Ignatius Pew Missal
  • We introduced the Ignatius Pew Missal at Blessed Sacrament Church in Seattle the first Sunday of Advent (2015) with GREAT affect! The congregation adapted immediately to singing the Antiphons with absolutely no issues regarding the square note notation. As a matter of fact, several parishioners have commented in recent weeks that they find the square notes easier to read and sing. I could not be more pleased! I highly recommend this resource for Novus Ordo parishes.
  • Very happy to hear that it's going so well. Hope honeymoon is long and fruitful.

• I think the term "liturgical minimalism" serves very well in the instance of this pew missal. Sure, it's better than lame music. But it's so simplified, so reduced, that it's boring music.

Efforts like this make me wonder about the tendency to prize singing participation for its own sake, as if it's the top priority. This approach is at odds with celebrating or even utilizing the treasury of sacred music in order to praise God. You can't have both- the musical structure of the mass isn't set up that way. All do their own part, and weave their own threads in the tapestry of the sung sacred liturgy.

People worked hard to produce this hymnal, and try to steer away from the sacro-pop trends, and I appreciate that. I simply find the impetus for this kind of work to be greatly misguided and do not think it holds a realistic promise for restoring chant and splendor in the sacred liturgy.
  • MaryAnn,

So -- that would make your vote a cold glass of water, splashed in the face?

Is the "good" becoming the enemy of the better?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I simply find the impetus for this kind of work to be greatly misguided and do not think it holds a realistic promise for restoring chant and splendor in the sacred liturgy.

This book weans people off the quarterly throwaways with the extremely poor choice of music and paraphrased psalms. At no more cost that the quarterly throwaways.

But it's so simplified, so reduced, that it's boring music.

Which greatly increases the possibility that people will sing.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar mloucks
  • Noel,

What would you make of my general operating principle that the present step could be the last, so never introduce something not worthy of being the end of the process?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • We have been using this publication for two years now and have absolutely loved it, although it could use more hymns and chants (which we supplement with SMH). All in all, both the choir and congregation are easily able to sing the antiphons. The simple tones are people friendly. Bravo to Ignatius Press!
  • ...introduced with GREAT affect!

(Purple if you wish -
    I would be interested to know with what particular 'GREAT affect' you made this introduction. It must have been quite a sight! I am happy for you, though, that, whatever it was, it seems to have been effective.

(Seriously -
    Considering what's available, I should have to say that the St Ignatius Pew Missal is one of the very best such missal-hymnals that are to be had. You are not the only one to whom many have said that square notes were easier. I've heard this off and on all my adult life. Congratulations!
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks to mloucks for the comment!
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • What would you make of my general operating principle that the present step could be the last, so never introduce something not worthy of being the end of the process?

Not much, honestly. If that is the decision, all parishes would have throw-away missallettes with crummy music forever.
  • francis
    I totally concur with MACW... the focus on minimalism in chant is the problem with the plethora of 'new resources' that steer toward orthodoxy. The real danger with it is that one has a 'good' excuse to never graduate to the real thing. That is true crime.

Taize is another good example of 'tased' chant. BORRRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGG! (and Mozart is boring too, while I am at it - [running like h***! and ducking])
  • a_f_hawkins
    Taize chant is excellent, for Taize and its constant stream of mostly young pilgrims. It does not work well at Iona because the climate is different. It is not intended for sustaining an adult community week after week. The same could be said of the Rosary, there are circumstances where repeating the same prayer 50 or 150(200) times is appropropriate, but the Mass is not one of them. If a congregation is unused to chant you have to start with simple stuff, but then MOVE ON.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • After six - seven short weeks of using the Ignatius Pew Missal, our Novus Ordo Parish (Blessed Sacrament Parish - Seattle) has embraced the singing of ALL the Entrance Antiphons and Communion Antiphons (in lieu of hymns). We have not abandoned hymns entirely...singing a Prelude Hymn and a "Hymn of Praise" weekly from the SM Hymnal. The excitement surrounding the singing of the Antiphons has marked the recent introduction of singing the CREDO ("Simple" and "Credo" III") as well as the Pater Noster(!). These developments within our parish opened the door to our inclusion of two Gregorian Masses from the SM Hymnal for the entire Christmas Season AND our Pastor then agreed to Ad orientem celebrations of the Mass (both Latin and English) for the Solemnity of the BVM, Mother of God. Glorious! The Pew Missal (contrary to comments above) has done nothing to hinder our weekly inclusion of 4-8 part Polyphony, Motets neither our regular singing from the Dominican Graduale, the Graduale SImplex and on occasion, the Graduale Romanum (when we must) :).