Should there be organ music during the Exchange of Peace?
  • In my parish I do not "doodle" during the Peace. I am playing a mass for a friend while he's on vacation and he gave me very detailed instructions about when to begin, when to begin modulating to the intro of the Lamb of God and when to add stops, etc. I'd doing as he asked, but began to wonder if there is anything definitive for, or against, this practice.
  • No. There should not be any music during the sign of peace.
    Thanked by 1ChapmanGonzalez
  • TCJ
    Unfortunate though. It'd be nice to have a distraction from the distraction.
  • BenBen
    I think it's rather silly, in the context of the OF. For one, the sign of peace should be a brief, sober rite, according to the "traditional practice of the roman rite" (GIRM no. 42).

But if (a big IF) you take for granted that the sign of peace will oddly be extended, looking at the context of the EF where organ improvisation frequently happened over other actions, I think you could actually make a decent case for it.
    Thanked by 1ChapmanGonzalez
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    No. Yes.

Seriously. That's how we do it. No music during the first part, but as the priest moves to the tabernacle I begin an improv on the Agnus Dei.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not trying to stifle or censor further discussion, but why is this question necessary?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • In a word: NO!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Happily, at my parish the sign of piece is a brief rite: nobody wanders around, there's no chatting, the sign of peace is only exchanged with people in one's immediate vicinity. After less then a minute or so, the choir starts singing the Agnus Dei right away, which demands the participation of the people, and the sign of peace comes quickly to an end.

Why is this question necessary? The Rite of Peace should be brief and sober. Brief, because the sign of peace is only to be offered to those who are nearest. Sober, because the liturgical law asks for it. GIRM 82 says:

It is appropriate that each person, in a sober manner, offer the sign of peace only to those who are nearest.

Sacramentum Caritatis 49 confirms:

Even so, during the Synod of Bishops there was discussion about the appropriateness of greater restraint in this gesture, which can be exaggerated and cause a certain distraction in the assembly just before the reception of Communion. It should be kept in mind that nothing is lost when the sign of peace is marked by a sobriety which preserves the proper spirit of the celebration, as, for example, when it is restricted to one's immediate neighbours.

Organ improvisation covering the sign of peace doesn't communicate this brief and sober character which is proper to the rite. Contrary, it confirms and maybe encourages an exaggeration of the rite, and might even add to the ‘distraction in the assembly’.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Michael
    I do agree!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Once I see the priest returning to the altar for the Fraction I begin the intro to the Agnus, this curtails the Pax and we can move on; I've seen some places where the priest goes back to the altar and everyone just waits until the Pax is over (5 minutes some times) and then the Fraction and Agnus are begun.

Use the Agnus Intro to put an End to Peace!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    I don't play anything during the sign of peace. When the priest turns and goes to the tabernacle, I begin the Lamb of God. I have been told to not let the peace greeting go on so long it turns into a glad-handing session.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "There should not be any ... sign of peace." FIFY, ContraB.
    Seriously... an improvisation could prolong the Pax. If you give folks enough time to greet their most immediate, and then start the Agnus (or an intro to the Agnus), they'll get the message.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    What really put a damper on the Sign of Peace at local parishes here was the hepatitis scare a few years ago (which happened at my parish). After that, the hand-shaking turned into polite waves from a distance, similar to this:

. . . and industrial-sized bottles of hand sanitizer appeared everywhere.

P.S. And a conspicuous hand-sanitizing ritual has evolved for Eucharistic ministers as they arrive at the altar.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • kenstb
    Under normal circumstances, I don't play any music during the sign of peace because it is supposed to be brief. I am also watching the priest intently so as to begin the Agnus Dei on time. Nevertheless, depending upon the priest, sometimes the sign of peace is extended. Some celebrants actually leave the sanctuary to exchange the sign of peace with the congregation. In those cases, I will improvise on the introduction to the Agnus Dei until the priest returns to the sanctuary.
  • GavinGavin
    "he gave me very detailed instructions about when to begin, when to begin modulating to the intro of the Lamb of God and when to add stops, etc."

It's the worship of Almighty God, not a Broadway production.
  • RMSawicki
    My first master, immediately after "Let us offer each other the sign of peace", would draw the Pedal 16' Subbass and Swell 8' Viola (box nearly closed) and maintain a gentle, "meditative", continuous improvisation all the way through the "Lord I Am Not Worthy" to the beginning of the Communion chant. If there was no choral singing during Communion, he would then return to the quiet, meditative mode until the closing of the Tabernacle. (Other quiet registrations were used at times, "Vaporizing on the Voix Celeste", etc.)

I must say that it DEFINITELY added to the quiet, contemplative atmosphere, and did not allow for any cacophonous "chattiness" to emerge during Communion.

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • ghmus7
    The problem is that the s.o.p. is supposed to be as described above, brief.
    However many parishes turn it into a party and start ordering out etc.
    Why is it ness. to greet all 10 people on the right, left front and behind?