Need Spanish Funeral Propers for tomorrow
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Hey folks, I was just informed I'm singing at an all Spanish funeral tomorrow. The family, and consequently the Pastor, is adamant that everything be in Spanish. Does anyone have the GS propers in Spanish, or even psalm 23. I need the plainchant. Thanks!!!
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I'm sorry I can't help you. I know there's someone working on a Spanish adaptation of the Graduale Simplex, but the Missa pro defunctis isn't yet part of it.
    The Ordinary will definitely come in handy. Thanks.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Here is one ordinary. I am working quickly on the propers.
    Thanks!
  • Paul F. Ford
    All I could get done was Psalm 23 (22 in the Vulgate).
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Richard Mix
    Perfect! Thank you!
  • ronkrisman
    A few observations for Paul:

1. I believe the great majority of Spanish speakers would elide "Bendito_el" in the Santo, and the "Éste_es" in the priest's introductions to the memorial acclamations.

2. The musical setting of "resurrección" in the memorial acclamation puts an incorrect stress on the third syllable, making the word similar to our English one. Technically, Spanish does not have secondary accents in multi-syllable words. But, for musical purposes such accents are often called for (two or four syllables before the actual accented syllable). In the case at hand, it is better to set the word as "re-sú-rrec-ción" (in other words, no two notes on "rrec-").

3. Since Spanish uses the acute accent as an element of its orthography, a pointing system which uses acute and grave accents will at times be ambiguous and confusing (e.g, is a particular acute accent used for pointing the text or is it part of the correct spelling of the word?). I would recommend a different pointing system.

4. a_es-ta-ble-cer (correct syllabification)

5. last verse of psalm 23, this pointing is better, IMO: por a-ños sin tér-mi-no.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen