/grumpy except perhaps due to lack of sleep. I do not decry V2 nor the OF as invalid, nor do I believe the papacy is vacant as do (some) traditionalists.
  • PGA, let me add to dad's input my own observations about traddies and preppers. I work in a FSSP parish and have for six years. Though I embrace the traditions of the Church, I adamantly do not wish to use the term "traditionalist" applied to myself. I am Catholic, and that is enough for me, even in this age of... significant ecclesial identity crisis.

I agree. I hate the labels, and that's why I only use them in quotation marks. One is either Catholic or not - there are not political "parties" within Catholicism. However, it seems that sometimes I have to engage in the labels for clarity.

I regularly- several times a week- socialize with both traddies and preppers, Their children come to my home, and mine to theirs, I eat with them and talk with them, etc. I have to say that your comments on this thread- and other threads- do not align with my observations.

Your experience is uniquely yours; I cannot disprove it, nor is there anything to be disproven. It is your experience. I suspect that my view is a bit different because I'm "on the outside looking in."

Assuming you are of good will and not like some of our fellow Catholics who use the trad community as their go-to scapegoat, I wonder if your immediate circle of trad and prepper friends are uncommonly reactionary, or if perhaps you associate with such folks but don't know them as friends or listen to the nuances of their positions.

Anything is possible; there's not a whole lot of nuance to be read into "We're praying that this pontificate is a short one."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Clemens Romanus, I think I fall into the same category of traditional Catholicism, a Vatican II traditional Catholic, or something like that---squeezed somewhere in between Right of Center and Uber Right on the political/ecclesiastical spectrum. I don't know what the correct label is for that particular niche; maybe one hasn't been invented yet: how about 'Trad Vat Catholic' ?

P.S. I'm not gloomy either, the title of this thread is taken from a recent papal sermon. We're far from gloomy in our house---in fact, my son and daughter's band was playing "Happy" this afternoon in the basement and we were all rocking and rolling along with it. This ought to be the theme song for Trad Vat Catholics:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't know what the correct label is for that particular niche;

Sane.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • As a local curmudgeon, there are nevertheless some things I'm not gloomy or grumpy about. As folks around here are trying to describe the "spectrum", by the way, I'm a Tradition-minded Catholic.

God is in charge. (cause for joy and hope)
    "In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph" (also cause for joy and hope)
    Ready access to the celebration of the beautiful Mass of all time. (cause for supreme joy)
    Vespers (cause for great wonder)

I used to stay after Mass occasionally, to enjoy lunch with the "Thursday-lunch crowd". This is the crowd about whom PGA writes. It is tiny, but it is also insular, impervious to reason --- because the purpose of the gathering isn't reason. At the heart of the same-conversation-week-after-week is a kind of Gnosticism. It's not a kind of Catholic thought, because that's not its raison d'etre. It's an odd kind of reflexive patriotism.

Since I studied at Oberlin (which could be described as many things, but a hotbed of traditional Catholic thought isn't one of them) I saw the same conversation take place, but the vocabulary was different. It is as if the story has already been written, and only the details need to be added.

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Fides, spes, caritas et veritas, et Missa cantata et musica sacra laetificant cor meum.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I quote the motto of Charles Tournemire regarding this discussion:
    Per aspera spera!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I always liked the more difficult version: "Per aspera ad astra"
  • As a traddish Catholic of prepperish habits, I can say this: I have some social media friends who are waist deep in the Big Muddy, and pushing on. I don't place much stock in St. Malachy's pope list (the more orthodox equivalent of the quatrains of Nostradamus), nor have I stocked blessed candles for the Three Days Darkness. I consider it likely that major tribulation will occur in my time (though less likely that the End Times will come). I consider it a certainty that my personal End Times will come. If our love of God is a form of fire insurance, we can do better. If we tell ourselves stories about the Antichrist for the adrenaline rush, we're not much better than any other junkie. Chop wood, draw water.
  • What's a prepper?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Matt Meloche in a Lacoste polo shirt and sweater, with a 600 square foot bunker of freeze dried food, lots of water and a serious outhouse under his condo.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What's a prepper?

People who prepare for disaster as a lifestyle choice.
    Thanked by 1Torculus
  • SalieriSalieri
    People who prepare for disaster as a lifestyle choice.

like a Church Organist?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    people who prepare for [disaster as a lifestyle choice] --- organist

people who [prepare for disaster] as a lifestyle choice --- prepper
  • My wife and I are busy prepping for a traditional Christmas, which we expect to joyfully celebrate with both our immediate and extended family. May the Lord enable you to set aside your gloominess and experience His peace during this holy season. Merry Christmas to you all.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Such a kind thought! Many thanks and Christmas blessings to you and yours! By the way, as I've pointed out several times, the title of this thread (Gloomy Catholics) was extracted from a recent papal sermon. I certainly don't identify myself as such, although it's possible that Catholics of my ideological slant might be reflexively included under that heading by some.

