Role of the Cantor
  • CharlesW
    Mortal and venial. You folks have been reading those Scholastics again, haven't you? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    No, St. John. ;-)
  • CharlesW
    St. John didn't do Latin church philosophical constructions. When you think you are the center of the universe, you think it's all about you. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Wait...it's not?! Lol.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    The commandment (and Church law) requires attendance at Mass on Sunday. Not to do so is a mortal sin. Grave matter.

Someone who shows up at a church and is doing Ipod is.....not!! attending Mass. And since they showed up, it's QED that they knew they had to attend Mass. Only conditional still up in the air is 'intent.' But it's kinda hard NOT to have 'intent' when you plug the silly Ipod into your ear, ain'a?
  • Andrew Motyka
    Only conditional still up in the air is 'intent.'

Also, "full knowledge," which in today's normal atmosphere of lack-of-catechesis, is not a guaranteed thing.
  • rogue63
    Francis, if I slapped my wife in the face, it would be a mortal occasion of death for me. I guess some of you have some very patient wives!
  • CharlesW
    The commandment (and Church law) requires attendance at Mass on Sunday. Not to do so is a mortal sin. Grave matter.

Again, only in the Latin church. Eastern obligations to attend either Divine Liturgy or Vespers - either is acceptable - bind under an obligation of love, not sin.
  • CharlesW
    Francis, if I slapped my wife in the face, it would be a mortal occasion of death for me. I guess some of you have some very patient wives!

Moral of the story. Don't slap your wife! You will have a longer and more pleasant life.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • kenstb
    Happy wife equals happy life. Long life too..
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • francis
    QUALIFIER:

I have never slapped my wife, or any woman for that matter. It was just an example.
  • brndurham
    Personally, to get back on the subject, in some parishes a cantor is absolutely necessary. Take my own- I'm the cantor there, and I'm the only member of the choir in a non-singing parish. If parishes like these, no one would sing if there wasn't someone leading them. And besides, the congregation is certainly not going to each personally download Simple English Propers, learn to read chant notation, and start chanting the Introits, Alleluia verses, Offertory chants, and Communion chants all on their own accord. In a sleepy rural parish composed largely of middle-aged Italians, it doesn't work that way.
    Thanked by 3chonak Jenny CHGiffen