I'll be happy to change the title to be more in keeping with the blessed Christmas season. I think we've all had enough time to reflect on how we can cope with the current modus operandi without losing our joy and serenity. My thanks to all who contributed their thoughts and suggestions. I very much appreciate your candour and thoughtfulness.
  • francis
    Julie, the term is "funeral face."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I like Pope Francis. He seems to be a no nonsense type of person who is doing his best to root out the corruption and greed that exists in the Vatican.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm behind our Holy Father all the way as he attempts to bring true reform and renewal to both the Vatican and the wider Church. He certainly can't be accused of being overly concerned with "winning friends and influencing people."

However, since the German bishops are now openly talking about legalizing divorce, and Cardinal Kasper claims he has the Pope's full support, I hope our dear Papa Bergogio will also clear this troublesome little matter up satisfactorily when he gets the chance.

After all, I'm sure we can all agree that keeping the sixth and ninth commandments intact is part of any comprehensive plan for Church renewal.
  • dad29
    I'm sure we can all agree that keeping the sixth and ninth commandments intact is part of any comprehensive plan for Church renewal.

Yes.

Sigh.

DRAT!!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yep, just imagine how fine life could be if we could shred the Ten Commandments and throw out all those outdated rules and regulations. Yee-haw.
  • CharlesW
    Yep, just imagine how fine life could be if we could shred the Ten Commandments and throw out all those outdated rules and regulations. Yee-haw.

Party at Julie's place - pass the word! LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    But really, Charles, I swear all we did was drink sparkling white grape juice and watch a riveting documentary on the Battle of Midway so it was a very mild party.: )
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Yep, just imagine how fine life could be if we could shred the Ten Commandments and throw out all those outdated rules and regulations

Just like neopaganism, but with worse music. :-)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    If things proceed along as Cardinals Marx and Kasper et al. have proposed, it'll be like going back to the future, or as Bishop Athanasius Schneider put it, we're headed to "the fourth great crisis in the Church," similar to the time of the Arian heresy.

But then again, what remains to be seen is how their proposal will fare in Synod XV . . .

Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    JulieColl:

I think people are waking up. What we have now is material heresy, and it is about to graduate to formal heresy.

It's good to brush up on the terms and understanding what they mean here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07256b.htm#REF_III
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, dear Francis, I would prefer to stay with His Eminence Cardinal Mueller who has described this proposal to allow Communion for the divorced and remarried as heretical. As to the inside baseball of precisely when heretical statements become material heresy or formal heresy, I'm sure Cardinals Mueller, Burke, Brandmuller, Pell, Caffara, De Paolis, et al., will let us know if and when the unhappy moment comes upon us.

I am praying that Papa Francesco will in the end bring all this "diabolical disorientation" (cf. Blessed Paul VI) to a screeching halt.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    I am praying that Papa Francesco will in the end bring all this "diabolical disorientation" (cf. Blessed Paul VI) to a screeching halt.

I wish I could share your confidence. I am afraid he will canonize Paul VI and make things far worse than they ever were before.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    How about a split decision: although it's not on my top ten things to do in the Church list, if the Holy Father decides to canonize Pope Paul VI, I'll be happy to accept it.

However, following the admonition of canon law to make my thoughts concerning the needs of the Church known to my legitimate pastors, I'd respectfully ask the Pope to leave the divine law on marriage and the family intact.

If God tells us through the mouth of the prophet, "I hate divorce," then maybe Cardinal Kasper's proposed agenda deserves to be deep-sixed as soon as possible. After all, believing in the Ten Commandments is still pretty mainstream for Catholics, I would think.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you, JulieColl, but I unfortunately think more like Charles. However, God is above all things, and He is capable of miracles. Keep praying JulieColl... keep praying!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Francis,

Remember the announcement of Our Lady of Fatima: many souls will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer; in the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph.

evidently, we're not at the end yet.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl francis
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, indeed, Chris, Our Lady's words at Fatima and Akita have certainly been on my mind, too, and who can't help but be affected by the recent words of that man of immense gravitas, Cardinal Burke: "I am very worried"?
  • kevinfkevinf
    http://www.theamericanconservative.com/a-catholic-showdown-worth-watching/
    From the American point of view with some connections to the above.
  • francis
    Interesting article, Kevin. But there are not just two camps.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I loved that article the first time I read it, Kevin, moreso just now, the second.
    francis, I don't believe the author boiled it down to just two. And I think there's a great deal more intracacy (sp?) involved in the realtionship called "America and Catholicism" that goes much further back in history than WW's I and II.
  • francis
    Francis,

Remember the announcement of Our Lady of Fatima: many souls will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer; in the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph.

evidently, we're not at the end yet.

Yes, indeed, Chris, Our Lady's words at Fatima and Akita have certainly been on my mind, too, and who can't help but be affected by the recent words of that man of immense gravitas, Cardinal Burke: "I am very worried"?

Yes, you two are correct. I am thinking the same things all the time, and now it all seems to be materializing before us. Ave Maria.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the links to the great articles. I think Rod Dreher's analysis is very accurate and reflects my own observations very well. About fifteen years ago all the conservative Catholics I knew could be easily placed in one ideological camp; we were all basically pro-life Reagan/Buchanan Republicans with growing families and voting for a pro-life Republican was pretty much our highest priority, but the cracks appeared when "conservatives" wholeheartedly embraced the so-called War on Terror, waterboarding POW's and trillion-dollar deficits.

That's when big differences first appeared among the conservatives I knew, and shortly after that, with the promulgation of Summorum Pontificum and the increased availability of the Latin Mass, the conservatives I knew took different paths again. I can say almost to a man, that the "neocon" "Bush" Catholics pretty much stayed with the OF while the "Buchanan" conservatives began attending the EF. I know it's too simple and trite to make distinctions like that, but that was pretty much my experience.

I fear another split is imminent; while discussing with a very good, upstanding conservative friemd the upcoming Synod XV and the German bishops' open proposal to legalize Catholic divorce, things took a very uncomfortable turn. It was plain to all concerned that we didn't see eye to eye on the issue, and he was fully prepared to modulate as needed to keep things peaceful and practical. I was reminded of Cardinal Ratzinger's phrase, "the pragmatism of the affluent," and the tendency to make maintaining peace with the establishmet the highest priority. For his part, I'm sure he was equally annoyed by my "rigidity" and "intransigence."

Whether or not this issue of Holy Communion for the divorced and remarried will tear apart the lay faithful as it has begun publicly dividing cardinals and bishops, is anybody's guess, but I'm afraid the political/ideological/philosophical/doctrinal fault lines are already in place and a showdown of some sort is coming.
  • The problem arises when some suppose that they are holier and know better than the Church.

Bishop Morlino of Madison, WI put it nicely when someone asked him about Pope Francis and the fact that many "traditionalist Catholics" don't like him; they asked him what he says to those Catholics. Morlino said "I tell them, 'he's the pope; if you don't agree with him, the problem is with you, not him.'"
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, PGA, I'm glad to hear that you think we should agree with the Pope, and I too believe that and have all my life. So, in the spirit of what you have just said, I have a few questions for you:

Do you agree with God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit who declared and revealed that marriage is indissoluble, who also said, "I hate divorce," through the mouth of the Old Testament prophet, and who also said, "If you love me, keep my commandments," and who also said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but not one jot nor tittle of the Law will pass away"?

Do you feel that we are required to "agree" with every single pope in the history of the Catholic Church who has upheld the indissolubility of marriage?

Do you feel that you need to agree with every cardinal, bishop, doctor of the Church, ecumenical council, encyclical, apostolic exhortation, etc., which has upheld the divine mandate concerning the indissolubility of marriage?

Do you agree with St. John Paul II who in his magisterium upheld the divine law concerning the indissolubility of marriage just 33 years ago in Familiaris Consortio?

Do you agree with St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More who died rather than accept a dishonest and immoral contradiction betraying the indissolubility of marriage?

So, PGA, if you agree with all of the above, what exactly is the "problem"? How can we be holier than the Church if we're simply agreeing with the Ten Commandments and what the Church has always taught?
  • francis
    PGA

The problem isn't that anyone thinks they are holier than the church, but that they are devoted to the Church and her tradition, even if a pope veers away from it. From the article above.

...the idolisation of canonical, procedural or doctrinal ‘obedience’ as the pre-eminent virtue even above Faith, Hope and Charity.

UPDATE

I was typing this as JulieColl posted above and beat me to it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't want to dampen the progress here, Julie, but as I read through your queries I couldn't help but have a very Francis-like (I think) reaction- "This sounds remniscent of the Pharisees' semantical trap they thought would cleverly trick our Lord into betraying Himself," ie. Which is the greatest commandment?
  • francis
    ... and hence why it is becoming clearer and clearer that a divide is occuring, and many will blindly follow a prelate, even if he goes off a theological cliff.

But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?
  • CharlesW
    ... and hence why it is becoming clearer and clearer that a divide is occuring, and many will blindly follow a prelate, even if he goes off a cliff.

Not me! If he goes off that cliff, he does it alone. LOL.
  • francis
    I pray for the grace to remain faithful.
  • CharlesW
    “I do not think there are many among Bishops that will be saved, but many more that perish.”
    St. John Chrysostom

Don't put your trust in princes or prelates. Only trust Christ!
    Thanked by 1francis